“Maybe the worst restaurant in China”
Review of Behind the Wall

Behind the Wall
Ranked #692 of 2,727 Restaurants in Nanjing
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed May 23, 2014

I live in a Chinese city with zero Mexican options so I didn't have very high standards coming here. And yet it still disappointed.

I ordered the taco beef nachos (68 RMB) because the menu description was decent and claimed they come with guacamole and sour cream. They came with neither so I inquired and was told that they are out of guacamole but would bring some sour cream. Ok no problem. Except the sour cream is actually plain yogurt and barely resembles sour cream except the color.

I asked about it and they claimed it was a homemade sour cream recipe. (Right). They offered me to choose something else from the menu so I chose vegetable fajitas. They were awful and the refried beans were just straight sugar. I took one bite and asked for my money back but they insisted that there was nothing wrong. Overall they were SO rude.

Just avoid this place unless you want cheap 20 RMB sangria that has no alcohol. Don't eat here, it's not worth it.

2  Thank Cbreeze175

Reviewed February 16, 2014

That they have the audacity to label themselves a Mexican restaurant is the first surprise. Soggy lettuce and cheap meat in a taco shell does not make you a Mexican restaurant, nor does slapping some salsa atop cold chips and calling it 'nachos'.

I'll give Behind the Wall this, their happy hour rates are good and you get to drink yourself into blissful oblivion out in the sun come summer. Maybe the cheapness of the alcohol will compensate the blandness of the food.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

You set pretty low standards when trying Mexican food in Asia, but Behind the Wall fails to meet even those. The so-called Mexican food on the menu is bland, sour cream and guacamole are non existant, and you'll find more spice in a McDonalds burger.

The drinks menu is something of a redeeming feature, and happy hour sangria is the sole real draw for me. It's not a bad place to hang out on a Friday afternoon/evening in summer where it's outdoor seating is a nice draw.

Just don't eat there. Yuck.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Great beers on tap, mojitos, and sangria. I've had bad experiences with the food however --- orders get screwed up, chicken is pink and underdone, some of the Mexican dishes are just a little off.

Great atmosphere, especially when there's live flamenco music.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

The food seems to be a very bad imitation of Mexican food.
None of the dishes ordered by my 3 friends and I were considered good by any of us.
Service slow and inattentive.
Many better choices fron dining on Shanghailu

Been to Behind the Wall? Share your experiences!