“Above Average”

Ranked #12 of 344 Hotels in Lhasa
Vancouver, Canada
“Above Average”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

The room itself was very clean and large. No view. While I didn't need their services for altitude sickness, several in my group did, and they were very accommodating with providing oxygen. Breakfast was fine. Agree that the beds were rock hard, though my fatigue overcome that! Rugs in reception area of lobby badly needed cleaning. I sent some laundry down, and while it came back promptly, it looked as though it had been a tad "beat up." I asked for an adjustment and they would only give me a 5 yuen discount. So, don't use their laundry services! The location isn't the greatest...not a lot to do or see right around the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Anne Marie F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Stayed at the hotel from September 27-29. Nice and clean but the bed was as hard as a rock. If I had an extra blanket, I would have slept on the comforter and covered up with the blanket. Would not stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 523Traveler
California
Reviewed September 29, 2012

After reading the previous negative room comments - I must have stayed in a higher category room. I loved the nice room decor and humidifier. There was always someone at the front desk that spoke English. The buffet was ample and I appreciated the free internet usage. Although I liked the hotel, I agree that the floors/carpet in the public areas appeared to be neglected and stayed dirty for most of the time. My room was facing a busy street so I did hear noise throughout the day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank pghs67
Washington, DC
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We recently returned from a 3-week trip to China and spent two nights in Tibet at the Xin Ding Hotel. The location was excellent, but the hotel itself was a disappointment. The hotel lobby was beautiful, but the staff did not speak English. Our room had no view, had dirty carpets, and was dry and smelled of mold, probably from the humidifier in the room. We had to run the humidifer because my husband and I were both so dried out from the altitude and the temperature. The humidifer had orange mold in it! I worked and worked to get it out, and did a good job, but I came down with a head cold a few days later and wonder if the mold was the problem. We stayed in eight hotels in China, and seven of them had fabulous breakfast selections and service. The Xin Ding was the exception. Other than the egg station, the selection was dismal. There was no yogurt, the pastries were few, and even the Chinese menu was not especially good. Our bed was as hard as a board, very uncomfortable. I worked hard to figure out how to use the room safe, and could not get the door to close so I could enter the code. This was not a problem in any other hotel in China. I would not recommend this hotel as there were many others in Lhasa with good reviews and equally good locations.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Barglox

Travelers are raving about these Lhasa hotels

Texada Island, Canada
Reviewed May 16, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights and had no complaints of the temperature in the room. We had reserved one queen bed and received a twin. We did not have a "view" room, but we could get lovely pic by opening up the screen and getting a very good shot of the Potala palace.
Breakfast was good- made to order eggs (if and when you could communicate for someone to find the cook to do so) toast, the best ever packaged honey, 3 choices of fresh fruit, juices (again if they were empty try and find someone to fill the juice up) and an assortment of mystery hot dishes. The hot dishes each morning were plentiful but no one seemed to eat them. It appeared each day the dishes were simply reheated.
Our room 8415 was quiet, good corner peak a boo of the Potato palace.
Lots of local restaurants close by, but can be a challenge as not English friendly, so decided to eat at the Xin Ding on the last night. Pressure was to eat the buffet which was expensive and we wanted something light. They had very few items that were listed on the Western menu, all of which were expensive.
Staff all had smiles and greetings of "how are you?", etc, but we could not find anyone that could exchange us for a queen bed, answer any questions on how far is the airport (about 1 hour drive) or where recommended restaurants were.
The gift shop sold t-shirts and other tourist items as cheap as on the street.
Location: Not overly great. Was quiet but walking to "Tibet old town" was a good 15 min, not all that pleasant of a walk.
If we were to go back, I would possibly look at something more central to "Tibet old town".

Room Tip: Room 8415 is not a view room, but you can get a view by leaning out of the window. On the 4th floor...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Teresa H
Maryland
Reviewed November 19, 2011

Like the other reviews, this is a mixed bag. The view from our room was fantastic - a straight shot of the Portola Palace. The room was a little worn, but the bed was comfortable and the shower was good. The problem was the room, and the hotel, were freezing. They brought us a funky heater which helped, but we had to wear our coats to breakfast. Our group had a special lunch upon our arrival which was excellent, but the breakfast and dinner buffet was quite mediocre. Even little things like orange juice they couldn't get right - they have it for dinner but not for breakfast! Despite this, the hotel has some charm, and could be a good hotel if more attention was paid to these services.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the Portola
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CA-MR
UK
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I was recently in Lhasa on holiday, and stayed at the Xin Ding Hotel for 3 nights. The location was good, and I think the facilities were adequate, but the service was appalling. I initially thought my headaches and nausea were due to the altitude, but later realised it was because of lack of ventilation - I felt a lot better outdoors. It was very warm in the room but despite repeated requests, the staff would not turn down the thermostat. On the second day, the room was not cleaned, until we made a specific request at 2 pm, and we had already been out all day. While breakfast looked good, it was cold. I don't know why they didn't light the gas burners. Most important, beware of hidden costs - everything is charged, though not clearly shown as such. Water, playing cards, laundry bag ... I recommend a trip to Lhasa, but certainly not a stay at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family