“Great value, if you don't mind the details”

Hilton Nanjing Riverside
Ranked #12 of 1,890 Hotels in Nanjing
Chicago, Illinois
“Great value, if you don't mind the details”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

This hotel has all the quality services you would expect from a top-notch Hilton. The staff is very welcoming, friendly, and hard working. Any request is readily fulfilled. The food is quite good. The workout room is well equipped, the pool is large and nice (a little on the cool side, good for working out but not great if you just want to sit in the water). There is a small park nearby for a little walk along the river. The only negative I noticed was that there seem to be random details that are not completed. For example some decorative lights in the elevator areas are not lit or some edging installation in the room was not fully complete. Nothing major, but if you were paying top-end prices it would be disappointing.

The location is pro-con depending on what you are looking for. It does take a while to get to the city center - requiring a pre-call for taxi. But the area is quiet and scenic. If you are only in for a night, the hotel has plenty to keep busy. But eating outside the hotel will require a long trip.

Room Tip: If you want a river-view, specify. The other side is a nice apartment complex and pool.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Nanjingriverside, Director of Operations at Hilton Nanjing Riverside, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Greetings from the Hilton Nanjing Riverside!

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and will let our staffs to know that they helped you have a great stay with us. We have fully noted the problem of the facility you mentioned here and we will make necessary improvements accordingly.

Rick Chen, Director of Operations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Weston, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

My husband and I spent 3 days in the Hilton Riverside and we really love it. We traveled one month through China and to stayed in this hotel made us feel liked we were close from home. The staff spoke very good English (this is difficult to find in different hotels in China). They helped me to get directions to arrive to my next destination. The room was very beautiful. I liked all the features in it. We liked the breakfast. My husband and I were working out for a Marathon we ran by the neighborhood and we found beautiful sites. My only concern is that they surcharge for Internet service in your room but this issue is not make us to change our nice experience in the Hilton.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Nanjingriverside, Director of Operations at Hilton Nanjing Riverside, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at Hilton Nanjing Riverside! So glad you were able to experience our authentic Hilton hospitality. We look forward to seeing you soon. Rick Chen, Director of Operations.
Zwolle, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

The building is set up in a way that most rooms have a beautiful view on the river and islands. Only the standard rooms look the other way.
Really enjoyed the bed and the quietness at night. Bathroom is smartly designed although there are some rough edges in the finishing of materials, etc.
Good breakfast.
Indeed the big drawback is the distance from the city center and the lack of decent public transport (including taxis). Guess the hotel is used a lot for conferences and meetings where that is less important.

Room Tip: For a view you need to book at least a deluxe room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Greetings from the Hilton Nanjing Riverside!

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced further to your recent stay with us.

We are very disappointed to learn that our hotel's non-ideal location bring you so much inconvenience. As part of our ongoing desire to deliver quality service, we are taking steps to ensure that this will be better. In addition, we have shared your observations with our staff and provided additional training in satisfying guest expectations and delivering quality Hilton hospitality which was clearly lacking.

At the Hilton Nanjing Riverside we take pride in trying to ensure customer satisfaction. We very much regret that we did not deliver quality service and for this we once again extend our deepest apology.

If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to discuss them by contacting me through my email address which is rick.chen@hilton.com.

Dallas TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Pros:
Modern rooms with tons of space and storage, you will love it! Wall window with a nice view and balcony – riverside or (even better, probably as a view, but without balcony). Room itself is a pure joy.
Contras:
Location and service. If you travel to Nanjing as a tourist, probably you can find a better location for your stay. Nanjing is a big city, it will take you about 40 minutes by taxi or more without traffic go from this hotel to any tourist attraction. The worst is that this hotel does not have any taxi or cars which wait at the entrance – hotel staff call to the street taxi if you ask them, and I have been very unpleasantly surprised to hear that I will have to wait probably 30 minutes for taxi as now is a busy time. I have been on my way to train station. Nobody even let me know that I should order a taxi as far beforehand as they are difficult to catch at this time. I think this is absolutely unacceptable situation for the hotel which positions itself as a four or even five star property. And yes, the closest metro station is two hours by foot.

Room Tip: if you want a balcony choose riverside. The other side has a very nice view but no balconies and win...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Nanjingriverside, Director of Operations at Hilton Nanjing Riverside, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Greetings from the Hilton Nanjing Riverside!

We are very disappointed to learn that our hotel's non-ideal location and low level service bring you so much inconvenience. As part of our ongoing desire to deliver quality service, we are taking steps to ensure that this will not happen again. In addition, we have shared your observations with our staff and provided additional training in satisfying guest expectations and delivering quality Hilton hospitality which was clearly lacking.

Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

The Hilton Riverside is beautiful. However, it is located a long way from the action. We have a 2 year old so that suited us fine. We had a balcony overlooking the river and frankly I preferred this anyway to being in the middle of the city. It was beautiful. The room had a few problems that are just typical of Chinese construction - carpet was not put down properly with cut outs in the corners still sticking up. Also the breakfast we ordered through room service was quite odd and inconsistent. I ordered granola and I got some strange rolled biscuits that we inedible. I think their chef needs to learn about Western breakfasts. I know this hotel is targeting the enormous Chinese business market, however, it is a Hilton and its expected that you can at least call room service or the operator and make yourself understood in English. We have been English teachers in China and so we know that so many of our students who are looking for work could fill this role. Why not employ staff with the English skills to answer the phone? There are so many bright young and keen English majors in China up to the task. So I would definitely stay again. Loved the location, room was big, great view, super comfortable and sleek. Cons: need to train staff and stop charging for internet! Rare to have to pay in this day and age.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Nanjingriverside, Director of Operations at Hilton Nanjing Riverside, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Greetings from the Hilton Nanjing Riverside!

We are very disappointed to learn about our room and breakfast not satisfy your need. As part of our ongoing desire to deliver quality service, we are taking steps to ensure that these better. In addition, we have shared your observations with our staff and provided additional training in satisfying guest expectations and delivering quality Hilton hospitality which was clearly lacking.

Fairlight, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed at the Hilton Riverside with my two daughters. The hotel was very accommodating, providing the extra bed I'd requested. We had a riverside view, but unfortunately the pollution/fog rendered that relatively useless.

This is a modern, well appointed Hotel. Rooms are comfortable and beds are Western - it's just in the middle of nowhere. The nights we stayed, taxis aren't waiting for you and there's nothing really within walking distance. Maybe there's a business district nearby, but next time I'm in Nanjing, I'll lower the quality and up the proximity.

• Stayed May 2012
Nanjingriverside, Director of Operations at Hilton Nanjing Riverside, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Greetings from the Hilton Nanjing Riverside! Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. And we are very disappointed to hear you waiting much time to take the taxi at night. As part of our ongoing desire to deliver quality service, we are taking steps to ensure that this will not happen again. All of us at Hilton are passionate about hospitality and we hope to see you again soon. Rick Chen, Director of Operations.
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

Wonderful hotel

I had a brilliant short stay in this hotel during my summer holiday visit to China. The rooms were lovely and I had the most wonderful view over the Yangtze river, particularly stunning at sunset. The restaurants were good and the breakfast buffet had a great choice. The staff were excellent, friendly and helpful in giving advice and directions to the local tourist attractions. I would strongly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for river view, lovely at sunset.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Nanjingriverside, Director of Operations at Hilton Nanjing Riverside, responded to this review, September 13, 2012