“A hotel of many firsts”

Ranked #5 of 1,969 Hotels in Nanjing
Reviewed December 30, 2011

I've been to Nanjing many times and stayed at the Sofitel and Westin mostly, trying the Intercon for the first time. Shocked the nice Sofitel and Westin are ranked quite low, but it seems Intercon has a decent ranking. As in the title, this is a hotel of many firsts, and I'll mention them along the way here. I booked a hotel car via email, and like many very good 5 star hotels, the email reply was prompt (within 2 hours). I was picked up at the train station, and this was where 1 of the many firsts started - they started doing my room check-in in the car! They swiped my credit card and gave me my room key in the car, wow. Then we reached the hotel, which occupied probably the tallest tower in the city. Some taxis don't know the Intercon, just tell them Xifeng tower which they mostly know. Then the 2nd first came along when we are at the lift lobby - we have to key in the floor number which we want to go digitally outside the lift, and the computer tells you which lift to enter, and in the lift, there are no buttons, wow. The room is the modern 5 star - large, standing shower, modern tub, flat screen tv, ipod player, transparent glass bathroom etc. After being escorted to the room, 2 more firsts happened - the guest relations officer wanted to take a picture of me for record, and gave me a reminder card to write a tripadvisor review on them - double wow. I chuckled as she gave me the card and i do write quite a few reviews on tripadvisor, without a reminder. We also had lunch at their chinese restaurant, and their sweet and sour mandarin fish was good, as was their service. Their instant service centre service (reached via room phone), bellboy service were very good as well. I didn't go to the pool, gym and bar, and maybe that helped them. I don't often give 5 stars in tripadvisor, but here's 1

Room Tip: Ask for the lake or mountain view, but it could be more expensive
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed December 25, 2011

I am usually very happy to stay in top-brand hotels in China. Before visiting this property I had been experiencing lovely treatment in different properties. However, it seems that in Nanjing InterContinental they have not understood what InterContinental standards are, even the basic ones. And Royal Ambassador (RA) treatment means lying right into the face of the customer.

The outside look of the hotel is nice skyscraper, to get to the hotel level one has to use two sets of elevators. Design is modern, inside and out.

What was wrong then? Service. At the check in I was informed that I was upgraded to a suite. Standard for RA-s. Once in the room, it turned out to be a standard room, not even on a club level! Later when doing online banking transactions I saw that they had booked a sum on the credit card I had secured the booking, plus on the other card I gave when checking in (it was flexible booking and I checked in before the evening cancellation deadline).

The club lounge offerings were quite weak compared to other clubs I have been in China. All the windows were dirty, both of the room and of the club. Bad surprise was at the pool (see pictures attached).

"Welcome gift" was provided when already checked out and about to leave the building the next day.

Unless the management changes along with the staff, I think I have to find a new place to stay when returning to Nanjing.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank Tango-Xpress
Reviewed December 15, 2011

It is a good hotel and service is up to standard. Other than the problem described below I would certainly stay there again and would recommend it to others. I booked online directly with hotel and they confirmed a room rate of CNY 1240++ for each night for 4 nights 27 Nov to 1 Dec,2011. At chechout , I was presented a bill showing CNY 1610 for 1st night, 1702 for 2nd night and 1610 for each 3rd and 4th night. After a lot computer-clicking and telephoning I was shown another bill showing CNY 1610 for each of the 4 nights. I again pointed out the mistake. Again a lot of telephoning and consulting and disappearing into the office behind, a third bill was made for the correct amount of CNY1240++ each night. By that time a good 40 minutes have passed and I was in a huury to go to the airport. I write this not to blame any employee of the hotel. I Think it is just a poor accouting or computer system. I just want to let others know that if they have a tight time schedle , they should allow plenty of time for checkout or they may miss their plane or appointment. I have cmpleted the feedback survey they asked for via Synovate . Hope management will rectify the system for the benefit of all concerned.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the lake
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kwong Sang W
Reviewed December 8, 2011

I travel to Nanjing often for work. There are really three solid options in the city, the Jinling, the Sofitel and the newest addition to the scene, the Intercontinental.

I have elected to stay at the Intercontinental for my last two visits mainly for the location and view. The hotel is located between the 45th and 82nd floors, which essentially afford every room an insane view of the city in all directions. Some rooms are better than others for the view (given whether you face towards the lake, the mountains or just the city), but regardless one feels atop everything while staying there.

In terms of service, I am always a bit overwhelmed by how large this hotel is. The layout is a bit strange. Reception and the concierge are on the very first floor, while the main transfer level to the rooms is on the 45th floor. This makes for an odd feeling of separation, and it means two elevator trips down whenever you want to leave. During that journey you are constantly bombarded with helpful employees who, though friendly, add to the feeling that you're being herded a bit. But simply, it's the opposite of relaxing.

