“Good Location, Poor Maintenance”

and 1 more site!
Mingle Place On The Wing
Ranked #383 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed August 27, 2011

I have stayed at Mingle on the Wing at least several times in the past 4 years and am sad to report that their standards have dropped largely due to poor maintenance. On my first stay, the technological novelties that the hotel boasts of did actually work. On-demand videos, remote controlled room lighting, etc.

However on my subsequent stays, I encountered various problems. Their novelty IT system doesn't work anymore, the air conditioner was dripping, sometimes the door card reader fails, either the TV or the remote doesn't work. On my last stay there was a cockroach under the bed and their wifi, which was usually reliable, was disappointingly dodgy.

I did not mind the paper thin walls and the ultra small rooms. The location is excellent and the free wifi was a big draw, which was why I continued staying here several times. However it has become an unpleasureable place to stay and I hope the management improves the maintenance of the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank AccidentalTourist69
There are newer reviews for Mingle Place On The Wing

Reviewed August 22, 2011

There are a lot of negative articles concerning this hotel, which surprise me. Let me address some of the main ones:
1. Rooms are small - YES! This hotel is in an amazing location, one stop from central, in the funky Sheung Wan area. What do you expect for this very reasonable price?
2. Hard to find - Yes, this is true...but there is a great map on their website. Print it out, and you will have NO trouble finding it!
3. Technology - Yes, there is a lot of useless technology that is difficult to use as some may or may not work. However, unless you are planning on spending all day in the room, then does it really matter?
Overall, this is a great, small hotel in a fantastic location, perfect if you are doing a few days in HK on a budget.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Mingle on the Wing, like its sister property, Mingle by the Park, is a rarity in HK: cheap, clean, centrally-located and a decent place to stay. If you book on a last minute hotel website you can get rooms for about HK$400-500 (around US$50-60). As between the Mingle on the Wing and Mingle by the Park, the former is better located if you are planning on taking a visit to Macau as it is very close to the Macau Ferry Terminal (walking distance). As with other Mingle properties, the Mingle on the Wing is in an old HK building that has been renovated with a certain amount of character and style, with pictures of old HK on the walls and tasteful tiles on the floors. It is also completely high-tech with free wifi and a large movie library on demand. Now if you are wondering what the catch is, it is room size. The rooms are tiny. I would advise against the "lite" rooms as they are really, really tiny. But the single rooms and above are livable (but if you are very tall then this probably is not the place for you). Basically, if all you want is a clean bed to sleep in, a good shower and free wifi in an excellent location, consider the Mingle on the Wing. Note, this property has an elevator (Mingle by the Park in Wanchai does not) so it is easy to get to your room, but given room sizes there won't be much space for a lot of luggage in any event. Again, this is a place for the solo traveler or couple who want a convenient and cheap base from which to explore HK but who are not planning on spending a lot of time in the hotel itself.

Room Tip: "Lite" rooms are really tiny; book single or larger
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank tmmahony
Reviewed August 4, 2011

This was one of the worst if not the worst hotel I have stayed in, as far as upkeep and amenities. My paperwork said we would have twin beds for my daughter and I, but we were given two beds pushed together as a king size bed and crammed into a room with literally a one foot wide aisle on one side of the bed. It really was the size of a walk-in closet and felt claustrophobic.

One of the sliding wooden window shades was off track so if you slid it to a certain spot it could fall on your head while sleeping. The ceiling-mounted A.C. vent was stuck almost shut so no air circulated, so I had to stand on my tippy-toes on the edge of the bed and was just barely able to pull it down into place. After several hours I also discovered the A.C. remote had no batteries so that was why the A.C. was not cooling the room.

I also did not appreciate several black hairs on the bathroom floor, which had the appearance that it had not been washed or not washed well. I scooped them up before my teenage daughter saw them and was grossed out on what we had planned to be a special getaway for the two of us.

There was a nice flat-screen television but the dvd player, music system and 200 movies library advertised on the website as a highlight of their rooms did not work. Our dvd came out in black and white and had no sound. The lady at the front desk kindly tried to get it to work but she is a desk clerk, not an electrician. She told us the second day that the dvd player was fixed, but now it only played the music track of dvds, no speaking at all. I told them it still didn’t work. The desk clerk was apologetic, but it was never fixed nor did we ever have any of the music or 200 movies advertised on the website. So instead of having enjoyable movie nights we scrounged around their 3 English-speaking television channels and found a Discovery channel program of skinning seals and a sappy Mom’s Cooking program.

The electrical outlet is crammed way back inside a cupboard shelf that is about 5 inches tall so it is impossible to use the electric teapot which is placed on the shelf above it. Fortunately I found another outlet hidden on the tv table to boil water.

Our second evening there, while we were in our room still trying to get that dvd system to work, apparently our phone was not working because my husband tried to call in several times and was told by the front desk that my daughter and I were not back to our rooms yet – causing him unnecessary worry that we were not back yet when we were.

Our last morning as I hurried around to boil water for coffee and use my hair straightener, all the electric outlets in our room stopped working. This also meant that when I returned from getting something at the store for my daughter who had the stomach flu, the room's doorbell and also key system did not work so she had to get up from her sick bed to let me in. They did fix it when I notified them, but this was one too many of a series of poor upkeep on this property.

On the positive side, it is very convenient to the subway. The bed was comfortable. One or two of the front desk clerks tried hard to help. The bathroom looked like it had been redone and was in some ways larger than the bedroom – but there was no place to put things so it still felt inconvenient. The neighborhood was good and the hotel was quiet.
Mingle on the Wing looked like a place where my daughter and I could build some special memories together. We did build some memories, but not the kind I imagined. Thankfully we chose to see the unique humor of living in a closet, the repeated failed attempts to get the dvd system to work, and all the other things that if we didn’t laugh we would cry over – but I will remember what appeared to me to be the shoddy management and upkeep of what could be a very nice hotel. Next time, we will choose to “mingle” somewhere else!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank lovinlivin
Reviewed April 19, 2011

Stayed for 5 days. Room is small & has no view but no problem; far better then tiny noisy quirky room @MIngle Park. You can walk around in room w/o smashing into fixtures. Twin bed is 6 feet longer, so beware if you are taller. Convenient free PCs in lobby. Location is fantastic, 2 blocks from MTR stop & tram. Wing Lok street is fine, quiet and no problems with dried fish stores. Multiple convenience stores within 2 blocks. Try the Cafe de Coral chain 2 blocks away. all fast food should be this good; recommend the glutinous chicken rice & coffee for breakfast @~HK$24, that's ~$3 US and very tasty! Only issue is shower, I stayed on 12th floor room and water temp kept alternating from very hot to very cold so it took 3X as long to shower.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank EatSeeDo
Reviewed March 21, 2011

So you can't do cartwheels in the rooms. Circus tricks are not what I need in a hotel room. But this room did have all the facilities a standard traveller might need. And it was cheerful, cosy, modern... maybe even nouveau chic... ok, that's going too far. Sensational location...I was overall impressed.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Samjane2
Reviewed March 9, 2011

Location is fine and thats all. Tiny room, absolutely no hotel lobby, pictures and description
on site totally disappointed. Yes, their have internet - but very slow, yes - have 5.1 system
but for DVD only (can't connect my computer). And everything is cheap and dirty.
Just throw away 900 HKD. Search within 1 mile and you have good (but old) hotel
with great rooms and free upgrades for 570 HKD.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple