“Too big”

InterContinental Nanjing
Ranked #5 of 1,969 Hotels in Nanjing
Reviewed January 2, 2014

This hotel obviously is impressive as it is one of the tallest buildings in the world. However, as a four star hotel in China, the overall quality and service is not outstanding.
As the hotel is so tall, it is very annoying that if your room is above the 60th floor or so, and you have to go to the lobby, you have to switch lifts at the 60th floor!.
Breakfast is average for this kind of hotels, but the breakfast buffet is scattered around a very large room. If you have to get up early for a business meeting and you are completely jetlagged, the last thing you want to do is to walk for a hundred meters to pick up cereals and a scrambled egg.
Coffee is literally undrinkable. (Luckily there is a Starbucks around the corner on the street.)
On the other side, rooms are fine.

Room Tip: If you get a room below the 6oth floor or so, you do not have to switch lifts every time.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank busterMilan_Italy
Zhu H, Marketing Communication at InterContinental Nanjing, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for sharing the experience of your stay at InterContinental Nanjing. Feedback like your is veru valuable to us and enables us to monitor our standards, which on this occasion regretfully has failed to meet your expectation. We look forward to welcoming you bak to our hotel again. Thank you!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I stayed on the 68th floor of this very nice hotel. The view is fantastic. I left on Chinese new years day, so those days I had as well a fabulous view from my bathroom, from where I looked out over Nanjing. This became my fixed hotel when i'm in Nanjing.

Room Tip: Of course it depend of the budget you have, but stay as high as possible in this hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear guest,
Thank you for your stay with us at InterContinental Nanjing. We are pleased to know that you appreciated thelocation of our hotel, an aspect of our hotel that is preferred by many of our guests. Your encouraging review will help us constantly improve our quality even further as we hope to exceed over and beyond our guest expectations. Thank you!
Thank you once again, we look very much forward to welcoming you back in the future. Thank you!

Reviewed January 1, 2014

This is the best place to stay in Nanjing
The worlds seventh tallest buidling, The view from the rooms is majestic, Super comfortable rooms and great service.
Great food especially for somebody looking for vegetarian food in Nanjing.
Great ambience and great service.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at InterContinental Nanjing. We are very glad to know that our staff and service helped in making your visit enjoyable. Meanwhile, we take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Thank you again for your feedback and support ad we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Thank you!

Reviewed December 25, 2013

I have been to many different IHG hotels in China, and stay 250 days each year in hotel. Since Intercontinental is the most luxury among IHG group, people expect the most from it.

First when I enter the hotel, no one have acknowledgment to me, including concierge.
I went to front desk and receptionist does not call my name during check in, does not explain my benefits of being a Intercon ambassador, does not show me clearly where is the elevator to my floor. I expect concierge will come help to carry my luggage right after I checked in and it didn't happen. I carry my luggage all the way by myself. No GRO bring me tea even it is right next to the front desk.
Thanks DM bring me club lounge benefits. I am really appreciated.

I went to club lounge during happy hour, they were very good and brought me what I like proactively, even though they didn't call my name again.
In the morning, I went to have breakfast and would like to have some food bring back to my room. They refused to help and gave me annoying face. They claimed since my package does not include breakfast, I shouldn't come to lounge and have breakfast. So, I would like to ask what is the benefits of having access to club lounge if I cannot have food and drink there? Just have a sit? Finally, I think it was the manager or leader to ask them to help me pack to go so I can have my food packed. Thanks so much to her. This hotel need this kind of employee to keep the hotel running.

I requested iphone5 charge before I check in and I asked again after I checked in. The first time I ask them I don't really feel their passion of trying to help me. What I heard was just keep saying they lend it to someone, not yet returned. They claimed to me they only have 1 iphone 5 charge in the hotel and it has been lend to someone. When I check with them again they claimed the charge still outside and properly the guest lose it already. Very bad response.
As a 5 stars top brand hotel, they should do everything to try to satisfy their guest for this little thing, not just keep saying it is not available or thing not exist. I understand it is an extra thing to the hotel, but the attitude of how they handle this, is not acceptable.
I suggest they can go buy the charger and have the guest sign a paper of there will be penalty applied if things not return. They won't lose anything and earn a good reputation.

