“Nanjing hotel”

Grand Hotel Nanjing
Ranked #18 of 1,904 Hotels in Nanjing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Korean first
Reviewed October 27, 2009

Using ctrip.com, I found this hotel for a wonderful price. It has a lot of restaurants, it's not far to the major sights by taxi and the people are fantastic. There's in-room internet, the TV has CCTV9, CNN and Discovery in English, tea and hot water kettle, the bathroom is nice. Overall, I'm really glad I chose this hotel to stay in when I was in Nanjing.

Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
New Jersey
Reviewed August 27, 2009

Got sick with food poisoning, but not at the hotel. Went to the doctor who works in the medical facility and the problems started. Uncaring attitude was evident from the beginning. Didn't want to do anything and claimed I might be sick with a stomach virus. I was sure it was bacteria. Went back a second time and she prescribed a floxacin antibiotic. I think it was Levofloxacin, but all floxacins are extremely dangerous as they damage connective tissue, at least in me. Check the litigation against them. I knew from experience with this wasn't going to work and requested a different antibiotic. Doc says this is the one. Meanwhile I'm sleeping 18 hours a day, I can't get up and haven't left the hotel in 2 days. Finally I go back and me and my partner insist on getting a better antibiotic and am given one and pay for readily. I'm better the next day, but 2 days in Nanjing were completely ruined. This was much worse than any unclean room or TV not working!
Later I get my dry cleaning back and 2 of my best custom dress shirts with really good fabric are all fuzzy. They can't be worn to the office anymore. It looks like they were put through a washing machine by mistake. First I’m told this is what happened. Then they change their story and say they were dry cleaned. Then they seem to debate in Chinese as to whether or not the shirts are damaged enough to refund the dry cleaning charges. This goes on for five minutes. I want them to pay for the shirts, but it’s apparent there's no way that’s going to happen. In the end the dry cleaning charges are refunded, but I’m out $100 in shirts. I'll be staying in the developed country branded hotels my next trip to China.

Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank babynow09
UK
Reviewed July 6, 2009

We stayed here for a conference at Nanjing Normal University, and were looking for somewhere cheap. This was perfect, especially with a deal through the conference, I think it was about 45 GBP per night for double room, and the breakfast was massive and included Chinese and Western food. We washed clothes in our room and hung them up over the bath and came back to find a nice little hanger had been put in our room with our clothes on. It is not a central location, but you can walk around to the university and there are some fantastic little restaurants there.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
travelph0t0
Reviewed April 19, 2009

I don't know that I would exactly describe this hotel as "5-star" as some of the interior elements feel a bit dated. However, I was very comfortable at the Grand and had some of the best service I've experienced in China. The breakfast was included with the room charge and offered many more choices (western and Asian) than I have experienced in more expensive hotels. If the price fits your needs I would not hesitate to book a night at the Grand.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
New York, NY
Reviewed November 4, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for two nights in October 2008 and like it a lot. Room was spacious, clean, furniture was nice, they provided complimentary bottles of water and nice bathrobe. Breakfast buffet was good, they have both eastern and western food. Dinner was also nice. English speaking reception organized to me a sightseeing tour in Nanjing that was cheap and excellent. I definetely recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Comfortable and spacious room
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
seattle, wa
Reviewed May 16, 2008

Our agent said he could get us a "five star" hotel in nanjing for $60 per night, so we figured we'd splurge. I don't usually stay in 5-star hotels, especially in China, so maybe I'm not the best judge of things, but I have to say I expected more. The hotel is pretty monolithic as your pull up, seems like something built in the 1980s I'd guess. Location is just fine, middle of town, and within walking distance of some high end shopping, and loads of chinese shops. It's not particularly close to any one tourist attraction, I guess the Presidential Palace would be the nearest, and that's definitely a bus or taxi ride. But in Nanjing there's so much to see it's probably good to be in a relatively central location. The lobby was very clean and polished, what I'd expect from a luxury hotel. Staff expected tips, so I suppose they must get a lot of foreign tourists, but everyone we dealt with was quite nice and friendly. The halls and the room were just a bit run down, but nothing to scare anyone away. It was a perfectly comfortable stay, clean, all the in-room amenities (fridge, flat screen TV, iron). But nothing particularly "wowed" me, and that's kind of what I was expecting from a "five star" hotel. Well I guess I can't complain for the price, after all. Next time in Nanjing I'll probably explore my options.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple