“Good location, bad food”

Lakeview Xuanwu Hotel
Ranked #30 of 1,904 Hotels in Nanjing
pune
“Good location, bad food”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The location is excellent near the cross section of two major streets and also near the lake. The rooms are not too large but comfortable. The swimming pool, gym and spa are great but the expensive buffet dinner was a disaster. We reached around eight thirty and realised that we were scraping the bottom of the dish. The buffet dinner cost 200 yuan approximately and was bad. At nine, the staff almost shut down the restaurant even with us still sitting there.

Room Tip: Please select a lake facing room if you book online.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed May 8, 2013

The hotel is located in a superb location with a great view of the lake and the sacred mountain.
The restaurant (breakfast and dinner) is round and offer a great view of the entire city.
The local Metro line is right next, an the train station is only two stations (5 minutes by Taxi) away.
The staff was very helpful, in particular they purchased a train ticket for me (for 20 Yuan =~ 2.5 $)
The room was great and compfi, In the morning I just stepped out and straight to the islands in the middle of the lake. great choice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Shimon C
StarryChen, Manager at Lakeview Xuanwu Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for choosing Lakeview Xuanwu Hotel Najing,our service is always beyond your expectation!
Singapore
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stayed at Lakeview hotel for two nights. The rooms are nice and spacious with good wifi connection. The breakfast buffet has an excellent spread and very tasty food. The view of the lake from the revolving restaurant is amazing. The only problem is that a lot of staff, including reception staff don't understand English. To ask for an Iron and table, I had to make 4 - 5 calls to different people until one of them came over to my room and I had to show them what I was asking for. Otherwise, at RMB 650 per night, its a good place to stay if you want to walk just 300 meters in the morning and reach the lake side.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank GautamJindal
StarryChen, Manager at Lakeview Xuanwu Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for choosing Lakeview Xuanwu Hotel Nanjing ,
We will improve our service ,proficient English skill is very important for our staff.
Waiting for your next stay ,
Best regards
london
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for two nights in April. The location is excellent, right next to the metro. The rooms are spacious and comfortable and the bathroom is really nice. The room had free wi fi. My only quibble, and it may have been my fault is that we didn't select the breakfast option and upon check in the receptionist asked if we want breakfast as all we'd have to do is sign for it. I assumed that we were being given an upgrade in the facilities. Upon check out I was given the bill which included £35.00 for breakfast for two. I explained that of course I'd pay it but they need to be clear explaining to guests. In addition the breakfast is really disappointing and although I know that spitting and hacking up phlegm is part of the culture it really was hard to have to listen to it while trying to enjoy your yoghurt and coffee.
The best thing about the hotel is the location and everywhere a tourist wants to go is within metro distance. I'll post separate reviews for restaurants and places to visit.
Do take time to listen to the two musicians in the evening who play and sing in the piano bar. They were excellent.

Stayed April 2013
2 Thank katrina1961
Thank you for choosing Lakeview Xuanwu Hotel Nanjing.
We will improve our service ,and hope you next stay!
Best regards
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

This is my third stay at the Lakeview Xuanwu and I will continue to choose this hotel. The rooms are nice, good TV, great, free WiFi. Breakfast buffet was free with my room and it had a wide enough variety to please most palates. View from the revolving restaurant is spectacular. Only negative is you have to be very assertive to get coffee or tea with breakfast.

The location is convenient, many restaurants and shopping within walking distance. The park across the street helps you forget you are in a large city with lots of people. I prefer this location to the chain hotel in the city because I
The area is a lot less hectic.

The hotel staff speaks enough English to meet my needs. They go out of the way to help and meet your needs. They always got me a taxi, even at rush hour on Friday afternoon!

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Glue_momster76
maryland
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My son and I stayed here while touring Nanjing. It is located at a subway stop and there is plenty to do within walking distance. It is a very attractive facility, though the rooms and bathrooms are beginning to show their age. It seems that many of the staff speak passable English. Compared to the big American chain hotels, this is a great value. I would definitely stay here again if I were to return. Not to be missed is the wonderful view from the revolving restaurant at the top, where the buffet breakfast is served.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Zwolle, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 18, 2013

The previous time I stayed at this hotel was over 7 years ago. At that time one of the few 5 star hotels in Nanjing. Now the landscape has chaged a lot with many internationally branded competitors.
I stayed 20 days this time and during this period I did not have any negative experience, Nice room with classic and practical decoration. I liked the TV set that could be turned to both bed and couch, the separate shower cabin and bath, a reasonably sized desk and enough space. The room was well maintained and clean. The complimentary WiFi worked well.
All personnel, from reception to restaurant, from housekeeping were very friendly throughout my stay.
Apart from the breakfast I had not so much experience with the restaurant. It had a rotating section on the floor which I tried to avoid as it desoriented me. Fortunately the seats next to the windows do not rotated and give you continuously a good view of Xuanwu lake. The breakfast was adequate but not exceptional nor wast the dinner buffet I enjoyed.
If I have to come up with one negative point it should be the background music in the restaurant. 20 days almost the same songs will start to annoy. Maybe I just stayed too long.

Really can recommend this hotel, especially if you can get hold of a good company rate!

Room Tip: The rooms with real lakeview are fairly limited and possibly more expensive. As it is a hotel with m...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business