See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed August 11, 2016

I went to this hotel for a conference. However, I cannot after three weeks and now back in Berlin, they somehow re-did my booking again and this appeared in my credit card. I checked with my bank if somehow they made an error in the statement and I just found that there was another booking done OFFLINE. That means, somehow, when I paid there, they copied my credit card and somehow did whatever tricks they had to so that it will appear that I paid again. This is theft and no amount of high quality service can overcome this act.

Room tip: Beware of using credit card in this hotel
Date of stay: July 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank christine joy q
Reviewed December 23, 2015

I ended up at Zhongshan Hotel on Zhongshan Road, excellent location close to Xinjiekou, 1912 District and Nanjing University. It is a pretty large hotel with famous dining and banquet rooms. It appear this hotel is very popular with government employees and business people and there are business centers and meeting rooms available. I understand the hotel was opened 1987 and it must have been very flash but now it is starting to feel very dated.

The airconditioning in the hotel was unable to provide any heating and any extra blankets did little help with the cold and windy days. Internet in the room was poor.

Breakfast was interesting, very Chinese, but I only had it one morning since it is much better value to get food elsewhere.

Date of stay: April 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2014

The Zhongshan Hotel, part of the Zhongshan Daxia, has been around for at least 25 years. Centrally located on the Zhongshan road/Zhujiang road crossroads, it's main entrance is difficult to find - go along Zhujiang road for a couple of hundred metres and turn right into a car park area, keep right and the entrance is on the right, facing to the south.

Location is good - ten minutes walk down Zhongshan road to Xinjiekou, or to Gulou in the other direction, and Zhujiang road metro station on your doorstep. There are many restaurants nearby and breakfast was not served when I was there. Not a cheap place to stay, but for central Nanjing I think quite a good price. I've never stayed anywhere else in Nanjing!

Date of stay: October 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed May 20, 2014

I have stayed in six Nanjing hotels in the past five months and this hotel had the best location, very central. It is a brilliant location. The buffet breakfast for about 48 RMB was above average and had just enough choice for non-Chinese. The Chinese food looked good. But the hotel has appalling air conditioning. The first of two nights in mid-May I had little sleep, it was too hot and stuffy. There is only a small window in each room to open. It appears the air conditioning only works for a couple of hours at lunchtime and dinnertime but I could be wrong. Hotel staff must be used to complaints because I was quickly given a fan which is no substitute for air conditioning. The business room with queen bed I had was small almost claustrophobic - the bathroom was small. My room had dirty windows and appears dated like the hotel. If I owned it I would demolish it and build a new better hotel because the site is gold. It is easy to get to practically anywhere. The performance of staff was mixed. Staff of this hotel had the least understanding of English of the six Nanjing hotels I have stayed at by far. Check in was fairly bureaucratic but checkout pleasant. One staff member went to the trouble of writing what buses I needed to catch to get to my long distance bus station. And staff at breakfast were very pleasant and helpful. Would I stay at this hotel again - no.

Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I would say the hotel's location is the best thing it can offer.

Other than that, could not find anything that would make me want to come back to this hotel. Absolutely no English spoken at the hotel, I would at least expect the front desk staff speak a little English. To my surprise though, a member of the housekeeping team who saw me struggling with my electronic key, offered (in decent English) her help, and quickly ran off with my key downstairs and returned with a new key! With marble everywhere in public areas, the rooms are a little run-down, dusty with stains on the carpet. I was first offered a room overlooking an adjacent roof (full of garbage!) of a restaurant, and my request to change the room (spent an hour explaining what I wanted) was met - similar filthy room, but with a more "open" view was provided on the same floor. My colleagues who stayed on a higher floor, indicated their rooms were relatively in better shape.
Also, to my surprise - smoking seems to be allowed everywhere, and I even saw people smoking in elevators! Food absolutely inedible (buffet), and I had a feeling that same food was being served again and again. Breakfast is certainly not a continental breakfast, and I could only eat bread and butter with tea....

Room tip: Can't verify this, but I was told rooms on higher floors were relatively better (newly renovated?)
Date of stay: October 2013