“Not bad, not good, bit quirky”

and 1 more site!
Orange Hotel Nanjing Xuanwumen
Ranked #31 of 1,989 Hotels in Nanjing
Reviewed December 5, 2011

Stayed here after reading some reviews. Just had a few nights in Nanjing in May 2011. There were some unusual hotel quirks, such as a glass wall in the toilet, rubix cube and fishbowl in our room. Unfortunately the fish died, which was awful! Don't remember having an exceptionally good or bad nights sleep, and the location was fine. Would probably stay again, provided they stop killing off the goldfish!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 9, 2011

Stayed four nights in this hotel while visiting my girlfriend's family in Nanjing.
The cost for the king room was less than $50. And for this price, you get an amazing deal.
The place was initially hard to find. It is not on the main street as it address says. Once you find the building with this adress, the hotel is acually on a small street just behind it. Not much english is spoken at the reception. The room was really nice and clean. The bathroom has a nice big shower. It is a modern building. The beds are Chinese style, meaning hard beds but still comfortable. The location is good for tourism and close to the subway. They have a breakfast option at 10RMB which I did not try as I went to Starbucks close by.
Definitely the place to stay unless you absolutely need a five-star facility.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2011

i read a quite a good review from guide book,
but it was locatedquite far from down town area, and also away from subway station,
And it was hard to find.
I paid almost 300 yuan for twin room.
Room was clean and interior was quite good ,

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 5, 2011

The hotel is hidden on a side street off of Center Road, and even with the address the taxi driver had much trouble finding it from the station.

The walls however are paper thin and the beds were very hard. I couldn't sleep well since it was always too noisy in the hallway.

Front desk are young and inexperienced. Their English is very limited. Breakfast is not good.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank fuhazh
Reviewed September 12, 2010

Had trouble finding the hotel arriving in Nanjing from Xian taxi drivers who wouldnt take us to hotel but nice young man helped us at railway station got us on right subway train to hotel couldnt find it from metro until two men tracked it down for us and walked us to it we would have struggled to find it by ourselves. Arrived very hot and sticky doorman fetched us water whilst we were checking in staff only a little English our Chinese even less checked in quickly had to change rooms ten minutes after we arrived rain water coming in Staff helpful at getting us train tickets to Shanghai ,very happy young people on reception nothing seemed to much trouble.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gaye N
Reviewed May 6, 2010

You are getting a really great deal for this really nice hotel.

The staff is REALLY nice and helpful, but they are not able to understand conversational English really well. When I spoke to them over the phone it took forever for them to understand, 'I want to cancel the morning call'. In person, it took about 15 minutes to answer the question, 'Can I purchase my train ticket one day ahead?'.

TIP: I found the best thing to do is write what I needed to say down. They are able to understand it better and faster.

FOR GOD SAKE, PLEASE DO NOT EAT THE APPLE. I have been avoiding eating things at street vendors in China because of the lacking standards of hygiene, but when I checked in they had apples provided, and I was starving and it was too late to go find a restaurant, so I sucked it up and ate the apple provided in the room.

...REGRETTABLE! The next morning I had diarrhea. I went out to do my sightseeing, and again had to go to the washroom about three times, until I eventually felt very naseous and had to cancel all my plans that day. I layed in bed with chills, feeling sick for the rest of the day.

The only other drawback is that even though I put the 'do not disturb' sign on the door, hotel staff, either cleaners or people who provide the free apples, still knocked at the door and tried to enter twice when they thought I was not there because I didn't answer. (I figured they'd leave me to my sleep and obey the sign). Either way, I addressed this with management and they resolved these two issues (the sickness and staff knocking and trying to enter).

Also be aware, don't try to purchase any food or snacks there. They wanted Y15(yuan) for a half sized bottle of water, whereas you can walk 1 minute to the closest restaurant and get it for Y2. Those expensive rates kinda made me mad because I've been to hotels that charge just Y3 or Y1.5

Aside from this, the receptionists were great, the free breakfast had a lot of variety and the room was really nice and swanky. I actually liked it so much I stayed another day. Its a nice hotel and seems to attract much of the younger crowd inspite of its clean, upper class vibe.

Places to visit in Nanjing: Chaotian Gong Market, Zheng He Treasure Ship Park and Zheng He Tomb and Museum.

• Stayed: May 2010
2  Thank ThanksForReplying
Reviewed February 3, 2010

This hotel was so much more than I could have imagined for only about $30 (usd) a night! First, my friends and I had arrived from Beijing on an overnight train (another recommended experience). We arrived at the hotel at about 8:00am to see if they would hold our luggage until we could check in. They let us check in right then! As we were a bit sleepy and unshowered, we were delighted. The room was huge, and very modernly-designed. It was comfortable and clean. The top two or three floors, and we were given a room on the top floor. The view was interesting, of apartments and some fun high-rises. All the standard hotel aspects were great. The shower was particularly fun. And since Nanjing doesn't have quite as much English as, say, Beijing, and none of my friends nor I had much of any Mandarin down, sadly, they staff was great at writing notes for us to give to taxi drivers. And on the day we checked out, they held our bags for us until the night. I couldn't have asked for anything more. And, again, for such an amazing deal!

The one thing I would agree with other reviews is the location. On a map, I thought it looked like it would be fun to be near the lake, etc. After having been to Nanjing, I would also pick the other location of this same hotel (but definitely the same hotel). We really didn't do much around the hotel, though it was an easy enough location from which to do other things. Also, we had a little difficulty looking finding the hotel the first time around. From an address we had, we thought it was on the main street. It is, however, on one street parallel, just a bit back. At a pedestrian walk way, if you look down the continuing street, you can see a large logo on a four-story building that looks like a character with an orange for a head - that's the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends