“Indulge yourself in an amazing experience”
Review of Tibet Train

Tibet Train
Ranked #24 of 67 Tours in Lhasa
Type: Rail Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: The length of the railway is 1,956 km (1,215 mi). Construction of the 815 km (506 mi) section between Xining and Golmud was completed by 1984. The 1,142 km (710 mi) section between Golmud and Lhasa was inaugurated on 1 July 2006, by Chinese President Hu Jintao: the first two passenger trains were "Qing 1" (Q1) from Xining to Golmud, and "Zang 2" (J2) from Golmud to Lhasa. This railway is the first that connects the Tibet Autonomous Region to any other provinces. Tibet, due to its elevation and terrain, is the last provincial level region in China to have a railway. Testing of the line and equipment started on 1 May 2006. Passenger trains run from Beijing, Chengdu, Chongqing, Guangzhou, Shanghai, Xining, and Lanzhou.
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I had a soft sleeper from Chengdu to Lhasa (44 hours).

Bed is comfortable and there's enough space to move around. TV screen wasn't working though. There is an oxygen outlet in the room as well as at the corridor. You can also request for an oxygen nose tube.

You can choose to dine at the dining car or order a set/packed meal from them. Set meal is around 20-30 yuen. There is also push cart going around selling fruits & tidbits.

There is hot water available at the end of each the coach. We bought some instant noodles & instant rice from Chengdu before boarding the train. We alternated between instant meals & train meals.

Toilet can be crowded at times and be prepared for unflushed poo (common in China). The staff cleans it every day.

No shower available/needed as it is constant 20C in the train.

You can sit on the retractable chair along the corridor to enjoy the scenery - it is a very good experience .

5  Thank dwaynefoong

Reviewed July 24, 2013

This is the best trip so far of all my holiday trips ! Very thrill, keeping my fingers crossed not knowing whether I will survive thru as I am a hypertension patient. The scenery is remarkable that not words can describe.
Day 1 is from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia to Chengdu, visited Cunxi Road Commercial Street; after lunch, proceed to Chengdu airport for Xining. Visited Sun-Moon Mountain, Qinghai Lake, Taer Temple Kumbum Monastry, Huangyuan Dan Gar ancient City. After dinner, proceed to Xining railway station to Lhasa. Enjoyed the beautiful scenery along the 24 hours train journey. The itinerary covered Potala Palace, Jokhang Temple, Barkhor Street, Namtso Lake passed by Mountian Nagenla. On day 7, we travelled to Shannan, visited Yongbulakang Palace, Changzhug Temple and Samye Monastery. We left Lhasa airport on the 8th day back to Chengdu. Visited Jinli Street and Wangsha Stream Park before leaving for home. Hotels and meals are satisfactory. Overall, it was a very enjoyable trip that worth the RM6,806 nett all in fare. Proud to say that we, 20 pax of senior citizens made it ! All back home safely !

5  Thank Tania C
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We took the train (T24) from Lhasa to Chengdu on July 6 (2 days) solft sleeper and it has been a good experience. I sleep better on the train than not in some of the hotels where the travel agency put us (TIBETHIGHLANDTOURS did not do a good job by us). In fact the travel agency did not help me booking the train (they want me to pay extra a friend of them to do it) but I went to the train station and purchased them myself. What a view from the train!

8  Thank Adriana B
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We wanted to take this train for a long long time. Finally, we engaged our tour operator www.tourdays.cn to help us booked the ticket from Chengdu to Lhasa. The train depart on alternate day. Xuqiang, the tour organiser managed to get us the precious soft sleepers ticket (4 bunks to a cabin, door can be locked), kudos to his resourcefulness. He also arranged for all our permits so that we can enter Tibet for sightseeing.

Once we arrived at Chengdu Airport, Xuqiang has already prearranged a driver to pick us up to board the train at Chengdu Railway Station. There is a railway counter in the airport for you to pick up the railway tickets at a small fee of RMB5/ticket. All you need is your passport to collect the ticket. We found this mch better than collecting from the railway station itself as no queue and no need to walk far to the ticketing hall.

Once we have collected the ticket, the driver drove us to the railway station. There is a lounge for the soft sleeper ticket holder, FOC. We can sit inside the lounge, charge our phone. Once the train is ready for boarding, the lounge stewardess will announce and open the door that lead to the platform directly, seamless transition from lounge to train.

We bought a lot of tit bits and snacks on board the train. The dining car is next to our soft sleeper coach. The train stewardess will exchange a card with your train ticket, and swap back the ticket with you near the end of the journey. They will also ask for lunch/dinner order before meal time, and deliver the meal box to you if you decided to order from them. They also sell you medicines that will relieve high mountain sickness like Hongjingtian. We purchased a bottle from them. Hotwater supply available for making hot drinks and cooking cup noodles. Bring a tin mug and your own utensils, as well as tooth pick to stir your drinks, will come in very useful. We can lock our four-person cabin when we sleep at night. There are stall vendors that sell food and snacks at stations when the train stopped for 8-15 minutes. You can also buy food from these vendors. I have seen big chicken drumsticks being sold at the stall alongside noodles etc.

Once the train passed Xining station, which is the official start of Lhasa railway, the scenery will change to rolling hills. Do look out for wildlifes outside the window like the rare chiru, especially during the giving birth season in June when they travel in herds back to their breeding ground near a lake. The train track is elevated to allow free passage of wildlifes. The railway maintenance workers will salute the train as the train passed by their camps. The train also circumvent the Qinghai Lake, another nice scenery.We also saw eagle flying passed, and snow mountains even in June. Hard to take photos from the cabin as the windows are all enclosed, cos it is a pressurised cabin with extra oxygen pumped in.

My only grudge was the toilet. It was flooded due to chookage. The bed was very comfortable. I could sleep in it all day haha. I need to drag myself up the bed in the morning to capture the sunrise. The windows in the dining car next door is huge, so I just sat there to take pictures. The sockets in the train are not working, so I couldnt charge my handphone. The kind stewardess will bring your handphone to charge in her cabin if you request nicely. They are generally kind people, but guess the cleaning chores wear their patience down gradually.

The train will normally arrive at Lhasa punctually. The police will escort you to your guide from the Lhasa station. It is important that your guide wait for you outside the station. We were pleasantly surprised that tourdays sent us an English speaking tourguide, who was a godsend as my friend coulc converse with him easily on English.

It is an unforgetable experience to take this train. The government is extending the line all the way to the Nepalese border. Next time i can try the phase two of this train, from Lhasa to nepal!

7  Thank Jollyshandy
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We took the Tangula Train from Xining to Lhasa and were impressed about the wonderful landscape during this trip.

The tickets are more than double price if you buy them through an agency, but it would be difficult to buy them on place - however if you may contact someone (a local person living at one of the train stations), you can get the same tickets very cheap. We bought 4 tickets "soft-sleeper" to have a compartment just for us 2 which worked fine. However this can't be granted in advance - even the whole train trip can't be granted as the train might be reserved on short term by the government. This is certainly a negative point.

The service and staff in the train is friendly but rather distant; in the restaurant they are not really motivated and if you like to order somethiing outside the official meal-hours it depends on the (mainly low) motivation of the chief if you'll get something.

Overall I consider this trip as an one-time-in-life experience, definitely to recommend.

2  Thank Culturetraveller12