“Great place, small clean rooms, MTR on doorstep”

and 1 more site!
Mingle Place On The Wing
Ranked #386 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed August 14, 2009

I booked a Standard TWIN room with my mother but when we checked in, I was surprised to find that we had a double bed. No problems, just a little glitch with our booking - staff quickly fixed this up by separating the two single beds.

The room was around 400 HKD/night (fromwotif.com), but be warned: the Standard rooms are very tiny. But I got used to it and after 2 nights it didn't bother me. After all we only used the room for sleeping and washing. Room was very clean with comfortable beds. The bathroom was clean too, fairly modern and reasonably sized. Only minor glitch was that the fancy techno light switches in our room didn't work very well, but this was not such a big thing.

Location is fantastic - only a minute's walk from the MTR entrance (not the train platform, as you could spend hours walking through the tunnels, etc). The room was relatively quiet too. Room was on the 4th floor and I'm a light sleeper but there was very little traffic noise.

I would definitely go back there - great value for money, clean, great location. Free internet in reception area.

• Stayed: February 2009
1  Thank globetrotterNz
There are newer reviews for Mingle Place On The Wing

Reviewed July 30, 2009

We stayed here for next to nothing. The staff were friendly, room clean, nice and the mini bar cheap. They had a big TV, lots of free movies, internet and and airconditioning. The most important thing however was that it was very close to the train-about a one minute walk. I would highly reccommend it.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cbcbcbcb
Reviewed July 17, 2009

For just HKD270, you get a single room, comfy bed with proper linen, complete with free wifi, interactive lcd tv with free on-demand movies (not fuzzy pirated images)/music/online radio stations from all over the world (select country then radio station then play, although BBC 1/2/3 didn't work but Capital was fine - 2nd hotel I've been to with built-in online radio, the other being Pullman Bangkok), Pioneer hifi speakers, electrical sockets, flask, coffee/tea, wardrobe, dvd player (hidden in wardrobe), mini-fridge, paper slippers, alarm clock (mine wasn't crazy), proper toilet with glass door shower stall with rainforest shower head (fantastic water pressure, glass door closes properly no water spilling all over the place), toilet bowl with dual water-saving functions, sink and storage below it.

Yes the room is tiny (L-shaped), but that's because the toilet is of decent size. I've stayed in different hostels, from Hotel USA to Yess In, and for the same price MOTW is a godsend, they've got bathrooms where your body can actually move and have a decent shower.

Recep girls didn't smile alot but when I told them my speakers couldn't work, they promised to fix it and by the time I got back, it was done. When I enquired with the night shift guy he wasn't informed of the problem, but immediately went up to check. Such attentive service. The only thing I couldn't figure out was the skype phone, but didn't bother.

There's also 2 laptops in the lobby for surfing, but if you need to print boarding pass (which is unnecessary), its HKD10 per copy.

The MTR exit is 30 seconds away. diagonally across the street, there's a Fairway next to the hotel, no funny smell anywhere although the famous Hoi Mei Gai (chinese shops selling raw seafood) is nearby. Fantastic location if you ask me, but those coming from the airport should take note, it's better to take bus A11 (HKD40) than the Airport Express simply because it is cheaper, more convenient and faster. Get off at the 4th stop (buses are equipped with electronic signage), then find your way into Wing Lok steeet (about 5 to 10 min walk).

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank t-puk
Reviewed July 15, 2009

I was apprehensive about booking a stay here after reading the mixed reviews, but I decided to go ahead since the most recent reviews were pretty decent. Well, I totally lived to regret it. The day I arrived at the hotel, I was given a single room on the 9th floor - that was already occupied by a male guest. The gentleman in the room was equally confused, and he called the reception to tell them about the mix-up. I returned downstairs and was asked to wait. No explanation was given by the staff about why my room was already occupied. Fifteen minutes later, one of the staff told me my room's ready and escorted me upstairs to the 9th floor, and back to the same room I was given earlier. The male guest who had earlier occupied the room was moved to the room next door. I didn't know if he had entered the wrong room by mistake (although as to how he could have entered my room with another room's key card, I had no idea), or if the staff had given the both of us the same room key. Either way, I didn't know because no explanation was offered by the staff.

On my second day at the hotel, I returned in the afternoon to find my room door unlocked. Thankfully, nothing was stolen. I complained to the staff at the reception, but again, no apology or explanation was given. That evening, I decided to leave the hotel and move to another one. I'm a woman travelling alone, and I felt that my safety was being compromised at Mingle. The staff at Mingle refused to refund the unused portion of my stay, and again, made no effort to apologise for my horrid experience at their property.

Safety issues aside, the rooms here are dreadfully small. There's no room to put your luggage, the bed is sandwiched in between the wall and wardrobe, and the sink in the bathroom is so small that water gets everywhere when you use it. The walls of the hotel are also dreadfully thin, my first and only night at Mingle was spent awake, accompanied by the noise of slamming doors and the muffled conversations of guests in the other rooms. Also, the clock radio in my room went off at random times throughout the night. I'm not a light sleeper, but I didn't manage to get any sleep at all in Mingle. You'd have to be dead to sleep through the noise.

All in all, I will not recommend staying at this hotel unless you don't mind putting your own safety at risk or dealing with ignorant staff who don't seem to understand much English. Pay a little more and go somewhere else. I did, and moved to The Cityview, where I was rewarded with a clean, quiet, bigger and safe room and extremely attentive staff.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank intransit111
schungx, owner at Mingle Place On The Wing, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2009

We appologize for this total disaster!

The man in the room was our in-house maintenance technician, who was doing some small fixup work in the room. He notified the front-desk that the work was done, but then found out when crossing out his tasks list that he forget something, and went back to get it done. The front desk receptionist, meanwhile, checked you in without knowing that the technician was in the room. It was a mis-communication error on our part, and we are really sorry for any inconveniences caused to you!

The technician moved to the next room because he was doing work in all of the 9/F rooms on that day.

If you do intend to stay here again (please give us another chance!), please accept a complementary upgrade to a Delux Room as our compensation for your sufferings! Cite this review when you make your booking.

Thanks for staying with us!

Reviewed July 9, 2009

Great things about this Hotel:
- 2 minutes walk to the subway station
- I paid $50/night. Worth every penny
- Very clean and trendy
- Free internet at the Lobby
- Nice staff

One Negative Thing about this Hotel:
- Very small rooms. Which didn't bother me or my friend! We were in Hong Kong to site see. Not to hangout at the hotel. This hotel really served our purpose - to sleep.

Definitely would stay here again!!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank mdvu
Reviewed June 1, 2009

I have stayed at many different places in HK, and this was a big surprise. To be warned, the room is tiny, but it's incredibly efficiently designed. 1 min walk from MTR. They have free wifi and free wired broadband, which seems to less common these days in HK. There is an LCD TV with a wide selection of free movies to watch, and a DVD player if you bring your own (if you are coming from the Mainland you may have acquired a few.) You are also able to attach your Ipod to the sound system. There is a Skype-based phone, which I have never seen before. The bed is not hard as a rock, as is the usual in China. The biggest surprise was there was a private balcony almost as big as the room itself! I got my room for less than 40 USD.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank quietshoes
Reviewed May 30, 2009

I had a business trip to Korea, and took a couple of night stopover in HK on the way back home to Sydney. This rate was cheap and I was sceptical about booking. Yes, my single room was small, but sparkling clean and fresh. Unless you want to work or spend all day in the room it should not be a problem. There was the usual outside noise, as you will get anywhere in HK, but closing the window soon fixed this.

While some reviewers mentioned about the mis-alignment of the bathroom mirror and shadows caused by lighting, I did not notice this as a problem. I don't think you would get a bathroom, minibar, or DVD player in your room at this price elsewhere in this central location.

I was satisfied with this hotel. In fact I was checking reviews again because I am suprised again by the low price available for my next visit to HK! and will be staying again.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo