“Fantastic hotel but dated furnishings”

Grand Trustel Mandarin Garden
Ranked #17 of 1,952 Hotels in Nanjing
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Stayed in the hotel for 4 nights when visiting Nanjing. Great location and the hotel is clean but dated. Room is big but the dated furniture, AC system and furnishings makes it slightly depressive. Lighting is minimal in the room which also keeps it dim.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank elizchua

Reviewed August 29, 2012

It's in an excellent location - maybe the best located hotel I've stayed in anywhere in the world. As soon as you walk out of the hotel, you're in the middle of the life of a very lively city. Leaving the hotel to the right, there are tons of shops, Western fastfood, Chinese food, and historic/scenic areas. To the left is a large upscale mall with a nice variety of good quality Chinese restaurants, McDonald's, and a well equipped supermarket (BHG). I loved that everything was in walking distance and this made me want to stay longer in Nanjing.

Sound insulation within the hotel wasn't so good (it was insulated well against outside noise), the carpets were a bit dirty, and air conditioning was weak (all of which seem common in Chinese hotels), but otherwise the hotel was fine. The free internet worked well. The breakfast buffet was good quality and met the needs of my family (including my kids).

If you haven't traveled much in China and you want instant access to mix of modern and historic China, it's a great place to start.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights in deluxe rooms.

The hotel is very convenient - pedestrian mall/restaurants/Confucious temple are right next door.

Although we asked for non-smoking rooms, I believe we were given smoking rooms which had been given non-smoking 'treatment'. However, when I booked our rooms (directly with the hotel), they had said that if we wanted 2 double beds in the rooms and rooms on a higher floor, there were no non-smoking rooms with this configuration. As it was, the room only smelled very faintly of smoke and there were no ashtrays, so I do believe they tried their best to fulfil our request.

The rooms were spacious, clean and luxurious. The bathrooms had a bathtub and separate shower with rainfall shower head and a second handheld shower head. They also have a pillow menu, although we did not need to change the pillows that came with the room. Our room looked out onto the pedestrian mall, interesting and fun if you like people watching! Note: my aunts had stayed there previously but they now think they had stayed in a basic room because the bedrooms we stayed in were much larger, and the bathroom and the furnishings were luxurious.

We had buffet breakfast in the hotel for convenience. Breakfast was varied (mainly eastern, some western - mainly pastries) and quality was quite ok. Service was a bit lax in that you had to chase waiters up if you wanted coffee, although once you asked someone, it arrived very quickly.

We had dinner one night in the Chinese restaurant in the hotel. We were one of 3 parties in the restaurant, so it looked very empty. However, service was prompt and the quality of the dishes that we ordered was very good with good-sized serves. I would recommend the restaurant. We had smoked duck, shiaolong bau, a tofu dish and local style fried rice.

We bought some local handicrafts from the hotel shop - (brocade pictures). We did see similar products for cheaper outside the hotel, but the hotel's products were of finer craftmanship and came with a certificate of authenticity.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel and would stay again if travelling to Nanjing.

Room Tip: We stayed in a deluxe room in Wing B - spacious, clean but if you want 2 beds on a higher floor, be...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Breakfast buffet was ample, but food quality was mediocre. Don't think they have any such thing as non-smoking rooms; mine certainly smelled like a smoker's room, and ash trays by the elevators. Bathroom relatively well equipped but shower drain made this horrible sucking sound while in use. Mattress was thinly-disguised plywood; I've never seen anything stiffer with a top sheet on it. Best thing about it was that the room had its own dedicated WiFi router, so no problems with signal. It's in a highly touristic part of town, so if you're into that kind of thing... Can't really speak to service other than efficient check-in and check-out. Bad part was that for such a mediocre large hotel, I paid as much as I would have for a boutique hotel in Beijing.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I stayed there one night. It's in a great location in the middle of the city many markets shops and malls in the area. The staff surprised me with a birthday cake and birthday card for my birthday.
The rooms haven't had an uplift in a very long time (20 years maybe) the same with the common areas. The bed was ok. The Internet spotty.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Mashgiach
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We have been staying at this hotel for the past 6 years. Very Good hotel at the tourist district of nanjing. Close to Fuji Miao (Confucious temple) street markets etc. The breakfast is one of the best I ever had in a hotel. Rooms are Big and clean.

Room Tip: CHeck the room before confirming
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 13, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for a total of two nights as part of our Travelsphere Discover China tour in January 2012.

This was the penultimate hotel on our trip, and was one of my favourite stays in the whole two weeks we were in China.

Upon arrival, the first thing you notice is the rather grand entrance lobby with it's spiralling staircase and mini fish-pond, upon which floats a piano (!) - real bit of class there.

The breakfast buffet was my favourite on the whole of the trip, reminded me of a Vegas breakfast with a whole range of possible choices - omlettes were cooked to perfection, sushi tasted brilliant, a good attempt at sausage and bacon - pastries and donuts were lovely. A real good brekfast.

Bathroom spacious and was my second favourite of the trip, nice separate shower and bath - very clean.

Beds were again slightly hard but bearable.

Location: PERFECT for a first time visitor to Nanjing - located just behind the market area where many a bargain could be found (as one of the gents on our tour found out, being the King of "Clap"), next to Pizza Hut, McDonalds, KFC and a Haagen-Daaz - by the end of the trip, a few of us were craving some fast food, so this made for a perfect location.

Small shop located just out from the hotel and left, sold beers and crisps etc very cheaply.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family