“Hardly Al Dente - The Food & Service At This Place Is Limp”
Review of Al Dente

Al Dente
Ranked #844 of 8,725 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Central
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Hardly Al Dente - The Food & Service At This Place Is Limp”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Let me start by saying I'm assuming this is a small chain of restaurants in Hong Kong because there appear to be several of them here. The one I visited was off Harbor Road in Wan Chai. Ive been there before and the food was steady. A place you go if exhausted, want a quick, decent bite - not in the foodie mood but the mood to eat, have a glass of wine and head off to bed.

Well, this time around i was disappointed. My glass of red wine was ok - probably about what it always has been. I ordered a plain salad - it was a heaping portion but the tomatoes tasted stale and the cucumbers were dried out. The dressing (Balsamic vinaigrette) very unevenly mixed in with the salad. Then came my penne arrabiata. The menu warned it could be spicy. It should have warned it was icky sweet.

The service was uneven. My server acknowledged it was his first night on the job - ok, i give him that. But maybe one of the other three or four servers should have been helping this fellow - and that shouldn't have been a problem given the place was about 1/4 full at 9 p.m. when i arrived.

Poorly managed in the kitchen as well as in the front.

I noticed when looking around that a few other tables were seated at tables with table clothes that had wine stains on them. They put these paper mats on the tables and remove them with each diner(s). Ok. But when the table is such a mess underneath, get it out of here!

This one off my list.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Ricky R

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Yecla, Spain
“Great evening with views across the water to Kowloon.”
Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

We had a really good meal here in this cosy little restaurant in Wanchai. The service was good, the food was excellent although the sea bass fillet was different to the ones we get in the UK, it was delicious though.The maitre'd was very jolly and attentive. The atmosphere was vibrant with lots of happy eaters and the bill was not a shock when it came. Would definitely go again if we were not leaving for NZ today.

Hong Kong, China
“great service and manager”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

id been in al dente harbour, great eagle centre to have dinner tonight.... food was so good, tall manager always smile. and service too great, far away when i come for dinner with my family before... i forget to have hes name card...

• Visited January 2013
Cape Town, South Africa
“Unpretentious , good location , good service , good atmosphere and good food !”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We booked an early summer dinner at Al Dente Hong Kong at the bottom end of viby SOHO. The restaurant was friendly and unpretentious offering good service , and the mushroom risotto , veal and cheese cake were all superb . We'll be back !!!

• Visited September 2012
Hong Kong, China
“Average Pasta and Service during Lunch Hour. SoHo prices”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I visited Al Dente for a late afternoon lunch, (not the most busy time in SoHo), so my experience may be a little off just because of the timing. I found my pasta to be that of average. The portions were definitely a good size however for my four cheese pasta, I found the the cheese to not stick to noodles well (which for me, makes me feel the dish is not well prepared). Been to better Italian restaurants in HK. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything special either.

It is a little cheaper that some of the other Italian restaurants in SoHo which is a plus. The other guests in my dining party all enjoyed their dishes quite well, so it may have just been my specific dish.

• Visited June 2012