“bored train ride” 2 of 5 bubbles

Tibet Train
Ranked #24 of 39 Tours in Lhasa
Type: Rail Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Riding a Tibet train to Lhasa has become a rather good choice of travelling to Tibet with the completion of the world's highest railway, the Qinghai-Tibet Railway. Taking a train to Tibet is even the top choice for many foreign tourists to Tibet for a Tibet train tour is really so impressive both because of the breathtaking scenery along the Qinghai-Tibet Railway and the railway itself. Of course, enjoying the high-quality services on the best train in China is also a wonderful experience.
Malaysia
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“bored train ride”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

6 of us took the train out from Lhasa on June 7, 2012, we managed to book soft berth, 4 to a room. Scenery was spectacular along the plateau and grasslands especially Mt Tangula, but it was bored all the way. TV and videos were out. We hardly could nap, as it was full with soldiers going to Chengdu. Food was costly and not to our liking, luckily we were well prepared with Maggi and Nescafe, Malaysian trusted brands. There were may stops, but we were not allowed to go down. We reached June 9 morning.

Visited June 2012
4 Thank lianhuamin

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Dont expect the Orient Express”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

After reading the previous reviews i feel my experience is diminished. However I will lay down my tuppence worth.

I could have easily flown as train vs plane was near same price. I wanted to go by train so I could see all the scenery etc. That I will never forget. I was disgusted when dusk sat in as I knew i would be missing out til the next morning! For that alone it was worth going by train.

The train itself is average, no place to charge phones and I had 2 Tibetans beside me spitting on the carpet until i gave them the 1,000 yard stare.

I was fairly prepared with coffee, pot noodles crisps etc so was happy enough. Food cart was open and the food was very good there in fairness.

I'd recommend train up plane back to Chengdu.

Visited March 2012
6 Thank Tosh33
Chongqing
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Do not want to take the train to Lhasa again. I prefer air”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

It is really hard to take the train to Lhasa coz there is no privacy room for 2 people.

Though the sceney on the way is spectacular, we still spent two days on the train and we are not allowed to go out on the station.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank Ronbk B
Adrada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Tibet is different from our culture and history”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

We always choose the destination that is totally different from our daily life but attracted us much.

Tibet is such a place that has unique attractions such as Buddhism history and lifestyle, clothing and so on. People there are very friendly and devout. And that's why Tibet is the holy land in the world in our heart.

Am I right?

Visited August 2011
5 Thank JanaB90
Kuala Lumpur
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Not all that it appears to be...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

We took the Chengdu to Lhasa express on 18th may 2012. Almost immediately, things started going wrong. All 3 sinks in the first class coach did not work and were 'sealed' shut.. Then we discovered for the entire 44 hour journey , there was no dining coach. We sustained ourselves on cookies, pot noodles and instant coffee and whatever food we could buy from the vendors when we stopped at the stations.
The sleeping berths were adequately comfortable but they are certainly not First class as advertised. Then there were sectors where the toilets did not work and we had to encounter sights like unflushed poo when we had to use them.
The scenery was breathtaking though but I will never take the train to Tibet again. it is not worth the money we paid for.

Visited May 2012
3 Thank Wishdocbrian
Sindy L, Guest Relations Manager at Tibet Train, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
There is a dining car on each train to Tibet. A general cook house next to the first class soft-berth sleeper is equipped on each Tibet train and offers passengers 3 meals a day. Besides, a dining room adhere to the cook house provides tables and seats for those who would like to appreciate the spectacular scenery outside the train window while enjoying their food. (resource from: http://www.tibettravel.org/tibet-train/dining-car.html )