“Not quite there yet”

Ranked #5 of 1,969 Hotels in Nanjing
Reviewed May 1, 2011

I had lovely two days in Nanjing staying at the Intercontinental. The view from my room was spectacular and I loved sitting on the chaiselonge especially at night and just looking out of the window. I left the curtains open so I was woken by the sun rising from behind the mountains and glittering on the water of the Lake Xuanwu.
I really liked the iPod dock in the room and the slippers. There are big differences in hotel slippers!
I was prepared for poor concierge service after reading some of the comments here. That wasn't true. They were very helpful and also quite handsome :) I had no trouble with late check-out. In fact I was quite pleased to find on my bill that they didn't charge for it. Maybe the other travellers didn't have their key card coded with the new check-out time?

However, I'm not totally convinced by the hotel service on other issues:
Check-in: Nobody offerd me help to get my luggage up to my room and it was very hard work dragging the heavy suitcase through the thick carpet.

Housekeeping: I was a little surprised that there was no evening turn down. Well, so be it. But I really didn't like that the maid just threw my pyjama, inside out as I left it, back on top of the bed after she made it. She could have at least tucked it under the blanket. And having the tray with a shoe horn sit on my bed feels wrong.
Food/beverage: they waiters were new and you could tell. It was hard to get their attention and they were very slow. They got every single order wrong on first try and it was never anything complicated: Earl Grey tea, Cabernet Sauvignon and even their own house wine. I don't feel strongly about it, it happens. But it definitely is not the standard you would and can expect from a hotel in this category and I wonder why there was no senior staff present to help the newbies. The poor things got quite nervous every time I had to send them back.
Communication design: if you have forgotten which floor the bar is on by the time you got from your room to the elevator, it's back to your room because there is no sign there that would tell you.
Last thing: the Spa ladies work until 2am but no advertising of their services is in the room, I had to be quite insistent to get the information ;)

So, all in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Nanjing. But IMHO they still need to work on their service to go from "aspiring" to "first class".

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank PocahontasP
yukipu, Manager at InterContinental Nanjing, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2011

Dear InterContinental Guest, Thank you for taking the time to provide detailed feedback on your stay and service experiences including that of the Concierge. The feedback received on hotel services has been shared with all concern and we will address the shortcomings to avoid any repeats. Any inconvenience caused to you is regretted. Rest assured we will work towards delivering the best of service, facilities and hospitality that one comes to expect from the InterContinental brand. Thank you again for the candid feedback, support and we look forward to pleasure of welcoming you back to the InterContinental Nanjing in the near future.
Sincerely, InterContinental Nanjing

Reviewed May 1, 2011

Check-in was swift, everything was prepared before hand. Appreciated the towels and Nanjing places of interest introduction.

Stayed in a high level and the view was good.

Rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable.

The curtain switch was impressive, first time seeing it.

Had dinner at Prime, food was good and prices were reasonable.

Special praise for Dora at Prime for her attentive service.

Breakfast at horizon cafe was the only letdown.

Came in at 10am, not much crowd but was led to a table which was uncleared.

Food spread was not too good as they didn't restock the dishes we came in late.

What was frustrating was that when we were about to leave, they prepared everything again for Brunch.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
yukipu, Manager at InterContinental Nanjing, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2011

Dear InterContinental Guest, Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback regarding your recent stay at InterContinental Nanjing. We are glad to know that our facilities and staff especially Ms. Dora helped make your stay enjoyable. We strive to achieve excellence at every level and your feedback has be shared with all concern as it inspires us all to continue to work in the same spirit towards excellence. We are also taking the necessary steps at Horizon Café to ensure such scenarios are not repeated. Any inconvenience caused to you is regretted. Rest assured we will continue to work towards improvements in areas mentioned as well as delivering the best of service and hospitality that one comes to expect from InterContinental Nanjing. We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed April 17, 2011