The rooms themselves are very well appointed, particularly in terms of electronics. Combination CD/DVD/IPod systems are in every room, making enjoying any entertainment easy. Several nights of mine were spent with room service and a movie, and given that Pay-Per-View seems not to exist in mainland China, the DVD player is terrific. The bathroom is extremely well appointed, and the King size bed is generously proportioned. Linens and pillows are all top-notch.

The restaurants are solid but not remarkable, and this is another instance when you recognize that you're staying in one of a thousand hotels in a chain. You really feel that monotony of being a business traveler, where all amenities are the same and charm is in short supply. The breakfast buffet, while expansive, was nothing particularly remarkable (the Sofitel does it better), and that includes the local Chinese specialties one would expect would be better. The Summit restaurant, located on the 78th floor, was also a disappointment (the Plum Garden at the Jinling does it better as well). While the prices (from a New Yorkers perspective) were not unreasonable, I felt disappointed by what one would hope would be a fantastic meal. Not horrible, but certainly not as delicious as one might want it to be.

Perhaps the most disappointing aspect of the hotel is the pool, which I had hoped would be terrific given the images on the website. I was unable to use the outdoor pool as it was closed during my last visit. For the indoor pool I was told I would have to wear a shower cap (uhhh, excuse me?) which essentially meant I wasn't go in the pool. It was quite small and lacked any sort of ambience. The pool at the Sofitel is much larger and more comfortable, a definite step up. The most disorienting aspect is that the pool is located on the 8th floor, meaning that if you want to visit it you have to take the two elevator flights down. Forget wearing your robe from your room, since those elevators can feel like Grand Central station.

All in all the Intercontinental is really best because of real estate. However, if one favors intimacy over a view I would stay at the Sofitel or the Jinling.

Room Tip: The higher the better, and rooms in the 20s (--23, 24) tend to face towards the lake.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank Matthew K
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Great hotel in the tallest building in Nanjing. Can especially recommend the Prime restaurant.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Joost R
yukipu, Manager at InterContinental Nanjing, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2011

Dear InterContinental Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay experience. We believe that it is through our valued guest feedback that we are able to continue to improve on our services and facilities. Your comments have been shared with all concern departments. Any inconvenience caused to you is regretted. Rest assured we will continue to work towards improvements in areas to deliver the best of service and hospitality that one comes to expect from InterContinental Nanjing. We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future. If we can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us the hotel email address ic.nanjing@ihg.com

Reviewed November 13, 2011

My recent stay at the Intercontinental was decent but not spectacular. The hotel had some rough around the edges qualities that didn't really detract from my stay but make me hesitant to recommend the hotel. The room itself was very comfortable and clean. The price was not too exorbitant. Our room rate included breakfast which was an above average hotel breakfast buffet. We traveled for tourism and found the hotel well located. We walked to a few different restaurants in the area and it was also convenient to the Nanjing metro which made seeing the city a breeze. Unfortunately, the hotel had a few less than positive aspects. One night we headed to the 78th floor bar but it was overwhelmed with cigar smoke. No problem, there is another bar area on the 45th floor. It was amateur hour down there. We ordered two drinks, a manhattan and a mai tai. These drinks are not rocket science but it took two bartenders, the print out of the recipe, and my wife speaking some Chinese to get the mai tai right. If the staff can't be trained to make simple cocktails they shouldn't be on the menu at more than $10US per drink. Lastly, if I stay at the Intercontinental it's not because I am trying to save money but the prices to use the internet were just laughable. $10US for a half an hour and aprox $30US for 2hrs of service. Looking on the bright side, I guess it was nice to check email for a weekend. If I have occasion to head back to Nanjing, I think I'll try the Westin.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank badwaiter
yukipu, Manager at InterContinental Nanjing, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2011

Dear InterContinental Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay experience. We believe that it is through our valued guest feedback that we are able to continue to improve on our services and facilities. Your comments have been shared with all concern and necessary steps have been put into place to ensure such scenarios are not repeated. Any inconvenience caused to you is regretted. Rest assured we will continue to work towards improvements in areas mentioned as well as delivering the best of service and hospitality that one comes to expect from InterContinental Nanjing. We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future. If we can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us the hotel email address ic.nanjing@ihg.com

Reviewed November 12, 2011

The hotel is situated in the center of Nanjing. It is the tallest building in the city, thereby giving you an amazing view from your room. The hotel is modern, luxurious, and clean, and the staff was very helpful, had a good English vocabulary, and was highly welcoming. Free WIFI and breakfast, which was one of the best hotel breakfasts I ever had. The food was fresh and they had a large variety of different food (Chinese, American, European). The room was very spacious, and the bathroom was fantastic with separate toilet, shower and bathtub.

No doubt that I will stay here the next time I´m in Nanjing!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear InterContinental Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay experience. We believe that it is through our valued guest feedback that we are able to continue to improve on our services and facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.