Concierge does not help and they just stand in their corner all time. Only if I go and ask for help, then they will help.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Zhu H, Marketing Communication at InterContinental Nanjing, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at InterContinental Nanjing. We would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience our service may have caused you. Your comments about the problem has been documented and will certainly be looked into. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.
We look forward to hearing from you and to welcoming you back to InterContinental Nanjing in the near future. Thank you!

Reviewed December 22, 2013

I stayed in this amazing Hotel for one night back in 2010, and i have not seen its equal since then. This was my first trip to China, and i was amazed by this beautiful Hotel and its surroundings. The service was like Nothing i have experienced before, and the breakfast was extremely good. Everything you could ever want. I traveled with a group of friends, and we all agreed that this was a more then a hotel, it was a fantastic experience. Happily i am going back to nanjing for my honeymoon in april, and we are naturally staying at the Intercontinental Nanjing.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Zhu H, Marketing Communication at InterContinental Nanjing, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding you recent stay with us at InterContinental Nanjing.
We are very glad to know that our staff and service helped in making your visit enjoyable. Meanwhile, we taking our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comforable and friendly accommodations.
Thank you again for your feedback and support and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Thank you!

Reviewed December 20, 2013

What a sight, what a view! This hotel, in one of the tallest buildings in China, is excellent. rooms are spacious. modern and immaculate. Amenities in the room (beds and bathrooms) are modern and state-of-the-art. We had a room on one of the upper floors, and the view was heavenly -the city, the lake the surrounding mountains. The dining area near the top of the building had equally magnificant views. an outdoor patio area was not usable because it was cool when we were there. The buffet food was sumptuous and offered cuisine from every major region on earth. Italian, or Chinese or Japanese, or European or American food preferences are amply prepared and delicious. A conference held in the hotel had state-of-the-art equipment and lighting. The magnificant glass decorations looked like Dale Chihuley's glass but no one in hotel staff was able to identify its origins.

But hold your breathe. Our views were obstructed some mornings by unacceptable air pollution. A visit to nanjing is a must. The Sun-Yat Sen memorial is very moving, and its location dramatically beautiful. The museum outlining the history of the Japanese invasion of Nanjing is devastating, memorable, and not to be missed. Nanjing is a beautiful city, with tree-lined streets and lovely boulevards. It reminds me of Boston (an academic and medical center) that has expended space and energy into esthetic landscaping.

Room Tip: get a room high up (if you are not acrophobic) and have splendid views
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank lilacroller

Dear guest,
Thank you for your stay with us at InterContinental Nanjing.
We are pleased to konw that you appreciated the location of our hotel, an aspect of our hotel that is preferred by many of our guests.Your encouraging review will help us constantly improve our quality even further as we hope to exceed over and beyond our guest expectations. Thank you!

Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Spent 4 nights. Most impressed with:
1) hotel location: 3 min to subway Gulou station exit 4A, very central location;
2) view of the city: spectacular view from most rooms and its restaurants, a major advantage being the tallest building in the city (89 stories) and the 10th tallest in the world. Hotel restaurants and rooms begin from 45th floor;
3) spacious room: even standard rooms boast a large bathroom with separate bathtub, shower cubicle and a toilet cubicle. Other features: floor to ceiling windows, very comfortable beds, fast and reliable in-room wifi.

Limitations:
1) Breakfast spread looks impressive but one will soon find out most choices served, Chinese or international, somehow taste bland or stale, disappointing from the Intercontinental brand.
2) Staff at the door were not very eager to help. We were 2 people each with a luggage but were not greeted by anyone (and instead by a long check-in line-up) when we arrived by taxi all the way to the reception.

• Stayed: November 2013
Zhu H, Marketing Communication at InterContinental Nanjing, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. Your comments have been noted and we have spoken to related department to ensure this will not happen again.
We hope to have the pleasureof welcoming you back to our hotel again in the near future. Thank you.