“Surprisingly poor”

InterContinental Nanjing
Ranked #4 of 1,952 Hotels in Nanjing
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is the first review I've done on Tripadvisor ever. I have been inspired to do so by this hotel.

I spent three nights here. The rooms were nice as was the breakfast. However, the hotel fails in its basic function of providing a tolerable nights sleep for two important reasons:

1. Air-conditioning failure. My room was stuck at 24 degrees celsius despite me setting it at 20 degrees. For me, that was too hot to sleep. I told one member of staff who fobbed me off with "Oh, it's just slow to correct" - well, it must have been very slow as it took 3 days and it was still stuck at 24. I told another member of staff who said they would send someone up - the solution being to open the window. On checkout, a staff member said that I was in the hot side of the hotel and next time I visit I could be put in the cooler side. There was no proper acknowledgement of the problem.

2. Bedding apparently not cleaned for 3 days. I suspected this on the second day. On the 3rd day I received a note saying "As requested, your linen has not been changed". I had NEVER made such a request and would assume linen to be changed at a five-star hotel daily.

What the hotel management need to realize is that this is a five-star international hotel chain. Customers pay perhaps 1,300 Renminbi just for a standard room. Put that in the context of China (and Nanjing) where a lot of people earn perhaps 2-3 times that amount for a month's work. So the standard should be fairly high.

I think the above reveal genuine failures of this hotel. Like many 'international' brands in China, the international standard is neither reached nor aspired to.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Zhu H, Marketing Communication at InterContinental Nanjing, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments regarding our A/C problem. As our hotel with high standards of products and services, I am truly embarrassed to learn about the experience you encountered during your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay in this brand new, fantastic hotel. Every single member of staff were smiling, extremely helpful and always said hello as you went past. I lost my phone in a taxi and the club lounge staff were excellent in somehow locating the taxi i was in and my phone! The views are outstanding from high up. Pay the extra money and stay in a club room, well worth it. Subway right next to hotel and only 15 mins away from train station. Certainly stay again and would recommend it. One last point - the pool as lovely and warm, unlike any other pool in China.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Zhu H, Marketing Communication at InterContinental Nanjing, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Dear distinguished guest
Thank you for taking time to share your kind feedback regarding your last visit in InterContinental Nanjing. We were delighted to know that our staff and service helped make you satisfied. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations to each of our guest. We all look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

InterContinental Nanjing is a mint new, shining, and very impressive building in a center of historical city. Nanjing used to be a capital of China till 1420 and now is a blossoming and developing place. I've stayed there only for one night, but will definitely stay on my next visit. Cause service is more than nice – both foreign and local staff are welcoming and courteous. Standard room is very good – perfect cleanliness and top view. “Sky Bar” place at the top of the building was a surprise. It was empty for the whole 2 hours after opening – even though buffet area below was quite crowded. I have ordered food and drinks from the restaurant menu and waiters delivered everything right to the table. Quality of food was average, but not bad at all. Wine menu is not of varieties. But it is indeed a great place if you want to have a great service and quality of stay in Nanjing.

Room Tip: Just ask for a higher floor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the hotel. The building is really pretty and so are the rooms. We had a great view over the city. The staff in the hotel is really nice. The club room is good aswell and offers some nice benefits.

The breakfast is large, but not the best I ever had. I also had the feeling that there was not sufficient staff as I had to bring my own plates to the service point as they did not collect them.

The pool on the 8th floor is nice and warm. When the weather is good they have an extra nice outdoor area with an additional pool. What I did not like is that I had to wear a bathing cap. In a hotel of this standard I may expect that they let me swim without and they just clean the pool more often.

All together a really nice stay and I will most likely be back again!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Zhu H, Marketing Communication at InterContinental Nanjing, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear distinguished guest
Thank you for taking time to share your kind feedback regarding your last visit in InterContinental Nanjing. We were delighted to know that our staff and service helped make you satisfied. InterContinental Nanjing is located in the tallest building in Nanjing, as the first top luxury international hotel in the region, it fully deserves recognition as a new landmark of the capital city for six ancient dynasties. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations to each of our guest. We all look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

High floors give a good view of the city. Relaxing bath tub and comfortable beds. Good location too. Various restaurants and landmarks are within the vicinity, easily reachable by foot. This city is underrated. It is cleaner and nicer than other cities of china.

• Stayed: March 2013
Zhu H, Marketing Communication at InterContinental Nanjing, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Reviewed March 21, 2013

This is my second time stayed at Intercontinental at Nanjing, and its still the same awesome as usual. All the staff never failed to greet you and help anytime you ask.We stay at 60th floor on Deluxe room with amazing view.
Weather is cool at 7 degree, in the room its warm enough and comfortable, but during our stay on the fourth night the aircon is too hot and no matter we try to set the temperature/fan speed the aircon still the same hot. Hope this will be fixed soon :)
Overall we are very satisfied to stay there and will be back again next time.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed one night here but it was great one. Room and bed are very comfortable and pleasant. However, the day I stayed was surround by smog. Therefore, I could not see any view from my 68th fl room. Staff is very helpful and kind. Definitely I will come back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Zhu H, Marketing Communication at InterContinental Nanjing, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013