“Extremely Edible English Fish & Chips in HK”
Review of chippy - CLOSED

chippy
Neighborhood: Central
Neighborhood: Central
Reviewed September 20, 2012

First, let me admit that I like thick brown chips (can't stand the French Fry type of thin crispy ones from McDonald's) and I don't like thick batter. The fish and chips at the chippy were just to my liking - hot, golden brown and not too oily. The service was charming and friendly. I liked it so much there that I was able to take back 12 other people and then we sampled most things on the menu. I think the majority enjoyed the food and most will be back for more.
You should be prepared though for the simple decor - this is not an up market place but more like a hole in the wall with reasonable prices for Central.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Yes, the food here is absolutely terrible. I have never eaten a worse 'home made' pie in my life. The pie crust is basically powdery flour wrapped around a filling, the pie itself was deflated, cream in colour as opposed to golden brown that it should have been and was so repelling to look at that it was a mission taking the first bite. The first bite was also my last bite.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

I consider myself a pretty demanding foody, and have lived in the UK so have had fish and chips of different quality - just to clarify before I write this scathing review.

The place is a dump. I question the hygiene. There is no ventilation so you walk out of there and you are coated with a thin layer of oil. It stays on your clothes and people in the office will turn around. So add dry cleaning to the cost of the meal.

I am not sure how often the oil is changed, but the result was greasy fish and chips. It feels like you are getting dangerously close to your first heart attack after the first chip. You finish the meal and you swear you will eat salad for the rest of the week. It's not even comfort food, it's just not right.

Maybe this reminds people of home. It's a shame that it doesn't deliver on the promise and it gives more ammunition to british food bashers.

2  Thank geophilhk
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Great fish and chips in my opinion. Fries were lean, the fish wasn't battered too heavily with oil.

Reviewed August 10, 2011

We stopped in, I'm no expert on UK Fish and Chips, but these were great! The service was very friendly and we really enjoyed it. This is a fast food stop for some "home food" during our vacation.