“Luxurious room but lousy lobby”
Review of The Westin Nanjing

The Westin Nanjing
Ranked #9 of 1,921 Hotels in Nanjing
Singapore, Singapore
“Luxurious room but lousy lobby”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

The Westin Nanjing has good location, including the view of the lake. The room was also very luxurious and comfortable. The bath is also very big and good. The staff is very courteous and helpful. The attention to detail for the client is very well taken care of by the staff. The food is also very good and delectable.

However, I did not like the lobby of the hotel at all. It gave me a very 4 star feeling when I entered the hotel. I think the hotel should do something about the presentation of their lobby.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor, especially facing the lake.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Richard D, General Manager at The Westin Nanjing, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you for having chosen the Westin Nanjing, we were thrilled being able to hopefully offer you an energizing and uplifting stay with us and the entire team was honored to be at your service. I’m so glad that you are impressed by our room and staff, will continue to work on providing more and better service. Actually feedbacks show that the most majority of guests are very satisfied with our hotel lobby on 23rd floor as they very enjoy and relax in a quiet and uplifting environment. At the same time, we are always attaching great importance to the whole lobby environment and also recognize that some guests do prefer a lobby on level 1 instead of level 23. Thanks again for your comments, we are looking forward to welcoming you soon back at The Westin Nanjing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I want to echo what a previous reviewer said about the reservations system, and the check-in process. I was booked for two nights which I will pay, and one night using my SPG points, total 3 nights. When I did the booking on the phone with SPG about a month back, I was assured repeatedly that the reservations despite being two separate reservations can allow me to stay in one, same room without the need to change room in all the 3 nights.

At check in, I was told they could not find the reservation(s) and only upon checking my SPG account could they find it. But the reservation shows a booking using my SPG points for 3 nights, which is obviously wrong. The receptionist promised to sort this out for me and checked me in. But he insisted that I show him the print out of my reservation, which is inside my huge luggage. I had no choice but to take it out from my luggage upon reaching my room and then taking it to him.

Now, this is where the bizarre becomes absurd. The receptionist said that the reservation systems shows that I did not have any reservation which I'd pay, and because I do not have enough SPG points, I can afford to claim only one night, and not three nights. I told him that I can pay for two nights and for one night, I'd use my SPG points. He could do little, so I suggested that he check with SPG.com and then we settle this after SPG.com staff advises them what to do. He agreed.

Two nights later, I proceeded to ask how the "settlement" with SPG.com had gone. This time it's a different receptionist, a lady. She did not understand what I was saying, and even when I told her the name of the colleague who was checking me in two days back, she still drew a blank. Granted, she did call that particular colleague by phone, whom I presume is on a day's off or at another part of the hotel. But I think she was rebuffed by that colleague, and that call helped little.

When she finally understood what I was saying, after about 15 minutes of explanation, she checked the reservation system and said that I must check out that day, because I was booked for two days, which I'd pay for myself. There was no reservation using SPG points. I was rushing that day to another part of Nanjing, and was exasperated. But I kept my cool, and agreed to go retrieve that same print out at my room to show to her.

After sprinting up to my room to take the print out and then showing it to her, the receptionist said she still could not find anything close to that. She did agree to check with SPG, and meanwhile asked me to check out first as the hotel is fully booked for that day. I disagreed and asked her to call me on my mobile, and rushed off for my meeting.

That afternoon, another staff called me and told me that SPG.com staff have cancelled my reservation using my SPG points, and that in order to have another night's stay, I'd need to log in again to the website to book it using my points. That was not possible, as I was at some plant site with no internet access, and what's more I was not anywhere near a computer and does not own a smartphone which would allow access to the SPG.com site. I told them I need that room, period and will sort it out upon my return. That was when the lady told me that she can help me access my SPG account, if I give her my password and then she can help me "book" using my points.

Now, didn't the staff earlier say the hotel is fully booked for the day? And I can now make a last-minute booking and still get a room? Obviously that staff was lying when she said that, or I simply did not understand proper Mandarin. Far from the latter, I am sure I speak and understand Mandarin perfectly so I was upset. I do not find it funny at all that a simple matter can drag into such a fiasco, and what's more I was assured by SPG.com's call centre's staff that everything will go seamlessly.

I do not know who really is at fault here. But this experience taught me that SPG.com Gold status means little to their members, and their reservation system needs a serious overhaul. The staff seemed apologetic many times, but really they should be better trained than what happened, so I think in order to pride itself as the carrier of such a pretigious Western hospitality brand, this hotel better endeavours to train its staff to deal with such extenuating occurences.

