“Avoid near closing time . Horrible customer service .”
Review of DOZO! - CLOSED

Cuisines: Japanese
Neighborhood: Central
Neighborhood: Central
Reviewed October 11, 2012

It was to be the perfect dinner with my mother. Our last night in Hong Kong and we decide to eat a sushi in Dozo. This restaurant use belt system to serve the sushis and sashimis.
First off all , the colors to identify the dishes is terrible and can be worst due to the low light conditions, even the bored and tired lady that are serving us cannot identify the colors and price.

I ordered a set of sushi and sashimi and then I went to the toilet. When I came back to the table the "bored and tired" lady start to ask in a very unpolite way which set I really want to choose.
Everything because my mother dont speak english and the waitres dont speak too.

After this happen, a terrible set of sushi and sashimi came, with a lot of rice in the sushi and some sashimis that seems to be made with a grass cuter.

Final conclusion: terrible customer service, tricky prices tag, bad food, expensive.

"...... Portuguese

Deveria ser a noite perfeita com a minha mae. Nosso ultimo dia em Hong Kong e decidimos jantar no Dozo. Esse restaurante serve os pratos num sistema de esteira.

Primeiro de tudo as cores de identificacao dos pratos e pessima. Nem a nossa "simpatica e amavel" atendente conseguiu nos dizer os precos. Some a isso a baixa iluminacao do lugar.

Pedi um combinado e fui ao banheiro. Quando voltei a nossa atendente de forma rude e grossa, me pediu para confirmar o pedido. Isso pq outro garcom que nao falava ingles decidiu conversar com minha mae que tambem nao fala ingles.

Quando veio o combinado, os sushis estavao enormes com muito arroz e pouco peixe e os sashimis preparados por uma crianca de 7 anos.

Conclusao. Restaurante ruim, comida ruim, preco caro e atendimento pessimo.

1  Thank joao b
There are newer reviews for DOZO!

Reviewed August 19, 2012

This is a simple review.... The food is disastrous, old stale food which comes from one of the dirtiest kitchens I have seen. If you dont trust my judgement take a look at the kitchen when you pass it to go to the toilet. The street food vendors in Hong Kong are so much cleaner than this place.

My advice is go a Genki Sushi outlet. It will cost half the price for better food that comes from a clean environment.

Reviewed June 11, 2012

We arrived late for lunch at 2:00 pm.
There was a limited range on the train about 8 different types, the tuna and salmon were exceptionally fresh
And the balance were very tasty.
Prices were reasonable.
Location great wait staff very attentive
Overall a good experience

Reviewed May 31, 2012

The title says it all, although the fact they were selling alcohol from a different restaurant as they didn't have a license should have been a key indicator this was going to be a place that cuts corners and has zero understanding in quality control or even meeting a customer expectation.

There were a 3 styles of fusion sushi/maki in the sushi train, the ones we tried weren't great - had better from 7-11.

The constant noise annoying us from the motor driving the sushi conveyor was only surpassed by the sound of the running tap water. My GF asked me why have they got the tap running, I said after years in the kitchen probably just defrosting something, little did I know it was for the ebi (prawn) sashimi to go on to our order!

To add insult to injury, I watched the cook(hardly correct to refer to him as a chef) dropped the prawn in the sink twice while peeling it.

my entire life has been in the F&B and hotel industry - this is the first time in my life I was so disgusted that I got up and left an establishment.

Photo of prawn defrosting and peeling area included below - great place if you wanna save $$$ on laxatives (defrosted next to a cleaning agent in sink - see photo)

1  Thank Epicured888
Reviewed May 5, 2012

This place in Lyndhurst St has a sushi train, which at lunchtime had only three varieties going around, one offering was edamame beans. The one sushi I tried was very tasty, but then... I observed the cook, chef, preparation person in the middle of the Sushi train island. He was wearing plastic gloves, very good. But he wore them for everything, cutting salmon, rolling rice, opening cupboard and fridge doors, opening boxes of ingredients, going out of the food prep area, ( not the toilet I hope), coming back, lovingly pressing salmon onto rice, handling plates and knives. Now my knowledge of japanese food says that raw fish needs very careful handling to avoid bacteria! I'd have felt better even if he had washed his gloved hands, but no, somehow they are immune.
The Bento box I ordered was tasty but by then my appetite was ruined. Highly visible practices require highly visible hygiene.
I was not convinced.