“Great Location”

Grand Trustel Mandarin Garden
Ranked #18 of 1,969 Hotels in Nanjing
Reviewed November 22, 2013

If you are looking for a hotel that is located in an area that can be explored by foot, this is the hotel to stay in nanjing. It is centrally located in Old Nanjing only walking distance from the Confuscious Temple area and the Zhonghua Gate of the Nanjing City Wall. Many restaurants nearby eaither in the old town area on in the Aqua City Mall food court 5 minutes walk from the hotel. The hotel itself is hit and miss. On my first stay here in April 2013 i stayed in a recently remodled room (Room 719) that was aboslutely great. warm furnishings and modern touches. My second stay on october 2013 i stayed in a room on the 8th floor. The room was not as nice as my previous room but was still acceptable. The hotel offers many services. i did not use any. The breakfast was excellent. many choices. Free wifi that always worked. Very lush bathrobes included. Pillow options. English language map of Nanjing in desk drawer of room.

Room Tip: 7th and 8th floors have been recently remodeled. However, ask to check room first before accepting.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

I have spent here three nights in October. As you can see from previous reviews opinions are diverging. The reason is that there are huge differences in the room quality. Refurbished and higher quality rooms are excellent and provide good service. Some other rooms are in a poor condition. At arrival I have changed my room and with this I have had an excellent stay. The location is perfect, food is excellent, service is good, but check in advance your room or choose a high room category and than you will have good experiences.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed November 11, 2013

The public areas of this hotel are great, big foyer, nice pond with fish and a piano (!!).

The bedroom was a little tired with old furniture but the big plus was we had a room at the front which was perfect for people watching.

The area outside the hotel was good for shopping, street food and the Confucious Temple, river etc.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights.
Very big hotel in a central position but rooms with old furniture.

Breakfast it's primary Chinese, not continental.

Staff don't speak English except fore someone but it's very friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Carlo G
Reviewed July 13, 2013

When I checked in, I was upgraded to a suite. But the AC in the suite didn't work. So I was given a fan. I had dificulty sleeping. Next day I was moved into a single room. Furniture were very old, needed renovation.
The location of hotel is excellent. Just next to the river. Many shops and eating places are around the hotel. Took a boat ride in the evening. It was very nice.

Room Tip: Please ensure that AC is working properly
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We actually stayed here two years ago as a part of our adoption trip (I'm writing this review now, because someone tried to book this hotel for us again). The hotel was booked for us, and we were assured that it was an excellent hotel. Firstly it's quite an old hotel, used a lot by the adoption agencies, the lobby looks beautiful, but the rooms are hit or miss. We were told that the hotel was mid-upgrade, and there were some rooms that had been recently renovated and some that had not.

We got put in one of the rooms that had not been renovated. We were told it was a suite, but was essentially a single, what I would class as, medium room with a dining table and a desk and bed, all of the furniture was old. Like other reviewers, when we asked if we could use the air-conditioning, we were told that it was turned off at this time of year (October) and we should open a window or we could have a fan.

The room next to us was occupied an unknown guy, who had his friends/collegaues over almost every night until 3 or 4 am, along with lady friends (use your imagination to fill in the blanks) and smoked constantly and the non-working AC made a great conduit for funneling smoke into our room, causing our daughter to cough constantly and be unable to sleep. We complained several times, but nothing was done.

I've been an international business traveller for over 15 years, and I've stayed in some interesting places, but this was, by far the worst hotel experience of my life, bar none!

Room Tip: I've been told they have some very good rooms, try to see your room first before committing to i...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank BluesGeek
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed in this hotel as part of a Travelsphere tour for 2 nights and thoroughly enjoyed it. The location was slap bang in the centre of Nanjing, around 300 yards from the Confucious Temple opposite which you can get an ice-cold beer for £1.50. The massive reception area boasts a fish pond and a piano, the restaurant served up good and varied breakfasts.

All in all, a good hotel, certainly 4 star.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple