“Beautiful setting, good restaurant with good food”

Amber at The Landmark Mandarin Oriental
Ranked #2 of 7,933 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Contemporary, French
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Central
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful setting, good restaurant with good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Read the reviews, looking forward to the dinner. Food was a 4. Had the 8 course degustation. Quality was good, but a bit uninspired. Two courses of foie gras was too much. Timing of dishes was a bit off. 8 courses took 2.5 hours, and a 9pm sitting dragged a little. The cheese course was a bit amateurish: a wheeled cart to the table, 'pick 5 cheeses', explained the choices in hushed tones with a Chinese accent left a little to be desired. Rest of the deserts were tasty. Service prompt but clinical; minimal expression from the staff, minimal conversation, minimal effort. Good service, very efficient. Sommelier knowledgeable, prompt. Setting was beautiful. Wouldn't go back however.

1 Thank Frequent_travl

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
“Great food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Had a lunch last week.Service was perfect and food was nice. The John Dory was so nice! Highly recommended!

London, United Kingdom
“Mediocre food but exceptional service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Having heard the michelin 2 star reputation, it took me around a week to book this restaurant on a weekday during lunch which is quite reasonable considering the small seating area. After trying the Mandarin Grill + Bar, I was expecting a selection of olive oil for my bread however I was only offered salted butter, which was disappointing. I believe the amuse bouche (foie gras lollipop) is the most unique out of all dishes. I find the contrast between the sweet raspberry candy with a slice of beetroot and buttery foie gras very interesting and is a must try. For starters, I had a broccoli veloute and my friend had a cold salmon. My cauliflower veloute was delicious and if you are quite fond of spring onion, I would definitely recommend this. I also like the combination of the soup and the bread roll with slices of onion in it. The salmon was too bland probably due to the cold cream sauce that had minimal seasoning. Then I had the John Dory which was not warm enough maybe because it was ready before I finished my starter (?) Despite the complex flavours, the seasoning did not compliment the venison ravioli, making the dish so so. I liked the complimentary pre-dessert which was a chocolate covered coconut ice-cream served in a lollipop form. However, I would say a refreshing sorbet might be more appropriate to cleanse my pallet. Finally I had a chestnut mille feuille which was light and crusty but not outstanding and a tainori 64% chocolate which was so over baked and dry I couldn't finish half of it. (Bear in mind this is from a chocoholic!) Our waiter overheard our conversation and offered to replace my dessert, but I was too full. This really shows that the restaurant value customer opinion. Overall I was disappointed at the food but the service was exceptional. However the lunch set menu was of good value ($518+10%). Perhaps the degustation menu might be better?

New York City, New York
“An arm and a leg, but not 2 stars.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

When you spend nearly $8.000 HK ($1,000 U.S.) for dinner for 3, you hope the food will be memorable. The service was excellent, being professional yet friendly. The room was "nice". The lighting was a bit dark and too yellow/orange from being dimmed, so the very exquisite presentation and colors of the food get lost in the darkness. With an eight-course meal, I don't expect every course to be a winner, but only two were "good" with none excellent, and the rest okay, but none bad. There were four amuses to start the meal, one good, but several average and one not so good. The high price and two Michelin stars set my our expectations, but the food fell flat even though the service was great. They have a truffle tasting menu at close to $500 US per person, and orderining three courses a la carte wont necessarily save you much off the eight-course degustation menu. Tim Ho Wan, with only one Michelin star cost us about $40 in total for a filling feast, and the food was very satisfying if much less refined. Oh we'll, it all averages out.

Hong Kong, China
“Not Per Se or 11 Madison, or even Mraz and Sohn, but still quite good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

Beautfu room, exquisite service, and B/ B+ food.

Nor a single dish of the 8 course tasting menu REALLY stood out. Closest were Wagyu beef and Sea Urchin with lobser jelly and cauliflower panne cotta.

We'd eaten at Huting the night before and, 2 Michelin stars not withstanding, found Amber did not hold a candle.