This is the first time I am at this Nanjing outfit, and it'd not impressed at all. Yes the hardware is nice and amenities are all new and look posh, but that is only to be expected as it is after all supposed to be five-star. Their charges aren't low either, so I feel I need not rave too much about what this hotel's hardware can offer. Instead, in order not to get rude shocks and angst over simple things like a reservation, I suggest other equally-good, if not better (and cheaper) accommodation options in Nanjing, which are aplenty in this historical and beautiful city, to be honest.

Room Tip: Separately, I want to tell you another bizarre episode with Service Express on the phone - I asked f...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Sal the Fat Fish
Richard D, General Manager at The Westin Nanjing, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Westin Nanjing, We were thrilled having you stay with us and the entire team was honored to be at your service. Firstly I would like to apologize for the unpleasant experience you had during your stay. At the same time, we are very grateful that you took time to offer such a detailed account of the problems you encountered for our improvements. We attach great importance to those issues you have mentioned and realized that there have indeed some problems on SPG Booking we should improve interdepartmental communication. Moreover, I can't agree with your any more, our staff should be trained rather than let it fester, I assure we shall to enhance the training for our staff as well as train them on dealing with such situations efficiently and timely, be more sensitive to our guests’ expectations. Once again, we thank you for your valuable comments and ; we are looking forward to welcoming you soon back at The Westin Nanjing!
england
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We spent 3 days in Nanjing at the Westin. First time in a Westin hotel and last. The checking-in was so slow and the lady did not know what to do as she could not find our reservation. So a second lady arrived she was just as lost as the first. Finally I decided to ask for the manager and she arrived and as they still could not find the reservation, my daughter went to download the print out so they could see that it was done and paid for. Half an hour it took them to give us the key to our room and not even a cold glass of water. Not sure what happened there, but the next morning somebody else said their reservation system was down. The room was big and had everything you needed to have a comfortable and relaxed stay, nevertheless the marble floor between the bedroom and bathroom had massive dirt stains. The cleaner did not do a very good job on that. The bathroom had a great shower cubicle and the water pressure was just perfect. Had all the toilettries that are needed. The view was beautiful, the lake and the wall is lovely in the early hours of the morning. Breakfast was very good. We were sitting by the window and the window sill was incredibly dirty all along. We sat at the same table the next morning and we found it just the same. I wonder where is the person in charge of checking this sort of issues. Obviously he/she is not doing their job properly. Apart from that we were served two cold cups of tea. It was a shame as the buffet was well laid out and very nice. The checking-out was just as slow and finally we got an apology from the gentleman that was checking us out. He must have read all the problems we had. This was the first time in our 3 weeks of touring and changing hotels that we had so many issues. We will not stay in a Westin again. It is a hit and miss situation that a hotel belonging to a big chain of hotels like this one, should not have.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank anastasiaEngland
Richard D, General Manager at The Westin Nanjing, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you for having chosen the Westin Nanjing. We were thrilled having you stay with us and the entire team was honored to be at your service. Firstly I would like to apologize for the unpleasant experience you had during your stay, we attach great importance to the problems you have mentioned. I assure we shall to enhance the training for our front desk staff as well as train them on dealing with such situations efficiently, will improve their professionalism and be more sensitive to our guests’ expectations. Moreover, we really appreciate your precise observations which will help us to tackle the problem immediately. We kindly ask you to see though the issues as exceptional ones as the vast majority of our guests regularly express their highest satisfaction with our facilities and service. Once again, we thank you for your valuable comments and we are looking forward to welcoming you soon back at The Westin Nanjing!
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Large room, quiet & easy to get a good nights sleep. Breakfast so so, couls do with starting earlier but the room service was excellent. A little pricy compared to other hotels, but maybe worth it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Richard D, General Manager at The Westin Nanjing, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you for having chosen the Westin Nanjing, we were thrilled being able to hopefully offer you an energizing and uplifting stay with us and the entire team was honored to be at your service. I’m so glad that you like our hotel and will provide more and better service to present we are excellent value for money. Thanks again for your comments, we are looking forward to welcoming you soon back at The Westin Nanjing
New York
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I recently spent two nights at the Westin Nanjing. It was not bad, pretty much standard Westin stuff. The view, despite what some reviewers have said, is really not that special. I only had a very small side view of the lake. One big issue is taxi. The hotel's front entrance does not face the street. In stead, it faces a side road with a guard station serving as a road block. So taxis don't come in all that often. The hotel does have doormen who would stand along the main street to call in taxis in case of need, but still, it's not the most convenient hotel to call a cab. That being said, it is close to the subway station and is like couple stops from the city's main train station.

, General Manager at The Westin Nanjing, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Thank you for having chosen the Westin Nanjing. We were thrilled having you stay with us and the entire team was honored to be at your service. We also thank you for your loyalty towards Westin Hotels and Resorts, clearly witnessed by knowing precisely what to expect from a Westin hotel. We are sorry to hear that you may have been assigned a room with slightly less view on the lake; please do not hesitate for future reservations to request a room with a better view or we even suggest to reserve an Executive suite with a 180 degree view of the Xuan Wu Lake.. We feel very sorry about your experience with the taxi and we are actually aware that calling a taxi in Nanjing is not that easy because of the limited amount of cars available. In order to avoid unnecessary waiting time in the Lobby, we recommend to let our Concierge know about 5-10 minutes in advance that you wish you get a taxi and our bellboy can get it for you then.. Once again, we thank you for your valuable comments and we are looking forward to welcoming you soon back at The Westin Nanjing!
Shanghai
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Organized a business dinner for a group of Customers at their Fiamma restaurant on 23rd floor, assuming as, in other Westin properties I have visited before, it would be a classy, upscale experience that would give us face with our Customers.

The restaurant itself is just a partitioned area next to their buffet. I guess they can better optimize their personnel this way, but the setup was definitely less than adequate: poor high ceiling lighting, impersonal decoration and overall ambience... Things I would not complain about (in fact, I'd rather expect) from a local establishment at local prices, but things that definitely are off track if you hang a Westin sign outside your door.......

Food took ages to come. We started dinner at 8.30 and we could only leave around 11.00. I guess, again, cutting corners on personnel (dinner was booked at least one week in advance, so I cannot be forgiving on this one....). Many references in the wine list were missing, and only the utterly expensive or bottom priced ones were available....

Food itself was uninspiring, to say the least. I inquired about the chef and it's a local one. There are many reasonably qualified local chefs in China, but this is not one of them. I cannot understand how, if you want to establish Westin as a reference in Nanjing, you can go with subpar cooking and full prices. Management, please wake up!

I had some pasta. Flavorless. Some meat afterwards. Dull and texture less. Chocolate mousse afterwards: a dull lower supermarket quality chocolate mousse cake. I can name at least a couple of local bakeries in Nanjing that do a much better job at chocolate cakes. F&B review seems in order too........

Service was well trained and smiley, above average for China.

All in all, they should either improve seriously or drop their prices 50%, otherwise their value proposition does not hold. I don't see any other way out of it, especially with other nearby properties (Intercontinental comes to mind) offering pretty much everything I was missing here......

2 Thank AntonioShanghai
, General Manager at The Westin Nanjing, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Westin Nanjing, We were thrilled having you with us and the entire team was honored to be at your service. I thank you for taking your precious time recognizing some of our wonderful talents and at the same time, would like to apologize for the unpleasant experiences you encountered during your last dinner. We do agree that some points should not have occurred; other points may not have been really presented in the full context. Since you are a very experienced traveler and talented observer, please allow our Director of Food and Beverage directly to contact you so he may eventually be able to reply personally. At the same time, we are happy to inform you that the vast majority of our guests regularly express their highest satisfaction with “La Fiamma” as well as have expressed their highest praises for The Westin Nanjing itself. Once again, we thank you for your valuable comments; we are looking forward to welcoming you soon back at The Westin Nanjing!
Reviewed May 6, 2012

As this was my second stay, I've come to expect the level of good service and amenities provided. Do note I do understand and speak basic chinese (mandarin/putonghua) so the experience may or may not be different for others.

There was a short queue during checking in and some room bedding configuration issue on my reservation. It was however resolved quickly and efficiently.

Stayed in room 2819 (standard deluxe room) with partial views of the lake (I believe all rooms have partial views of the lake, could be wrong though). This was just a bit smaller than the room I've gotten on my previous stay, but that didn't bother me at all.

As I was here for a short 2 night stay, I didn't get to try out the Abel Touch Spa or the gym/swimming facilities. Did manage to try out the bar for some light drinking and relaxing. I was glad to see a few familiar faces throughout and it really makes the stay more comforting.

The pricing is on the high side for single travelers so you might want to look into any promotions before deciding to stay here. However if you're curious, do try it out.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Richard D, General Manager at The Westin Nanjing, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Westin Nanjing again. We were thrilled being able to hopefully offer you an energizing and uplifting stay with us and the entire team was honored to be at your service. Our initial design for the hotel is to ensure that every guest room could have the wonderful lakeview, but also because of that, each of our guestrooms is slightly different in size. Thank you very much for your comments, we are looking forward welcoming you soon back at The Westin Nanjing!