“A great hotel”

Ranked #1 of 341 Hotels in Lhasa
surrey
“A great hotel”
Reviewed May 23, 2012

A very enjoyable stay - the hotel manager goes out of his way to welcome guests and make sure they are comfortable.

Lovely large room overlooking ornamental pool - it was ground floor, so had to keep blinds drawn as both bathroom and bedroom areas had large floor-ceiling windows and people occasionally walked past outside.

Very pleasant library/sitting area - some interesting books. A lovely pool, albeit rather small and a bit difficult to locate (hotel signposting could be improved).

Good food and service in the restaurants. Not all staff are fluent in english, but are friendly and helpful - quickly find an english speaking colleague if communication becomes a problem.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank a m
Edward K, Manager at St. Regis Lhasa Resort, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Dear a m,

Thank you so much for your review. I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed it.

Please rest assured that continues English training is being conducted in the hotel and we are working to improve the signs in and around the hotel.

I look forward to welcome you back to our Resort in the future.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 22, 2012

To start I need to say how much I loved this hotel. (We came here after our stay at the Shanghai Peninsula and before the Aman in Bhutan for reference).

First, the outdoor public areas were so beautiful and matched the splendor of our rooms inside. We had a beautiful view of the himalayas out our suite windows in addition to a very minimalist designed room that put us in the Asian frame of mind. We loved wandering the property and also relaxing in our room looking out at the majesty of Tibet.

The location was also awesome. It was in walking distance from a lot of great sites and also easy to get a taxi.

Most of the service we experienced was great. The doormen were always so friendly and nice. I'm not sure why people are posting negatives about the language barrier since we had no trouble. We did not utilize our free breakfasts as we really never eat breakfast, and if we do it's usually not at a hotel, so I can't comment about the experience there. We did however eat dinner there once since we were exhausted after trekking and found the service wonderful and food delicious (this coming from very picky people). True, our server's helper didn't speak english but if we had a question she immediately went to get the main waitress. I thought the staff was absolutely lovely.

Only negatives:
1.Glass door for the toilet area was a bit awkward.
2. We met our butler only once at check-in and never heard from him again the whole stay even after a generous tip on our part.
3. Long walk up to the property without outdoor lights leading way. We love walking especially after exploring at night. When you enter the hotel grounds you still have a long way to walk to get the check in which is fine because then it's quieter, we just wished there were lights leading the way since we almost got run over by taxis pulling through and tripped over the cobblestone.

But these minor annoyances in no way hindered our experience in Lhasa. I cannot wait to return or recommend this hotel to anyone planning on staying in Tibet.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing the mountains.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Edward K, Manager at St. Regis Lhasa Resort, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Dear luxurylover86,

Warm greetings from "the Roof of the World" The St. Regis Lhasa Resort!

Thank you for your kind review, and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Also, thank you for the constructive feedback with regards to the glass door, butler visibility and outdoor lighting, they are well noted and we will follow up accordingly where necessary.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to Lhasa and our beautiful resort in the future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We had a really enjoyable stay in this hotel, we had no complaints of a serious nature at all.We find some of the complaints in previous reports almost unbelievable.This is Lhasa, not the easiest place to be trying to run a luxury hotel, we think the management are doing a great job, in sometimes difficult circumstances.We had very good meals,and while it is true that not all the staff in the dining room have got the hang of English, they very smartly found someone who had.The breakfast was very good, good quality squeezed orange juice, excellent coffee, and a full range of breakfast items. there is free wifi all over the hotel which we really appreciated.
For those who think this hotel is not up to scratch we would suggest a trip to some of the hotels outside Lhasa, believe me, I dreamt about the St Regis for 5 long nights To compare it to other Chinese hotels is unfair, the difficulties of running a hotel here must be taken into account..The staff are young ,enthusiastic,and keen to do anything they can for you, a very different attitude to that which is encountered outside Lhasa..The senior dining room staff were as professional as any we have come across in good hotels.The rooms are very comfortable, though perhaps a manual on the many lighting combinations might not go amiss, it took us a whole night to finally turn off the night lights!The coffee was not replenished, but it wasn't too hard to simply ask for more, which was done at once.Our kettle had a problem which was also dealt with immediately.All in all ,a very nice stay, in definitely the best hotel in Lhasa.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Edward K, Manager at St. Regis Lhasa Resort, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Dear llewellynroger,

Warm greetings from "the Roof of the World" The St. Regis Lhasa Resort!

Thank you for posting your tripadvisor review and I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Please rest assured that we have taken note of the few comments you have made, and immediate improvements will be in place.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Lhasa, and The St. Regis Lhasa Resort!

