“I didn't think it was too bad”

Kaiyuan Lhasa Hotel Vip Building
Ranked #106 of 361 Hotels in Lhasa
Reviewed September 8, 2008

This hotel was recommended to us by the tour operator we used for the Lhasa stage of our China trip. It was listed as a 4-star hotel, but after having stayed in many hotels in China I've learnt to knock a star off the rating the hotel claims. So I was expecting to get a hotel that held a reasonable 3-star level, and that is pretty much what we got.

Our room was on the 2nd floor in the right hand wing facing the inner courtyard. The room was fairly small, and the bathroom was pretty basic. However, both the room and bathroom was reasonably clean. The bed was quite small and a little bit hard, but that is quite common in hotels in this part of the world so about as expected.

The buffet breakfast was pretty good, with a large selection of food including fruits. The main issue with the breakfast was that it was served in a restaurant right at the back of the hotel, so a bit of a trek from our room.

During our stay my wife felt unwell, possibly caused by the altitude, although no definite cause were ever found. She visited the hotel doctor and was prescribed some Chinese medicine as well as some Western medicine. She found the Chinese medicine to be completely ineffective and only made thigns worse, and it was also hard to swallow.

The hotel staff was quite friendly, although most spoke quite poor English.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Kaiyuan Lhasa Hotel Vip Building

Reviewed April 13, 2008

STAY AWAY,,,,The Lhasa Hotel was a total FILTHY DUMP. The beds were hard, the Bathroom was small and had plenty of Mold, the hallways dark and smelly,,,,Nothing was good and to think VIKING RIVER TOURS a 5 Star tour took us there for 3 nights. All I can say is stay away it shut be condemned......

Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank sjykna
Reviewed September 10, 2007

We stayed three nights at the Lhasa Hotel, and I couldn't wait to get out of the place -- it sort of overshadowed our trip to a place we thought would be the highlight of our month-long China/Tibet trip. We were with a tour group and stayed in Building #2. (I understand Building #1 has been renovated.) The carpets were stained both in the hallway and in our room, beds were as hard as concrete, and the mold in the bathroom disgusting. (The mold is a simple fix since there is now an Amway distributorship in Lhasa. I mentioned this to the front desk upon our departure and got a blank stare.) The grounds were not well maintained -- everything was either dry, dead, or both. Restaurant was OK -- ate a lot of yak, which we expected. Staff was efficient, but not "warm and fuzzy," unlike other Tibetans we had encountered in the market near the Jokhang Temple. You could feel the government presence. If the government wants to continue attracting tourists to this beautiful place, it needs to spiff-up it's accommodations, as Tibet is not a place for the faint of heart, and people need a nice place to recover after an arduous day sightseeing.

• Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank glogig
Reviewed August 15, 2007

We stayed for five nights at Lhasa Hotel. We found it confortable and handy, maybe somewhat away from the action - but very conveniently linked to it by the endless stream of taxis and rickshaws. The hotel room was spacious and clean, the bathroom had 24 hrs hot water, and the staff was helpful once you had found one that could speak english. Breakfasts had ample options, with all the amenities usually found in comparable hotels in the West. We would rank the hotel one notch above a Western three-star. We strongly disagree with the terrible references given by other travellers. It is true that Lhasa Hotel doesnt compare with Western five-stars, but it is still the best accommodation we found in Lhasa. The only annoyance were the renovation works going on, but that should be temporary. For those who might have troubles adjusting to the altitude, the hotel shop sells oxygen bottles for 30 yuan each, (one can find cheaper bottles in pharmacies).
In sum, a very decent place, although maybe not fancy, where we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank Romanreviewer
Reviewed July 4, 2007

I stayed in the Lhasa Hotel twice in June. In the first stay, I was in the newest wing, which is numbered "1". The rooms were pretty nice and the bathroom was in good condition. I wondered where all those negative reviews, calling the hotel filthy and falling apart, came from. The room was pretty comfortable, but hardly a four-star hotel room. There is no air conditioning in the hotel, in spite of a thermostat which says "cool" on it, and the fan on the system did not work.
In the second stay, I stayed in the oldest wing, numbered "2." Then I understood where the negative reviews came from. The room was pretty shabby and the bathroom had mold on the grout.
The Lhasa Hotel calls itself a four-star hotel. I think at least a couple of those stars are self-awarded, but I doubt that Tibet has a standardized system for hotel classification, anyway. In both stays, I found the staff to be pretty responsive and friendly, and the breakfast is pretty good. I routinely asked for fresh towels after taking a shower in the afternoon, which came within 5 minutes.

2  Thank MartineB
Reviewed June 3, 2007

Maybe in the summer and if there's not another hotel to stay at. terrible, the hotel is the worst i have ever stayed at and it's supposed to be the nicest in tibet. that's a scary thought. I have a feeling there are nicer places to stay. The rooms heater did not work, the bathroom was falling apart. the staff is terrible and the rest of the hotel is not heated, even the lobby felt like it was below freezing. the restaurant was nasty and the food even worse. we cut our trip short and got the heck out of there. i was going to upload some pictures but i don't think that's needed.... you all get my point.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with friends
2  Thank fletch3742
Reviewed May 30, 2007

Although this is supposed to be one of the nicest hotels in Lhasa, it is not a good place in almost every respect. Tibet itself is beautiful and fascinating, but if you have the choice, do not book at the Lhasa Hotel.

ROOMS: The rooms are spacious, but the one I stayed in was definitely dirty. For one thing, mold grew everywhere in the bathroom. Also, the carpet was stained and looked like it had not been vacuumed. Finally, there were crumbs of food on both a table AND the comforter. Yuck.

SERVICE: Awful. The guy at the front desk screamed (I am not exaggerating) at our tour guide, who asked him politely why our luggage had not been picked up to go back on our bus. The hotel manager lied and screamed that our luggage was not out by the agreed-upon time and that he'd walked up there himself. Major lie, since our luggage was out 15 minutes before that time. He then said, "If you don't like it here, don't stay here anymore!" Then he turned away and gave everyone in the lobby a look that said, "I dare you to come talk to me."

All of the wait staff at the main restaurant in the hotel act like they are doing a favor by serving you. Customer service in Tibet is many steps behind customer service in almost all other parts of Asia, including China.

Last story: we rented umbrellas, since the Tibetan sun is so strong. When we returned them, it took us 20 minutes to get our deposit back. There were plenty of staff standing around the reception desk, but none was the "cashier". I could normally understand this practice, but 20 minutes, while there were at least 4 other people standing there with nothing to do? Give me a break.

COMMON AREAS: All dark and dingy.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple