“Eye-opener”

The Memorial of the Nanjing Massacre
Ranked #1 of 409 things to do in Nanjing
Reviewed April 26, 2013

It was quite the eye-opener for me to visit this place. Just to read the stories of the people who experienced this tragic period was heartbreaking, but also showed the courage of these people. I was not quite sure what I would be seeing at this place, as I have only heard of the Nanjing massacre, but didn't really know the full details of this event. But after visiting the Memorial, I can say that I know a little bit more about Chinese history and the heartbreak that the Chinese people lived through during this time.
As for the place itself, I think they did a great job of telling the stories of the Chinese people and also highlighted some heroes from this period. Make sure you check this place out if you are here in Nanjing.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

We were here on a cold December morning which added to the atmosphere. I was in Nanjing on business on the 75th anniversary when all the sirens whet off to commemorate the Japanese invasion and the destruction of the city that followed.

When you visit, it is ok to bring kids. But make sure you that they are mature enough to handle some of the subject matter that includes the senseless killing of civilians. I decided that my daughter was still a bit young for the exhibits that discussed the rape of women and girls. But be prepared to be peppered with questions many of which don't have clear answers.

3  Thank DHWShanghai
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Visiting Nanjing with my daughter and brother was a truly moving experience. The museum is telling it how it happened. There isn't much propaganda here unlike many other history museums in China (reference my review from the Dandong museum). Really, it couldn't be much worse than what happened here.

The most moving part was when I was kneeling in front of the exhibit that showed the names of the victims. I was kneeling only to remove some crackers from my bag to share with my daughter because she was getting hungry. A young Chinese man walked over and asked me where I was from. I told him I was from Germany. He asked if I knew about John Rabe (a German business person and leader of the Nanjing chapter of the Nazi Party who saved thousands of Chinese by standing up to the Japanese). I told him I did. He then took my hand and thanked me for being a friend to the Chinese people. I was so dumb struck that I mumbled thank you back a few times. The whole experience, the museum, and the recognition of John Rabe's personal sacrifice were a life experience for me.

3  Thank DHWShanghai
Reviewed April 21, 2013

If you are interested in World War Two, this memorial / museum is a must see in China. Give yourself at least two hours to enjoy this place. It took about 20 minutes to get in as well. There are lots of displays to read, documentaries to watch, and artifacts to look at. Everything is in English and Chinese.

2  Thank ChinaShrek
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

I don't remember learning much about the Nanjing massacre in school in the U.S. This is easily one of the most horrific examples of human evil in man's history. But, highly recommend that you spend 3-4 hours to learn about the piece of history. It's free to get in.

The exhibit itself is similar in decor and ambience to holocaust museums I've been to. The Chinese clearly added minor details everywhere so there is no doubt about whether this ever happened or not...because some fringe groups in Japan still deny its existence and some mainstream folks refuse to apologize. (Not very different from fringe groups in Middle East denying the holocaust...every bit as ridiculous). These are all about "face", which is a bit silly for most westerners.

The museum is thoughtfully done, and very tailored towards global visitors with writing in English and Japanese in addition to Chinese. It takes you through the invasion, resistance, the brutal events, the brave locals and foreigners (including some Nazis!) setting up refugee areas, and the recapturing of nanjing. Then, it covers the resignation of Japan in WWII, the trials, and the convictions/executions of the war criminals. It also spends time to cover some anti-defamation lawsuits of people who testified about the massacre vs. some Japanese newspapers/officials...as late as 2004. These wounds are still fresh for many Chinese in nanjing and nearby.

Again, it's very very sad. Plan something upbeat when you leave.

1  Thank rybickij