“Horrible - read this”

and 1 more site!
Mingle Place On The Wing
Ranked #390 of 726 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed December 28, 2009

I only stayed at this Hotel because it was Christmas and it was in my budget. Like some other cities, Hong Kong hotels put up their tariffs by 150% over this period, as this hotel, Mingle on the Wing did so. This $50 hotel cost $130 on average over the 4 horrible nights I spent there.

I have included some photos (yes, I got a nice new camera here in Hong Kong) so I can back all my comments up. The best way is to list the pro and cons of this place in bullet form.

PROS
• This Hotel is near the MRT (subway station) called Sheung Wan which is the last stop on the Island Line
• The location is good, very local Cantonese and walking distance to some good restaurants and the suburb called Central
• Free in-house movies (care to be taken if you have kids, there is no lock and they do have Adult movies)
• Wifi was fast and reliable
• Bed and pillows were comfortable

CONS
• This is a noisy Hotel, I mean early morning, narrow street truck traffic delivering to the warehouses and stores nearby
• The rooms, even the delux room is small – think the length of a double bed with one foot to walk around it, that is how narrow the room is
• It takes about 5 mintues for the hot water to come through the shower head (everytime)
• Staff were responsive, but not very friendly
• There was a Power board INSIDE the shower – NOT kidding, see photo called Power in the Shower. This was not covered up very well and there were electrical wires geting wet in the shower – TRUE
• All the cool (big selling point for them) tech stuff broke down on a daily basis, TV remote, air con, it all at some stage failed and I had to get it fixed
• Towels had holes in them – TRUE, see photo. I had them replace the towels only to get more holy towels the following day. Don’t get much for your $130 bucks in this Hotel
• The Hosekeeping lived on my floor, 3rd floor (my floor), they were realy noisy starting most mornings at 5.30am when they took delieries of something, I actually thought they were running another business. Plus, I noticed they actually live in the store room, TRUE!
• There is NO SAFE in this surposidly hi tech hotel (go figure!)

I think the management need to ‘Mingle’ with their customers a bit more and find out and fix the many issues they have in their hotel, Mingle on the Wing. Seriously there are many other, much better hotels in this area and I will never stay with this ‘Mingle’ brand again.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
4  Thank kristian_page

Reviewed December 15, 2009

I stayed here one night before catching a flight back home- they have what is called a "lite"room for single travellers. it is small but well set up with tons of gadgets and movies and so much high tech stuff I had to have the front desk come up and help me! I got it for an amazing price online but I think their regular prices are too high. I paid 350 Hong Kong dollars and it is on the island walking distance to Wanchai and Soho. Nice staff too.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank lemonmerangue1
Reviewed November 13, 2009

We decided to book this hotel mainly because of the central location. The hotel was really difficult to find. We exit from the Sheung Wan station. The entrance of the hotel was very small and hard to spot. We literally walked past it. Luckily, with the help of the shopkeeper there, we managed to find it in the end. The rooms were quite small but they are clean and well made. We were a little surprised when we didn't find a safe in the room. On the second day, there was a blackout at our floor. All the lights were out and this made the packing difficult as we were checking out that day. The receptionist was trying to help as much as possible but I guess there's nothing much he can do. Overall, it still quite a nice experience staying there.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank euniceps
Reviewed November 6, 2009

So i arrived with the airport express to the central station

I tried to use my airport express to take the metro to the next station Sheung Wan, wrong, the metro ticket guy tell me i have to pay 4 $HK, ok now i'm in the metro exit.

I get to find the street Wing Lok but all the buildings are very small, lots of tiny shops, lots of persons, it's around 22:00.

I ask a fellow in one of the shops, no problem with the english, i find the number, the front of the building is modern and different to all the other buildings but the enter seems old and dirty, it wasnt that the entry ! is the next door, much better, i arrived to the hotel.

The reception is serious but respectful, two ladies, they make me an upgrade to the standard room instead the one i reserved "the lite". I was a little sad because i wanted to make the review to the lite, but as is a free upgrade, who cares ! :D

OK, free wifi, and if you dont have your laptop you have pcs in the reception too.

The bed has a decent size, the room is little and the space the minimum, but i have a plasma TV, Surround Sound, a hot shower and I'm in HKG, BIG TIME !.

So I will suggest this hotel for couples and also for singles looking for friends ;)

by the way the heat of the moment is around the corner ;)

I really like hong kong, the time i visited it, hong kong was nice, warm (in all senses) and so alive.

The only downside could be that in the metro and centric streets ... there is tooo much people ! :D

anyway i will be there soon again, i know that by sure.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Sergio_Claver
Reviewed October 31, 2009

This place is all about location, situated in the middle of Central. Tiny rooms, but quiet, clean and modern with comfy bed. Service a bit iffy but we didn't go there expecting Four Seasons service. Our double bed was pretty much the size of the room, but our room came with a big balcony(!). So long as you're not planning to spend all your time lounging in your room during your stay in HK, this hotel is excellent value. Recommended!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2009

Been Staying with Mingle the 2nd time this Year, and will Mark my stay next Month again~! Been Traveling to Hong Kong quite a number of time this year, Mingle still the Choice of stay.

The Place is nice, clean & "Hi Tech", just love the Big LCD and Hidden Hifi Speakers in the Room. For those who Travelling to Macau within your Hong Kong Stay, this is the right spot, only mins of walking distance to the HK-Macau Ferry teminal. MTR is just 1 min of running distance, lol.

The Style & Design i can say do match up to a boutique hotel feel. It's just the right for my taste. You feel safe and cosy when you are in there.

Brought a Friend over to Mingle the Last stay and She love the Place so much, and just had her stay last week when she's there!

Looking forward to the next stay next month~~

thedesignerkEn ~

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank thedesignerken
Reviewed October 8, 2009

being a pseudo-hotel-photo-journalist, i have taken several shots of this small yet IT savvy hotel. the location is in "sheung wan", just a stop away from "central" MTR and if you are arriving from macau, this hotel is just a 10-15 mins walk away via a tunnel. been there, done that. everything is pretty much accessible and within reach. a convenient store to your right, a small local fast food chain and on your left, several shops selling bird's nest & other chinese herbal stuff.

minus, the size of each room, swimming pool or gym facilities, which is incomparable to the "big boys, Mingle makes up with the minimalist decor room for the IT savvy who needs to stay connected all the time. Think internet, skype & wiring your laptop to the telly. What more can i say?

ever since putting up pictures of this hotel on facebook and giving testimonials, i've had & referred more than 5 different groups of guest to this bold & young hotel.

one word to sum it up: you might be back on your next trip. (just like i did)

- wanderlus®