“Decent Dim-sum quality and service”

Lei Garden - International Finance Centre
Ranked #696 of 8,953 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We had our dim sum lunch with my husband (and baby) together with my dad and grandmother. Food came fast and quality was good. We had a good time really like the separated booth seating where we could have some privacy. Bill included 10% service charge I didn't quite like it when the server lady was standing RIGHT THERE watching me sign the bill while paying. A little privacy would be appreciated. But i guess that might be just cultural...

There are newer reviews for Lei Garden - International Finance Centre

Reviewed November 11, 2013

The Michelin Guide is a bit of a joke in Hong Kong. The locals dismiss it (unfairly in my view) as a bunchy of foreigners who don't understand Cantonese food. And many foreigners used to its high standards in judging European restaurants in Europe are aghast at its low standards in awarding stars to some of the places it does.

This is another example of where the stars are given out to a restaurant which simply doesn't come close to a One Star restaurant in London, Paris or Berlin. The food here is good - as it is in many Cantonese restaurants in Hong Kong. It's why I have tended to try a Lei Garden about once a year. But the service at the Shatin branch on this occasion was truly awful. What happened this time was that they simply forgot most of the main dishes that we ordered. We did think it was a bit strange that they served the rice soup just after the appetisers - we may be foreigners but we know that rice is usually served at the end in China - but we took that to be because it was soup, not rice. The service was very slow anyway so it was only after finishing the very big bowl of soup (three bowls each, we were hungry) and waiting half an hour that we realized there was a problem. They simply had lost our order.

The key to bad service is not whether you make mistakes though, but how you recover from them. There was no apology. The waitress actually remembered what we had ordered and told us that one of the dishes was now sold out. We settled for ordering two of the dishes again which eventually came. There was no word from the manager to apologize. Nothing complimentary was offered and at the end service was charged as usual. At the end they even laughed at us as we left (laughing at foreigners is undoubtedly part of the faux "authenticity" of the place). I suppose they thought it was our fault for not having suspected something when the rice came early and asked. Clearly forgetting to serve a customer's entire main course order is the customer's fault in the eyes of this restaurant. Disgusting attitudes from all the staff we encountered.

I was too angry to complain - I am pretty sure that this restaurant doesn't give two hoots what its customers think anyway. You get the impression that Lei Garden staff would equate complaining with losing face. It will be the last time I go to a Lei Garden. There are many other excellent restaurants in Hong Kong with good service to choose instead. It will also be the last time I buy a copy of the Hong Kong Michelin guide.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We looked forward to trying out this elegant new location in the Times Square mall in the Wanchai district This is part of a large restaurant chain. How shocked we were to see a full page of Shark Fin dishes upon opening the menu. Had we known, we would not even have considered going there. Shame on them.

1  Thank Susie H
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Lei Garden used to be one of my favorite cantonese restaurants in Hong Kong. No longer. Food has gone downhill in a big way. The roast duck is too tough, the fish is overcooked and while service is still OK it does not justify its premium price point anymore.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Without fail, every time i'm in HK i'll make it a point to pay this restaurant a visit. They never cease to surprise and awe me with their daily special dishes.

Service is very good, the quality of the food is excellent from simple vegetables and garlic to the thinnest wanton skins. Must have the roast goose and pork belly (siew yoke), much better than the over-hyped Yung Kee. The steamed egg white with seafood, is also a favourite.

This review is for the IFC branch. I've tried the Wan Chai branch once as the IFC one was fully booked, however, that was just mediocre, would no recommend going there.