“Waste of $”

Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Wan Chai / Causeway Bay
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I was highly embarrassed last night when I took my family here for Peking Duck. They are visiting from out-of-town and asked only that I take them one night for duck. Not sure why I choose this place other than I thought perhaps the servers would be able to cater to westerner's (two family members are vegetarian). I was wrong again. The waiter's speak only limited English and we were not able to communicate effectively at all. We were given one menu to share among 7 people at our table. There is nothing authentic about this place - it was hugely expensive and the food was awful.

Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

Went for the pecking duck but it was far below our expectations. Staff quite unfriendly but they did their job.
Would never go back because there are much better places around HK.

2  Thank Danidive
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I used to go to the American Restaurant with my family when I was a child, and had fond memories of delicious Beijing-style food there. I was delighted to hear that the restaurant was still there 25 years later when I visited recently, and had to visit again. I was amazed - the food was just as wonderful as I remember it, and I even remembered some of the waiters.
The highlights are the chilli crispy beef, onion cakes, chicken and cashew nuts and the crab with broccoli, not to mention the stuffed cabbage and beef with bamboo shoots. The portions are very generous so you only need to get the small serving, and the bill was very reasonable, and alot less than we paid elsewhere in Hong Kong. It's very popular and busy every night so always a good idea to book ahead, but when we turned up without a reservation they managed to accomodate us. All in all one of my favorite restaurants in Hong Kong and I can't wait to go back again on my next visit.

2  Thank TravelinTravis
Reviewed November 14, 2012

There were five of us, two Hong Kong natives with spouses and one friend, all accustomed to Hong Kong dining. We decided to try this place out for their two "famous" dishes: the beggar's chicken and their Peking duck. We order both 2
days ahead. The chicken was presented with great fanfare as a big dome of black pond clay and we were asked to break the hard-baked dome with a mallet. We did and the chicken was reveal as a lotus leaf wrapped pile of meat and mushrooms. Looked good but tasted pedestrian and most unremarkable. The Peking duck was not done to the required crispy skin and tender meat configuration. Instead, the skin was soggy and the color was all together too light. The cost was as expected -- high enough to cover 5 good meals in Hong Kong in countless other restaurants...

2  Thank vct123
Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is a restaurant for tourists and isn't worth a visit. The food is vastly overpriced and you are even charged 5 pounds sterling for the tiny bowl of cucumber and peanuts which are placed on your table when you are seated. At no point are you made aware of this surcharge until you receive the bill! While the peking duck and pancakes is ok I have tasted much better in the UK at a cheaper price.The service is surly, the decor plain and eating under bright lights is not exactly relaxing or conducive to a nice atmosphere.
Peking duck isnt a speciality of Hong Kong so not that many restaurants offer the dish - perhaps this is why people choose to come here.
I won't be returning.