“Good tasting Italian food for a chain”

Pizza Express Soho Square
Ranked #924 of 9,139 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central
Reviewed May 18, 2014

It is not difficult to miss Pizza Express. As you ride up the mid level escalator you will undoubtedly smell the aroma of pizzas baking in the oven. As you pass you will see diners on 3 separate floors enjoying their meal. So it was not surprising that we tried Pizza Express one night during our Hong Kong trip. Pizza Express is really a chain, but do not expect any mass produced slop. the dishes are as authentic as a family owned Italian restaurant. Our party of 3 were all satisfied with our meal. The dough balls were tasty with the dipping sauces. There is a plethora of pizza choices, a bit on the thin side, and healthy choice with a hole in the middle and filled with a salad. That was different. There is a large selection of fancy salads, pastas, calzones and of course dessert, which we did not order. Pasta cooked just right, portions are not that big but enough to satisfy you especially with an appetizer. Full beverage selection, beer, wine, soft drinks, water and coffees. Will try again on next visit.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Hello!

So I'd gone to Pizza Express with a couple of friends for dinner. I actually love their Cannelloni. So it was a Sunday evening, and I did not have a reservation. When I went up to the manager, and said that I was looking for a table for three people, he snapped at me saying "Wait for a bit! My colleague will come in some time". So I'm standing with my friends at the entrance of Pizza Express, pissed off at the way in which the manager talked.

Then his "colleague" came in. I told her that I was looking for a table for three people. She asked me to wait for a minute. I waited. Three other groups of people that came in after me got seated. I was bugged and asked her what in the world was happening. She said that she forgot about me totally. No apologies from her side.

Finally, when we got a table, we waited for ten minutes before our order was taken. That too, I had to call the waiter to take my order. He seemed completely disinterested. We ordered three dishes and a couple of drinks. We were not offered any water or given any preference. Some random waitress, just walked up to our table and put down three glasses of water. And this was after our drinks had been served. The first two dishes came in on time. But the third one never did. We waited for ten mins. Fifteen. Twenty. Then we called up on a waiter and asked for the third dish. He did not reply, went up to the kitchen, came back, and said "it'll take five more mins". Then, while i'm still pouring the last bits of sauce to my plate, some random waiter comes up and takes the dish away. I mean who in the world lifts a dish off a table while a person is still serving, and there's plenty of food left in it???????

I mean I've been to so many pizza express outlets all around the world and I've never experienced such pathetic service. If any of you guys go to this Pizza Express, be ready for a pathetic experience as far as the wait staff are concerned. The food shall probably do the magic if you've got any patience left.

pizzaexpresshk, General Manager at Pizza Express Soho Square, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Dear anigupta,

Thank you for your feedback - we really appreciate the detailed feedback - it will help us improve. I am sorry about the problems that you experienced - the service that you describe does not meet our standards - please accept our sincere apologies. In order to further investigate this incident please can you let me know the date and time of your visit - you can contact us at comments@pizzaexpress.com.hk

Yours sincerely,

The PizzaExpress Team.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Pretty bad service. Waiters made mistakes three times and it took 30 min for my partners plate to come out after mine.

pizzaexpresshk, Manager at Pizza Express Soho Square, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Dear Matthew S,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear of the problems that you encountered during your visit we pride ourselves on the quality of our service so it is very frustrating to hear of the issues that you describe. I would like to look into this further - please could you let me know the time and date of your visit - I can be contacted via email at negative@pizzaexpress.com.hk.

Yours sincerely,

The PizzaExpress Team

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Two weeks ago our son collapsed at Pizza Express Soho due to a serious heart condition. Thanks to the alertness and emergency training of the staff, and alerting a nurse, the right measures were taken promptly, and an ambulance was called which took him to Queen Mary Hospital for emergency heart treatment.
While recovering at the hospital, our son has enjoyed take away meals from Pizza Express, so obviously the food is greatly appreciated as well 

1  Thank Michael-18254
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This was the 1st night of my first trip to Hong Kong and to Pizza Express. I was on a solo walking tour of Central on Christmas Eve and in search of food. While on the Worlds Longest escalator (Mid-level) I smelled a wonderful aroma. So I followed my nose and discovered this palate pleasing place! They had a full Vegetarian menu and I was ready to eat. However, there was a bit of a hiccup with my 1st attempt to order. My wait was almost 20 min and my time to return to my hotel by bus was drawing near, so I had to leave... still hungry. The manager was apologetic and kind enough to invite me back for a meal on the house! I returned the next day, and the next day and the next! I had the opportunity to have the dining experience of all 3 levels. I love the food, the staff, the music and the atmosphere. The service for me was bar none!! They were very attentive, engaging and professional. I had pasta rather than pizza. The Farfalle ai Funghi was very tasty. And the warm bun shaped garlic bread was deliciously comforting. On the next day, the Melanzane Parmigiana (Eggplant) was even more satisfying as the tomato sauce, my favorite, was hearty and flavorful. I also enjoyed a nice robust Australian red wine that made for a soothing finish to my evening. The location is in a very trendy, lively area and very easy to get to by any form of transportation. A great place for people watching. Friday night can be busy so call ahead for a reservation if you plan to go. When I return I will try the pizza!

2  Thank SeoulJetSetter