“Tibet Highland Tours makes the most isolated city more accessible”

Tibet Highland Tours-Day Tour
Ranked #10 of 38 Outdoor Activities in Lhasa
More attraction details
Owner description: Tibet Highland Tours, though not the largest company around, we are among the most experienced around. Our office managers have been working in tourism in Tibet for over 20 years and know all areas of Tibet extremely well. The company was started by local Tibetans, most of whom had been working for over 20 years already as tour guides, managers, and route builders. We can work with you to create the perfect itinerary suited specifically for you. Unlike many travel agencies that arrange tours to Tibet, we are not based in Beijing, Chengdu or Shanghai. We are based right in the heart of Lhasa, less than a 1 minute walk from Barkhor Square. All of our office staff, guides and drivers are Tibetans who are intimately familiar with Tibetan culture, language and religion. This gives us an advantage over most companies arranging travel to Tibet. Our company is not out just to make money. Our goal is to give back to as many poor Tibetan communities as possible. Several of our office staff are from remote, poor villages at the base of the Himalaya Mountains. A portion from each tour goes towards projects that we carry out in these communities.
Lansing, Michigan
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Tibet Highland Tours makes the most isolated city more accessible”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Tibet held a special interest to my friend and I, but as Americans traveling to Tibet is full of challenges. Tibet Highland Tours arranged our VISAs and train tickets relatively quickly considering all the red tape they had to cross. We are very thankful we were able to come. Tenzin is a more than hospitable host and checked on us throughout the trip to make sure we were taken care of, but he needn't worry; our guide Jampa was incredible. She was sincere and really lended necessary insight for non-Buddhists (my friend and I). It is hard to describe the boundless friendliness of the Tibetans, which extends to Jampa and Tenzin. They both made it their mission to help us understand their beliefs when we had questions, and Jampa made the temples in Lhasa much more accessible.

The price seemed fair compared to the competition and everything was well itemized. Both Lonely Planet and Fromers recommend them for a reason; there are no hidden costs. You pay, they take care of all the arrangements (housing, food, entrance fees, etc). Most important they are very good at arrranging VISAs within the context of travel restrictions--namely some foreigners are allowed and some aren't, it depends on the year.

They make good suggestions about itinerary, but they are very flexible and are very accomodating to your opinions. Additionally, they are aware of the challenges for most visitors at elevation; Lhasa is very high and it can be hard to even climb the temples at times. They are open to input from you. I would add that if you are the type of visitor who expects a hard and fast itinerary, this may not be the place to visit. Changing ordinances, new laws, new regulations for visitors will almost inevitably change the order of the itinerary. You just have to roll with it. We covered everything they suggested on our itinerary, but not in the same order--no problems.

Coming to Tibet seemed ambiguous at first. We weren't sure if it was going to happen until about two days before we boarded the train. But I want to assure you that the fault did not lay with Tenzin or Tibet Highland Tours. They kept us informed throughout the VISA process and helped arrange our travel to Lhasa. It seems ambiguous because Tibet is sensitive. Tenzin delivered everything he promised and tried to reassure us throughout the wait. We wouldn't have made it here without Tibet Highland Tours.

Coming to Tibet was an amazing experience. It was worth everything we invested (time and money) to come. It is the most unique culture and landscape in the world. My friend and I were not coming for religious reasons, but I can say that I am leaving happier (in the Buddhist tradition).

Visited April 2013
10 Thank TaylorA541

• Chinese (Traditional) first
KL
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Going to Tibet? Ask Tenzin!”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

My friends and I came back a few days ago from a tour in Tibet organized by Tibet Highland Tours. The trip had started out with quite a bit of tension in the air because we had not received our permits and tickets till the very last minute but in the end, everything worked out fine and it was hardly the agency's fault that the rules on permits keep changing. Tenzin was my contact person from THT and he is a fantastic person! He was quick to respond to any queries that I had in the planning stage...and I had MANY questions but he would answer each of them patiently. When we finally met up in Lhasa we had a good time chatting and he knew more things than our guide. Not to say that our guide wasn't good. He was, in fact, a very kind and gentle person.
Overall, I would strongly recommend Tibet Highland Tours to anyone planning a trip to Tibet and I would use them again if I return.

Visited June 2012
12 Thank truffleluv
Kunming, China
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Touring Tibet the right way...”
Reviewed May 3, 2012

This is my second time to Tibet, the first trip was in 1997. This time I took the advice of friends and booked with Tibet Highland Tours. From helping me to get the right permits, to knowing all the good, affordable, places to eatand stay Tibet Highland Tours took care of it all. I was with a group that was on a shoe string budget, and they treated us so well. I can't wait until I can come back to this amazingly beautiful land. You can be sure I won't use any other company next time.

Visited May 2012