Mingle Place On The Wing
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Very Good 4/5
99 Bonham All Suite Hotel(Hong Kong)
  • Restaurant
Ovolo Noho(Hong Kong)
Huatai Hotel(Hong Kong)
Average 3/5
    See what travelers are saying:
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed June 27, 2012

When researching accommodation in Hong Kong we were shocked by how expensive the hotels were. Mingle on the Wing was extremely reasonable, in comparison to others, and included free wi-fi - something which was almost always extra in the 4 and 5 star hotels we looked at (but could definitely not afford!). Our 2 nights in Mingle on the Wing was about €136 all in, absolutely great value.

Located in Central, only minutes walk from everything, including the Ferry terminal to Macau/Shenzhen/Mainland - our reason for choosing it as we had luggage. Also on metro line - a few doors down, and easy to get to Hong Kong airport and Kowloon etc.

Hotel is REALLY small, does not offer any sort of breakfast, and the rooms are absolutely TINY. Do not underestimate how small they are - not a lot bigger that what you would find on a passenger ferry. The standard double is too small really for 2 people with luggage, and a little claustrophoic but its do-able for 1 or 2 nights. You really cannot swing a cat in the rooms, and my husband and I had to keep getting out of eachother's way to get dressed or to get at things.

The hotel is modern though, and very well decorated and clean and tidy with friendly staff. Bathrooms again, are very small, but this place is definitely worth it for what you pay - a place to lay your head down at night. Next time I stay here I would probably ask for a suite though. I think it would be worth paying that little bit extra for more space, especially for 2 people with luggage, and definitely for any kind of extended stay beyond 2 nights.

DEFINITELY TERRIFIC VALUE!

Room Tip: Choose an upgraded room for more space - especially if you are on the bigger side
    • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
    Reviewed June 24, 2012

Having been warned off the hostels in HK by two friends and left it too late to go down the AirBnB or couchsurfing options as I'd planned, I stumbled across Mingle Place On The Wing via wotif.com and ended up booking my first night in HK direct via their website.

I was drawn by their location (genuinely 1 minute from Sheung Wan MTR station exit A2), the fact they had single rooms (and so wouldn't be paying for a non-existent second guest) and their reasonable price for the Wednesday night in question (although the rate was due to drop even lower after the weekend which I have since found out was because Friday was a Chinese holiday and there was also a conference on that weekend).

Unlike some of the other recent visitors, I couldn't have been happier with my choice. I was expecting a small room and this was what I got, but as I wanted a simple, safe place to rest my weary head, it served its purpose. The room also had a safe (a pleasant surprise) and whoever said the shower was too small obviously didn't spot the overhead drench option and only used the wall-mounted one, because as someone who is 5ft11, that was most definitely high enough for me to fit under. Bizarrely, for a single room, it would have comfortably fitted two people in it too.

The internet is fast (with indiviudal routers apparently in each room) and although I had a slight issue with the entertainment system upon check-in, this was resolved as requested whilst I was out exploring the nearby area.

I was so happy with the place in fact that having spent a couple of nights in Macau and another night elsewhere in HK (see other reviews), I snapped up a Lite room for my last 3 nights in HK at the very reasonable price of 400HKD per night and is where I am whilst typing this review.

If anything, I actually prefer this room as it is long and thin rather than square and so am able to hide my suitcase on a bench on the side. Once again there's a slight issue with the entertainment system, but once it is up and running again, I'll have an incredible selection of films to choose from and with something so ambitious and complex, I was expecting there might be the odd teething problem.

I would have no hesitation in staying here again (hence I already am) and would highly recommend the hotel for any solo travellers visiting the city. I cannot comment on its suitability or otherwise for more than one person as I have no personal experience of that or their rooms.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
    Reviewed June 18, 2012

Was attracted to Mingle Place on The Wing solely because of the location. Wanted to stay in HK island for a change and decided to settle for this since its so convenient and near the MTR. We are a group of 3, so we took the Deluxe Double Room. The Deluxe didnt sound or look that deluxe though, the room was too small to be called Deluxe, but enough for 3 of our luggages to be placed on the floor with ample walking space. Room condition was bad. Everything, from the desk to looks old and because of that it looks dirty to us too. The aircon was old and extremely noisy too. Luckily the bed was clean.

The lift was right outside our room and it can be really noisy when other guests come back or are going out.

The bathroom was in quite a terrible state. The holder holding the shower looks as if it's going to drop off anytime. Everytime after we showered, the floor will be wet even though we closed the glass door. There wasnt enough space for our toiletries and no space to hang our clothes in the bathroom when bathing, it's just really small! Hot water didnt worked on one of the nights until we alerted the staff.

The fridge is almost close to useless as it is not cold at all. We bought our own drinks/milk and put them in the fridge, and it turned bad just over the night in the next morning. Why bother to put a fridge there when it doesnt even serve the purpose?!

The best thing about Mingle is the free wifi access it offers. It let us stay connected with friends and family and is convenient when we need access to the internet. I also love that the 7-11 is just a few steps away from the hotel, its really really convenient. Not forgetting the close distance to Sheung Wan MTR, it makes it all up for the condition and size of the room. No complains about the staff. They are helpful.

If the management of Mingle on the Wing could spent a little to improve and refurbish their rooms, Im sure it will be beneficial to them in the long run given the ideal location of their establishment. I personally do not mind small rooms, small rooms can be cozy too, but at least they have to be in good decent condition. Im not sure about their other rooms, but the Deluxe Double room we were in is REALLY old and run-down!

Im not sure if I would be back to Mingle on the Wing again. If Im travelling solo or in pairs, I may consider since the location is really good. But for a group of 3, its not quite advisable to stay in Mingle. Unless the rooms especially the bathrooms are refurbished and improved, its not going to be a very pleasant stay, at least for me.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
    2  Thank cookie25
    Reviewed May 25, 2012

The room is tiny, tiny. We put our 2 suitcases down, then there's no room to walk. My mom and my aunt shares a twin room and it's even worse. The bed is just half of queen size and set so close to each other. They had to upgrade to "suite room" which adds more space enough for 2 suitcases.
    The staffs are indifferent, not helpful at all. You would never see their smile.
    However, it's clean enough and has good location.
    I wounldn't come here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
    2  Thank Patterson7884
    Reviewed May 10, 2012

I was in Hong with some friends but they left before me and had to book a hotel as a solo traveller for 3 nights. Most hotels are pretty much the same price regardless if you are 1 or 2 therefore I choose On the Wing - They had good prices for solo rooms!
    The rooms are small (as mentions many many times) but to me that is fine. The bed is however very short, I'm 174 cm/5.7 ft and too short in my opionon.
    The Wifi is super fast and really works. The entertainment system will movies was excellent, really enjoyed that:)
    Location is perfect, you can work anywhere and a lot of stores/food in the area. 7/11, startbucks, subway, Pret and loads of local places.
    As a solo traveller I will highly recommend this place - due to price, entertainment (Wifi, movies).
    But if you are travelling in a pair I would look at one of the bigger hotels for deals and comfort.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo