“Marvellous french restaurant in Nanjing”

Le Shang Restaurant
Ranked #22 of 2,741 Restaurants in Nanjing
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 1, 2013

This is a small nice restaurant. All the personnal is nice. The food is good with a large variety of dishes.
The price is moderate we paid 130€ per person for aperitive the day menu and including the drink
I will come in this restaurant and i will zlso send my friends there

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We went here the first time and had mushroom soup, tomato soup, steak, panna cotta (they call it pudding) cause it is Italian, not French.
Both soups very very tasty, usually you expect that local Chinese cooks don't have the little bit of extra feeling for the "how" to make it taste like foreign cuisine, but here I was surprised. The steak was as ordered well one, though very tender, the mustard sauce was also very recommendable. The panna cotta was very Italian, nice texture, not too hard, but a little bit too sweet. We had the red sauvignon wine by the glass, which was also very good. They are not very well equipped with fresh juices, so better go with wine or beer.
Overall for a small and simple two persons menu we paid around 400 RMB, we were sitting outside in an almost romantic evening scene provided with a very fast and well English speaking service. I would recommend this restaurant and we will come back to try some of the French specialties on the menu.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

The lack of foreigners in this restaurant says it all. The tablecloth was stained and the cloth napkins have been replaced with paper serviettes. The vase held dead flowers and at first I thought the Chinese staff had left the TV playing a game show - I was told it was the "music". Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

I had promised myself after the last culinary disaster there (the lasagne was cold and contained something akin to a rubber ball which I had to leave on the side of my plate) that I would not return but my friends had invited me so I thought I'd give it one more go.

This time I avoided the lasagne and chose the chicken in white wine sauce. It was cold and the chicken pieces still had the skin attached. I had to send it back to be reheated and by the time I got it back my friends had finished their meal.

Overall this restaurant is poor and I would not choose to go there again. It used to have a French chef and used to be good. Now it's run by Chinese and the food coming out of the kitchen is what the Chinese imagine French food might be like. I would be surprised whether anyone working at the restaurant had been outside Nanjing let alone France.

The only positive thing is that the (no doubt) Chinese chef served his "tomato and mozzarella" so large that it could have served as a main course. I cannot imagine that they can be making much profit when they serve a mountain of mozzarella like this.

We were the only westerners in the place and the tables (which had not been cleared) showed platefuls of abondoned "French" food.

Sadly the only French thing about this restaurant today is its name. This is a shame as there are very fews western places to eat in Nanjing.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Well, we heard about this little gem from a friend and to be honest we were skeptical. What I can say is that the food was magnificent to be honest. We had the 99RMB (15USD) set menu and chose a soup starter (potato/leek), main course as duck and for dessert a vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce. My wife had the salad, pork chops and ice cream as well. Both meals were excellent. There was a small selection of beers (but varied) and nice list of wines. My wife had the home made raspberry ice team and she loved it (had two actually). The restaurant is not particularly easy to find, but once located you will be happy you found did. The lamb chops looked pretty darn good as well. I will be back to this little gem.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I spent lots of time traveling to Nanjing on business. Met some westerners on evening and they suggested me this place. I was not disappointed. I bit pricey, but inline with other similar establishments. Good selection of wine!