“A little hideaway treasure!”

Le Shang Restaurant
Ranked #24 of 2,718 Restaurants in Nanjing
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Thailand
“A little hideaway treasure!”
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

We have been here several times, always with the same impression of an honest menu with reasonable prices and with tasty food!!

The goose liver pate is the best we have had (in China)!! Main courses are quickly served (too quick sometimes - better to give a small break of 5 or 10 minutes to enjoy the pleasant atmosphere and cute environment in this tiny place).

Deserts are delicious, the wine (by the glass if you want) is good! We love this little place!!!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Penang Island, Malaysia
“Good food for the price and better than a lot of pricier options in Nanjing”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

We were pleasantly surprised by the attentive staff, the fresh food and the flavour. I think if I was to eat this meal in my home country I might just think it was average but after having had lots of overpriced less-than-average 'western' food in Nanjing this was great. Have taken our children there for the lunchtime specials which they think is a great treat. Reasonably priced wine too.

• Visited November 2013
Nanjing, China
“Marvellous french restaurant in Nanjing”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

This is a small nice restaurant. All the personnal is nice. The food is good with a large variety of dishes.
The price is moderate we paid 130€ per person for aperitive the day menu and including the drink
I will come in this restaurant and i will zlso send my friends there

Visited June 2013
Nanjing
“Good French Food for reasonable prices”
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We went here the first time and had mushroom soup, tomato soup, steak, panna cotta (they call it pudding) cause it is Italian, not French.
Both soups very very tasty, usually you expect that local Chinese cooks don't have the little bit of extra feeling for the "how" to make it taste like foreign cuisine, but here I was surprised. The steak was as ordered well one, though very tender, the mustard sauce was also very recommendable. The panna cotta was very Italian, nice texture, not too hard, but a little bit too sweet. We had the red sauvignon wine by the glass, which was also very good. They are not very well equipped with fresh juices, so better go with wine or beer.
Overall for a small and simple two persons menu we paid around 400 RMB, we were sitting outside in an almost romantic evening scene provided with a very fast and well English speaking service. I would recommend this restaurant and we will come back to try some of the French specialties on the menu.

Visited May 2013
Shanghai, China
“Gone downhill fast”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

The lack of foreigners in this restaurant says it all. The tablecloth was stained and the cloth napkins have been replaced with paper serviettes. The vase held dead flowers and at first I thought the Chinese staff had left the TV playing a game show - I was told it was the "music". Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

I had promised myself after the last culinary disaster there (the lasagne was cold and contained something akin to a rubber ball which I had to leave on the side of my plate) that I would not return but my friends had invited me so I thought I'd give it one more go.

This time I avoided the lasagne and chose the chicken in white wine sauce. It was cold and the chicken pieces still had the skin attached. I had to send it back to be reheated and by the time I got it back my friends had finished their meal.

Overall this restaurant is poor and I would not choose to go there again. It used to have a French chef and used to be good. Now it's run by Chinese and the food coming out of the kitchen is what the Chinese imagine French food might be like. I would be surprised whether anyone working at the restaurant had been outside Nanjing let alone France.

The only positive thing is that the (no doubt) Chinese chef served his "tomato and mozzarella" so large that it could have served as a main course. I cannot imagine that they can be making much profit when they serve a mountain of mozzarella like this.

We were the only westerners in the place and the tables (which had not been cleared) showed platefuls of abondoned "French" food.

Sadly the only French thing about this restaurant today is its name. This is a shame as there are very fews western places to eat in Nanjing.

• Visited March 2013