“Luxury on the world's rooftop”

St. Regis Lhasa Resort
Ranked #1 of 343 Hotels in Lhasa
Singapore, Singapore
“Luxury on the world's rooftop”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

St. Regis Lhasa has a very unique decoration compared to other St. Regis I visited, in a good way. I like the many wood elements, it feels luxury and cosy. The hall with a full glass penal facing the Potala Palace is stunning. I was immediately greeted by the staffs and the check in was smooth. I stayed at 2 different types of room, 1 garden view and 1 Potala Palace view. In my opinion, I prefer the garden view, given the privacy and peacefulness. The Potala Palace view could be noisier as it is closer to the main road and if you want a good view, I suggest you to go to the balcony outside the main hall for better view without the glass window. I am not sure if it's just my room, but the Potala Palace room I had is quite a long walk to the entrance which is another thing I do not like.

From the hotel to the main road is a short walk with slope, which could be tiring after a whole day's activities outside at this altitude but not too big a problem. I guess this provided the hotel with better seclusion, but getting a taxi to go in or wait for the staffs to call a taxi into the main entrance is rather troublesome.

Breakfast was... hmm rather below St. Regis' standard.

Overall a good and comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Room with Potala Palace view could be noisier and further away from the entrance.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SILW
Cherry L, Manager at St. Regis Lhasa Resort, responded to this review, August 18, 2013

Warm Greetings from the Roof of the World, the St. Regis Lhasa Resort.

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to write a review for us, we are happy to hear you had a memorable time during your stay in our resort.

We appreciate your positive comments and feedback; furthermore we hope to welcome you back to St. Regis Lhasa Resort in the very near future.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Los Altos, California
Reviewed July 3, 2013

An absolute gem in the heart of Lhasa, with huge rooms, impeccable service and excellent food. I highly recommend it to anyone planning a visit to Lhasa. Anyone who thinks a visit to Lhasa might involve 'roughing it' will be pleasantly amazed by their stay at the St. Regis

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Bruce H
Cherry L, Manager at St. Regis Lhasa Resort, responded to this review, July 8, 2013

New York City, New York
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Echoing the other reviews. Hotel is good, great design, clean rooms, and good location. Service was personal and sincere. While we didn't see all the hotels, I'd imagine that this is the best hotel in Lhasa.

However, it is clear that the staff needs better training to get to the level one expects at a St. Regis. Employees seem sincere, but they don't always know how to respond to requests. We couldn't even order room service by phone for breakfast. Also service responses seem very rule-based, which may show that employees aren't given latitude to respond to specific scenarios.

Again, great physical hotel. Service has room to improve.

Room Tip: Ask for a Potala view (although may be an upcharge)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ezraulo

Warm Greetings from the Roof of the World, the St. Regis Lhasa Resort.

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We appreciate receiving feedback and it is always shared with our team here.

I also want to take this opportunity to proudly let you know that we will be enhancing our signature St. Regis service in the near future for all our guests to experience;

We hope to welcome you back to St. Regis Lhasa Resort in the very near future.

Warm regards,
Katy, Texas
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed at St. Regis Lhasa for three nights in June, 2013 as part of a river cruise package. It was a fantastic experience. We did not have any problems during the entire stay and what some people have considered "glitches" was never a problem for us.

Depending on which room you stay there is a short walk from the lobby but nothing that should be considered a hassle, especially for people going to a 3,750 meters high place. I found the oxigen canister very quick because I always check all drawers in all cabinets when I first get to any hotel. I was glad to find a bottle of a decent Chilean wine by the oxigen cylinder...

We have never had a problem with housekeeping. On the contrary, we had to refuse service when they came to clean a second time.

We have considered St. Regis Lhasa one of the best hotels we have ever stayed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Aidner

Warm Greetings from the Roof of the World, the St. Regis Lhasa Resort.

we hope to welcome you back to St. Regis Lhasa Resort in the very near future.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Stayed four nights in May. The room is very spacious. However it is quite a bit walk from my room
to the chinese restaurant in another wing. ( changing two elevators and asked direction from hotel staff). the hotel layout is bit strange to me, i spoke chinese, so it is easier for me to communicate with staff. The housekeeping service has a lot to improve. My bathroom sink need to be cleaned as i was sick on one morning and vomited, i was too weak to clean my self. It took quite a bit of effort to get someome help with cleaning. ( three phone calls and still it is not cleaned). I would not complaint on this if it is Holiday Inn, however it is St Regis and i do have higher expectation.
In the end, the butler came, he helped with a bit cleaning, but far from through. As i said, i speak Chinese, it is lot easier for me to communicate, it can be a problem for someone who do not speak chinese.

Room Tip: request the Room in the MAIN Wing, since some rooms are quite far away. The long walk makes harder i...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 608Jack

Warm Greetings from the Roof of the World, the St. Regis Lhasa Resort.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at St. Regis Lhasa Resort.

We would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience our service may have caused you. Your comments about the Housekeeping Service have been well documented and will certainly be looked into. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest service and to rectify any other existing issues present.

We would like to apologize again and we look forward to warm welcoming you back to our resort again in the near future. Thank you!

Warm regards,
Longwood, Florida
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Talk about a 5 star hotel in a out of the world location....hey had us captivated the moment we hit the doors. The lobby was beautiful. The staff greeting us upon arrival made us fell as if we were the most important people in the world. As you check in reception takes your passports. a little while after we start to unpack there is a knock on our door. Two of the staff are standing there holding a Birthday Cake for me. When checking the passports they noticed that I was going to have a big Birthday coming up, What a pleasant surprise. Hotel breakfast was excellent. I am only marking sleep quality as average because I found it hard to sleep due to the high altitude and thin air.The only problem with Lhasa is the altutude. The country is beautiful and the people are very friendly.

Room Tip: There were no bad rooms
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Fred L
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback from your recent stay at our hotel.

All of your comments will be shared with the team. We're glad to know that you are satisfied with our service.

British Columbia
Reviewed June 7, 2013

The St Regis is a new hotel that has a great lobby (if you are not handicapped). Floors in the lobby are a mixture of carpet, wood and natural stone which makes for uneven walking. Most people probably won't notice it but it was difficult for one of the ladies in our tour group.
The room was enormous and at first glance well appointed. I loved the soaker tub but the shower (rain head) did not seal and flooded the water closet (toilet area) every time we had a shower.
There is oxygen in the room but it is hidden in a bureau drawer.
I had mild altitude sickness while in Lhasa and appreciated the movie channels on the satellite tv while I took it easy.
The only glitch with the room was one day while we were out all day our room was not cleaned. We're ok with that as long as we get clean towels.
The main restaurant was fairly good - the menu items were better and hotter than the buffet but comes at a premium. Breakfast was average. Be warned, Tibetans serve their beer and soda at room temperature. The only cold beer was Budweiser (tap) that had been pre-poured and was flat as a result.
Again having good guides helps to see the city and highlights.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple