“Imaginative cooking with modern Hong Kong style”

Mandarin Grill + Bar at Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
Ranked #7 of 9,325 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: International
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central
Description: The restaurant is proud to have retained its Michelin star for the eighth year running. Using the finest organic ingredients and seasonally inspired produce, we offer an exciting, fresh interpretation of grill classics. Such acclaimed cuisine requires an equally stunning setting and our Sir Terence Conran-designed space never fails to impress. Overlooking Statue Square and Chater Garden, décor is wonderfully vibrant with a moulded scallop-inspired ceiling, Gerard D’A Henderson paintings and a central banquette. Child policy: Children aged 6 years or above are welcome. Dress code: Smart-casual attire. We request that guests refrain from wearing shorts (of any length), torn jeans, sportswear, singlets, collarless T-shirts, flip flops and gentlemen's sandals.
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

We went on a Friday night. Service was attentive by young staff. My beer order was forgotten. However the rest of service was excellent so justifying a very good rating.
Imaginative because venison was served as a panorama of a deer in a wood. Fish served with the scales fried and reconstituted as a spiky cover.
Worth a visit for the experience of a modern uber urban oriental restaurant serving "international" fare.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

Amazing spot, atop the MO in Hong Kong. Phenomenal dim sum and other choices. Expensive, but not too bad, given that dim sum can only get so crazy. The atmosphere is utterly spectacular - with views and 5-star+ furnishings. An oasis of tranquility amongst the frenetic street environment of Hong Kong. A must visit!

Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

For the same price as dining in the see and be seen Cafe Causette within the same hotel you can enjoy better service, a view and a discreet table. If you have an important meeting or prefer an intimate setting, this is the place. Breakfast options range from full English to local dim sum.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Fantastic service. I had lunch alone as my husband (who was there for work) couldn't join me that afternoon. The staff looked after me so well that I felt absolutely spoilt and pampered. The quality of food was great. My only feedback was that I wish they had more local food items on the menu, I would have loved to try their take on some local delicacies.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

I'm extremely fortunate to have eaten in some of the world's top restaurants. I'm also old enough to look beyond the showmanship and gimmickry, staged by some high-end restaurants, and focus on the food.

For me, the food at the Mandarin Grill was average. I truly mean that and came away disappointed - as well as HK$3,000 poorer. I dined in the evening and chose the Duck dish - medium rare. The duck was dry and lacking in succulence. The flavour of the duck was also lacking - no doubt because it has been over-cooked. The side dish of vegetables were also fairly uninspiring.

I found the service over-attentive and at times somewhat irritating. While I appreciate the staff were only doing their job, I do not need a 3 minute explanation on exactly what each of the bread rolls in the basket was made from. Nor do I think it necessary to be offered a choice of 6 Olive oils to dip my bread in. As for the 'molecular gastronomy', I found the whole affair pretentious and was unimpressed by the lack of flavour.

To me, the Mandarin Grill is set up to impress the 'new money', whose main motive for dining there is to gain bragging rights and not for the food. Hence, the Mandarin's focus on gimmicks and fawning service. The food was distinctly average and I honestly think you can do much better at a HK$300 a head Cantonese chain restaurant. Hong Kong does have some first class, fine dining. The Lung Keen Heen restaurant at the 4 Seasons is one of them. Based on my meal, the Mandarin Grill is not, in my opinion.

2  Thank AnEnglishmaninAsia