Denver, CO
Reviewed May 20, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a 3 night stay at the St. Regis Lhasa. We booked the hotel based on reputation and the ability to redeem Starwood points for our stay.
The hotel and the grounds are beautiful but beyond that, there are some serious problems that need to be addressed.
I would not be quote so picky about some of these things if this wasn't a supposed luxury hotel, but it is so here goes:
1. The carpets in the hallways to the guest rooms are FILTHY. Beyond needed to be cleaned; they need to be replaced.
2. Housekeeping did not leave shampoo in our shower; instead they left two body washes and a conditioner.
3. Housekeeping did not refill the complimentary in-room tea during our stay. I recognize that we could have called and requested more tea, but it should happen automatically and a property like this.
4. The humidifier that was sent to our room to use (a necessity at 13,000 feet) was dirty and moldy. Anyone who has used a humidifier knows these have to be cleaned almost daily or you are just putting mold in the air. We asked for a 2nd humidifier once we realized the first one was so dirty and it too was dirty. They finally cleaned one for us but it shouldn't have been a problem in the first place.
5. The room set-up is odd. Other people have mentioned the glass door to the toilet. It's a real problem.
6. The breakfast buffet was horrendous. If you can make your way to the egg and waffle station, I recommend it. When we visited, the buffet was so packed I ended up waiting 15 minutes to get scrambled eggs and 1/2 a waffle. The chinese breakfast (which is what I prefer to eat when I am in China) was disgusting. The grossest congee I've ever had. Definitely not made fresh each morning. The dim sum was dry and tasteless. Nobody ever came back to our table after seating us to I had to get up and refill my tea myself. I also wanted juice but nobody ever stopped running long enough for me to even ask. Finally, my husband asked for green tea with his breakfast and they gave him a green tea bag. Are you kidding me? A hotel like this should not only be using loose green tea but should be embarrassed to be serving bag team period. When he complained, they offered to make him proper tea, but shouldn't they just do that automatically.
7. The hotel puts a fruit plate in each room upon your arrival. I would think these would come from the kitchen but we spied already plated, saran-wrapped plates of fruit in the credenza outside the elevators.
8. Many of the line staff speak little to no english. This was actually the only time we encounter this at a western hotel chain during our 2 weeks in China.

I could go on and on but I think that covers about everything. I am fortunate that we paid very little to stay at the hotel. If I had paid rack rate of $350-$400 per night I would be demanded a refund and moved to a less expensive hotel.

I will say that the management listed to our complaints but in the end, it sounds like their hands are tied by the ownership and can't address many of the constant complaints that they receive.

5 Thank vastephl
Dear vastephl,

Warm greetings from “The roof of the World” The St. Regis Lhasa Resort!

Thank you for your feedback both during your stay and here again on Tripadvisor.

As I mentioned to you last week at the hotel, that we value your feedback, and that based on your comments, we have already implemented several actions to improve. Furthermore, I hope that during your stay, all the measures we took to make your stay more comfortable and enjoyable were appreciated.

Please feel free to contact me at any time if you need any assistance for your future travels to our Hotel.

Newport Beach, California
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,195 helpful votes
Reviewed May 11, 2012

My partner and I just returned from a 3 week holiday in China, during which we stayed 3 nights at the St. Regis Lhasa. (For comparison purposes, we also stayed at the Aman at Summer Palace in Beijing; the Shangri-la Guilin; the Banyan Tree Lijiang; the Songtsam Retreat in Zhongdian/Shangri-la; the Sofitel Xi'an; and the Peninsula Shanghai.)

Though this hotel is unquestionably the nicest hotel in Lhasa or Tibet, its service and English language challenges make it difficult to rate. No matter how you look at it, however, this hotel does NOT come close to equaling a St. Regis anywhere else in the world in terms of service. If you stay here understanding that it's not close to being equal to a St. Regis in terms of service for a Western/English speaking guest, you will be perfectly fine. If you stay here expecting the typical St. Regis experience, you will be, as we were, vastly disappointed for the money.

The positives:

(1) Very beautiful property, definitely looking like the part of a 5 star St. Regis property.
(2) Very warm, friendly staff who try very hard to please--even if they cannot understand you or do not understand proper service.
(3) Our original Shigatse Suite was large and spacious.
(4) Our move to the Everest Suite, because of many problems--was impressive. One of the nicest looking suites we've seen, with an great but distant view of the Potala Palace.
(5) The Assistant GM and the Operations Manager are amazing, wonderful professionals, trying to run a 5 star hotel almost on their own, as mentioned in previous reviews. They absolutely went out of their way to try and fix everything that so often went wrong. They were pros. They spent tons of time with us. We got to know them both, and liked them very much and even invited them to visit with us if they ever get out to our nearby St. Regis in Monarch Beach, CA.
(6) Our final dinner, in our suite and free of charge to make up for the many egregious issues we had experienced, was the second best meal we had in China, a 4 course Western menu infused with Tibetan touches, prepared specially for us by their visiting chef from Xi'an.
(7) The two female employees who helped us in the gift shop were absolutely charming.
(8) Vincent, a bartender, was gracious and sweet, even if terribly slow at preparing drinks in an empty bar. He put up with perhaps the most obnoxious (American, unfortunately) female guest we've ever had the misfortune to meet, who verbally abused him in the most horrible manner, and he continued to smile and be friendly. Amazing.
(9) Location. For us, it was pretty convenient--just a 10 minute walk tops to the Tibetan Quarter, or a very short taxi ride (at 10 yuan, a bargain). Not right in the center of things, but pretty darn close. Temples and monasteries are all about a 15-30 minute drive.

The negatives (prepare yourself):

(1) LANGUAGE IS A TRUE BARRIER HERE. If you speak English or do not speak Chinese or Tibetan, prepare yourself for a lot of challenges, even more so than can be typically experienced in China. This was the worst hotel we stayed at in this regard--without question. The stereotype of the Chinese server saying "yes, I understand" and not really having a clue is at its apex here. Maybe it is culture, but I would think a proper staff training could resolve or at least mitigate this issue. Check-in. Room service. Breakfast buffet. It was ubiquitous. And it grew quite wearisome, to be honest. We are experienced world travelers who love new cultures and foreign lands. But one of the reasons we pay a lot to stay at 5 star hotels is to avoid what we experienced here.
(2) SERVICE IS A NIGHTMARE HERE, EVEN BEYOND LANGUAGE ISSUES. This is unforgivable to us. Even after you get past language, the service still can be horrible. It's almost shocking how bad it got. After nightmares with the breakfast buffet (which was paid as part of our room rate), the hotel agreed to let us do room service instead. They still screwed it up--repeatedly. When we finally had the English-speaking Operations Manager take our breakfast order the final night, they still completely screwed up our order the next morning. Multiple errors. Multiple omissions. They even forgot the coffee, for God's sake! Absolutely unreal.
(3) The Shigatse Suite was a bit disappointing, to be honest. Very large and spacious, indeed, but under-designed and felt woefully empty of furnishings. There was practically no art on the walls at all. For a Suite? Avoid Shigatse Suite Room 1203, to be sure. The dividing partitions between the living room and bedroom were slatted dividers, meaning you could still see between the rooms when closed off, and light certainly could shine through--soundly defeating the purpose of a what it means to be a true one bedroom suite. And there was NO divider at all between the bedroom and the bathroom! The bathroom was enormous but felt vacuous--and the toilet room had a glass door, for some bizarre reason, totally precluding privacy. Really? To top it off, there was a step up to the bathroom from both the bedroom and the main living room hallway--which we constantly tripped over during our brief stay in the room. Not well designed AT ALL. For the money, we assume a regular non-suite room with bath and bedroom being on the same level would be better...but we have no idea if they were smart enough to design the regular rooms in that manner. (Obviously, the Chinese built the hotel, so St. Regis must suffer the result.) There also was no view except of the internal pond--not terribly impressive for being a Suite in Lhasa.
(4) The Everest Suite was beautiful, well appointed and well furnished in all the ways that were lacking in the Shigatse Suite, with a dining area and living area, a "separate" master bedroom (again with partial doors), and a bathroom (again, with no door). The bathroom was accessed (with an annoying step, still) from the back of the bedroom, so it was more private. But the black out shades here were ANYTHING BUT black out. In the Shigatse Suite, we had total darkness. In the more expensive Everest Suite, we had light bleeding in as soon as the sun rose. AN EASY FIX and stupid error. Again, the dividing doors between bedroom and living room were partial. Another easy fix, if you ask me. The deck was huge, with the hotel's best view onto the Potala Palace, even if it is slightly blocked by an annoying building in front.
(5) CONFUSING/POOR LAYOUT. There are several buildings, oriented in confusing ways. From the lobby (3rd floor), we took the elevator down to get to our Shigatse Suite on the 2nd floor. For our Everest Suite, we had to take the lobby elevator down to the 1st floor, walk outside, down a path adjacent to some scary looking neighboring buildings separated by electrified fence--really--and then walk into another building, and take another elevator to the 6th floor. It might not seem like much, but after a few trips, we must say this might be the most annoying hotel we've ever stayed at in terms of getting around...EVER. Only the MGM Grand in Las Vegas might challenge here...and that isn't saying much.

All in all, the St. Regis is a quandary. It's a beautiful property, but oddly configured. It has nice rooms, but with all sorts of stupid issues that add up. Especially for the prices charged. And we haven't even begun to discuss the service and language issues--insanity doesn't even begin to describe our experience. Even with their management team taking pains to try and restore the St. Regis name in our minds, it was an uphill battle that never succeeded in the end. The management team is top drawer. The hotel, in our estimation, is not.

Would we stay again? If ever in Lhasa, it would be a tough choice. Without any other luxury property at the moment, we likely would stay here, albeit saving money and perhaps selecting a less expensive room--since we aren't likely to get the service we should be getting for more money, anyway. But with other prestige chains looking to build, I imagine there will be new choices--and competition. I can only hope that the St. Regis can get its act together if it wants to attract the non-Chinese clientele. For the time being, this hotel is only well suited for the Chinese.

3 Thank Bill R
Edward K, Manager at St. Regis Lhasa Resort, responded to this review, May 13, 2012
Dear Tar Heel Bill 92,

Warm greetings from "the Roof of the World" The St. Regis Lhasa Resort!

Thank you for all your constructive feedback and as I mentioned when we met I hope that we resolved the issues you encountered during your stay.

usa
Reviewed May 8, 2012

St. Regis Lhasa Resort in Tibet is chic, sophisticated and stylish yet at the same time very comfortable.  No expense was spared to make this hotel paradise. We have traveled all over the world to the finest hotels and the St. Regis in Lhasa is absolutely amazing. The hotel is gorgeous, there are no other words to describe it. Look at the photos on their website as it really looks just like the pictures.

A picturesque reflecting pool contributed to the wonderful ambience of the resort. The lobby is decorated with original works of art and is classy, tastefully designed. It has a wonderful indoor/outdoor seating area in front of a huge, seamless floor to ceiling glass wall with views of the Potala Palace, Lhasa and the Himalayas. There is a large separate library area for sitting, conversation and socializing. It was elegant and spectacular yet it was also warm and homey. A great place to unwind after touring.

The concierge, Jackey Lob Sang, handled all of our arrangements seamlessly. He was always there to answer any questions and make recommendations. I would also recommend the hotel's airport pickup and drop-off service as it made arriving and departing effortless.

Our room was elegant, stylish and spacious. The  room was gorgeous, it was decorated with beautiful photos, furniture and artwork. The room is as big as a villa. It had a living room and a separate area for a desk and armoire . The furnishings were upscale and included an LCD TV and iPhone sound dock. The room had beautiful decorative objects throughout.
The bathroom had a free-standing soaking bathtub facing snow-capped mountains. There is a separately enclosed rainforest shower. There are double sinks.

The bed and linens were wonderful quality. There were plush bathrobes and slippers. Butler service is  24 hours a day and they us brought  tea, coffee, cookies and water on request. The butler also unpacked our luggage. There is free internet throughout the hotel.

The spa is beautiful and serene. The full size swimming pool is lined with real gold leaf tiles and over-the-top luxurious.

Service was wonderful, everyone was very helpful and friendly. The food was also very excellent.  Breakfast buffet was terrific with a huge selection of high quality food; fresh fruit, hot and cold dishes, noodle station, dim sum, fresh salad, Japanese food, deserts.  It was like a breakfast banquet. In addition to the western restaurant, Social, which serves buffet and a la carte there are a Chinese restaurant with indoor/outdoor seating and a Tibetan restaurant.

This hotel is truly a posh, serene resort and staying here made our vacation in Tibet enjoyable and memorable. I cannot say enough good things about such a beautiful and unique property, it's attention to detail and service. It is a rare find.

2 Thank TandLtravel
Edward K, Manager at St. Regis Lhasa Resort, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Dear bespoketravel,

Warm greetings from "the Roof of the World" The St. Regis Lhasa Resort!

Thank you so much for your review, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and I hope I will be able to welcome you back to our Resort.

singapore
Reviewed May 2, 2012

St Regis was astonishing for its genuinely warm caring service - this made our stay unforgettable. The staff and management at this hotel were wonderfully kind and genuinely friendly throughout our two stays. The hotel is very comfortable, clean, has great buffets for breakfast and dinner. Thank you to Edvard and his team for an unforgettable Tibetan experience. We are widely travelled and have never had such great service. One warning - no-one ever tells you just how difficult it is to adapt to the high altitude and the lack of oxygen - but the hotel staff are all helpful and you may need the oxygen canisters in the room - as we did. We also appreciated having a hotel doctor available. GD and JD

Room Tip: ask for a view of the Potala Palace
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank julia d
Edward K, Manager at St. Regis Lhasa Resort, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Dear julia d,

Thank you so much for your review, I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

On behalf of the entire St. Regis Team, we hope to welcome you back to our Resort on the Roof of the World.