“good food and good service”

Amber at The Landmark Mandarin Oriental
Ranked #2 of 7,925 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Contemporary, French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Central
Bangkok, Thailand
“good food and good service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

feeling the elegant mode and here very nice atmosphere since when arrived , i had weekend lunch with wine pairing just (6 courses and 4 wine ) price 922 HKD net each

value of money for french restaurant in 5 stars hotel , a taste of every dishes were amazing

overview ..... great foods and services

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Had dinner at Amber, Landmark Mandarin Oriental Hotel on 19/10/2012.
Ordered Ala Carte as we find the Degustation menu too much for small Asian appetites. My wife had the Foie Gras paired with a Burgundy, Blue Lobster with champagne, and Grand Marnier soufflé. I had the Hokaido Diver Scallop paired with champagne, Iberian pork with a Barolo and a chocolate soufflé. In between we were given many small courses done in a very creative manner. We thought the food quality and presentation was very high having eaten at 3 Michelin star restaurants in Paris.
Service was impeccable as the captain personally took time to chat with us and the guests at other tables. As with fine dining restaurants anywhere in the world the captain or waiter will take time to explain each dish. I personally like to know what I'm eating so it's fine with me.
The sommelier was very knowledgeable and we had a a nice chat about wines and champagnes. He enjoyed his work and it shows in his attitude.
The environment was fine with atmospheric dim lighting. Generally most guests were well attired and were not noisy.
Our overall impression was very positive and we would dine there again. Generally the attitude of the staff was excellent and gave us the impression that they really wanted our business.

Melbourne
“Delicious food, lacked a little atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

We had the lunch menu with matched wine.

Everything was delicious, and well presented.

My only fault is that it lacked a little bit of atmosphere - was quite quiet and the staff were just a little bit too over attentive that you couldn't 100% relax.

Visited October 2012
Hong Kong, China
“Good but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

I've long been hesitant to try high end western cuisine in Hong Kong but a birthday celebration I thought to be a good occasion to try Amber over lunch.
Was it good? Yes.
Is this to be considered a top 50 (or whatever list) restaurant in the world? Not quite sure.

Staff is attentive but just like most of the HK service staff they all have the same routine and I felt they fall way short on personalization of service which you'd at least expect in a place of this reputation. Machines with a smile if you will. The sommelier was a notable exception and a few trainee western staff tried their best as well. At least, I thought them to be trainees though just like anywhere in China/HK, many second rate westerners are hired to boost the image rather than for for their intrinsic quality.

The Interior: tasteful/sober/stylish. Good job.

The food; well, one of the reasons I long hesitated upscale western food in HK is my concern on Freshness of the food. Most ingredients used aren't very local produce, and you notice. Artishoke, herring, atlantic cod, ... all quite good but you feel there's a downgrade in quality.
Don't get me wrong... I enjoyed the lunch for sure, but this isn't quite the food quality I'd expect from a 2 star and I suspect the product quality is to blame.

Still, definitely worth doing as a business lunch, very good deal.

• Visited October 2012
LamdmarkMandarin, Director of Communications at Amber at The Landmark Mandarin Oriental, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent experience at Amber. We are saddened to learn about your disappointment. We have brought your valuable feedback to the attention of our Amber team, as we do take comments from our guests very seriously, if you are available, we would appreciate an opportunity to speak to you on how we could improve in the future.

Kind regards,
Vivian Li
Director of Communications

vli@mohg.com
“Change my opinion of French food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Hmm, visiting Hong Kong and thought should not pass up the opportunity to dine at a 2 star Michelin star restaurant.

The initial start was slight bumpy as I was asked to reconfirm the night before via email that I will be honouring my booking. I'm sorry but this is Hong Kong - a city with bustling night life, street side food and endless shopping. So I replied to them at 11 pm and was pleasantly surprised that I got a reply back in about 6 minutes confirming my reservations.

Ok, so here starts the review proper.

Amber is located on the 7th floor of the Landmark Mandarin Oriental. The main dining area does not offer a spectacular view except of the opposite office building. Interior wise, it is done up every elegantly. There are tables for people wishing to have a sit down, have lunch and sign million dollar contracts. If you are after something more relaxing, there are tables with like booth seats enliven with cushions and a mini bolster to provide a much more relaxed atmosphere.

Again like Nobu, every service staff was mindful of my reservation and refer to myself by my last name. Sigh, I will be missing this sort of attention to details back in Perth. But I digress. Again we had the set lunch menu to give us a fair sample of what is available. The mini BOSS of course had the kid's meal (Black angus steak with french fries)

I had the global artichoke, Atlantic cod and the 65% dark choc. Artichokes never tasted so good, the Atlantic cod was simply to die for. You could taste the fish (in a good sense) and it was lightly salted. The 65% choc was a lovely dessert.

But the thing that I was surprised with or perhaps due to a lack of opportunity available, there was pre-starters, petit fours, pre-desserts. They were all complimentary and servers took their time and made an effort to explain what each petit four is made of and what each dish is composed of.

After this meal, like I have mentioned in my title, it has changed my opinion of french food. Previously, it was all about foie gras and "no way I am eating that". Now with Amber changing it, it is more like let's give it a go.

Again, service is impeccable, food is appetising and the staff attention to detail is amazing. This is the first restaurant that I have seen that actually provides you with a foot stool for your handbag (Handbag stool?)

Please do visit this restaurant if you have an opportunity. I think it is a worthwhile experience and that you will be the richer for it.

It is also one of the few restaurants in Hong Kong serving Western/European cuisine that is kids friendly.

1 Thank Crabcancer