It's a new hotel with modern amenities, but there are still service issues especially with the concierge that need to be fixed. Although the Concierge sign says they are at your service it does the opposite. On two occasions we tried to utilize the concierge and both times they failed badly. The first was to ask for help recommending a restaurant which they did but told us to make the reservation ourselves. Then the next day we asked if they could make a reservation for us at their own restaurant, but they said we had to go up to the 47th floor to do it ourselves. To top it off we asked the front desk for a late check-out while we were having lunch at their Chinese restaurant which they kindly said would not be a problem, yet when we tried to enter our room the key didn't work. When we ask the front desk why she said because the key stop registering at 12:00.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Winner D
yukipu, Manager at InterContinental Nanjing, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2011

Dear InterContinental Guest, Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay experience. We believe that it is through our valued guest feedback that we are able to continue to improve on our services and facilities. Your stay, concierge and room key card experiences have been shared with all concern and necessary steps have been put into place to ensure such scenarios are not repeated. Any inconvenience caused to you is regretted. Rest assured we will continue to work towards improvements in areas mentioned as well as delivering the best of service and hospitality that one comes to expect from InterContinental Nanjing. We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future. If we can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us the hotel email address ic.nanjing@ihg.com

Reviewed April 14, 2011

Great business hotel.
Rooms on the top floors are extremely high up - we had a room in the 65th floor and the view was amazing. Nice rooms, a bit loud though, but nice.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
yukipu, Manager at InterContinental Nanjing, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2011

Dear InterContinental Guest, Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. We are indeed pleased to learn your enjoyable stay experience and the fact that it was further complemented by the amazing Nanjing skyline view from the room. We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Nanjing in the near future.

Reviewed March 27, 2011

I just loved the service I got here. I felt like a film star. In fact the wonderfully friendly girls on the Club Lounge reception took photos of me with them.
I adore this place. So friendly! So kind and so very very focussed on treating me like an honored guest. I think it's called 5 star treatment. Martin: Gold Ambassador M.Gwyn@Murdoch.edu.au

• Stayed: September 2010
yukipu, Manager at InterContinental Nanjing, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2011

Dear Mr. Martin
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay experience. We are indeed pleased to learn of your enjoyable overall stay experience and that you were made to feel very special. Your gracious comments has be shared with all concern especially the Club Lounge team and it has inspired us all to continue to work in the same spirit towards excellence. Rest assured we will work towards delivering the best of service, facilities and hospitality that one comes to expect from the InterContinental brand. We look forward to welcoming you back to your favorite InterContinental hotel at Nanjing.

Reviewed March 17, 2011

I am here on a business trip for an extended period of time,my wife came to join me this past week for our 38th wedding aniversary. We had an experience that can only be explained as "Once in a Life Time" event. I commend Mr. Edwin Kats (Intercontinentals Director of Food&Beverage) and his Staff (especially Alice) on giving me and my wife a very memorable evening that we will remember for a life time! I will recommend to all people I meet in the future to experience the InterContinental Nanjing.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business

Dear InterContinental Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay experience. We are indeed pleased to learn of your enjoyable experience made possible by our staff. Your gracious comments has be shared with all concern especially Mr. Edwin Kats as well as Ms. Alice and it has inspired us all to continue to work in the same spirit towards excellence. Rest assured we will work towards delivering the best of service, facilities and hospitality that one comes to expect from the InterContinental brand. We look forward to welcoming you and your wife back to InterContinental Nanjing.

Reviewed March 17, 2011

It was new anew hotel, eveything was nice and clean. As I am a clean-freak, so fussy about the cleaness, and i was really happy too saty there.

Staffs were nice and helpful. We have also got discount on foot massage . After a long day with tired body, nothing is better than a nice massage.

The location is very convenience, which is right next to the subway station, easy to travel anywhere by the subway.

We can also see whole lake view - the famous XunWu Lake from our room. Nice view! abd also save us time (so that we do not need to visit that place) for other famous places.

With the room, the view and the service, I think it is a good value for the stay

The only thing made me a bit dissappointed was, they do not have free wifi, it charges

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
yukipu, Manager at InterContinental Nanjing, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2011

Dear nali1,
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay experience. We are indeed pleased to learn of your enjoyable overall stay experience. Your gracious comments has be shared with all concern and it has inspired us all to continue to work in the same spirit towards excellence. We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Nanjing in the near future.