“You can't go wrong”

Ole Spanish Restaurant & Wine Bar
Ranked #351 of 7,917 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: European, Spanish, Wine Bar
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Central
Description: OPENED SINCE 1998 IN HONG KONG AS THE BRAIN-CHILD OF VETERAN RESTAURATEUR, MR. CARMELO LOPEZ. A NATIVE SPANISH HIMSELF, HE CAME TO ASIA IN THE 70'S BUT WAS STILL NOSTALGICALLY ATTACHED TO THE RICHNESS AND EXQUISITE TASTE OF THE CUISINE OF HIS MOTHERLAND. OLE WAS CREATED FROM THIS CRAVE FOR AUTHENTICITY! JUST EXPERIENCE THE GENUINE TOUCH OF SPAIN THE MOMENT YOU STEP INSIDE THE RESTAURANT: THE LEMON YELLOW PLASTERED WALLS AND GLAZED TERRACOTTA TILES OF THE MEDITERRANEAN, THE LIGHTING FIXTURE AND THE DECORATIVE POTTERIES DIRECTLY FLOWN FROM SPAIN. ALL THESE ELEMENTS COMBINED TO RECREATE A UNIQUE AND COZY ATMOSPHERE THAT GOES HAND IN HAND FOR THE ENJOYMENT ONE OF THE WORLD'S FINEST CUISINES. THE EXTENSIVE VARIETY OF DELICACIES, PERFECT WITH THE SPANISH WINES, SANGRIA OR CHILLED BEERS. LIVE GUITAR MUSIC THROUGHOUT THE EVENING GRACEFULLY EXHILARATES A RELAXING AND ENJOYABLE MOOD.
Baltimore, Maryland
“You can't go wrong”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

I went with a large group and we ordered entrees and tapas. To tell the truth, the tapas was enough but the entrees were excellent. The lamb was excellent and we split the entree. The sangria was great and it was just a very fine experience. It's a bit pricey, but after the meal the owner sent over an after dinner cordial. The exterior (it's in the bottom of a ? Best Western Hotel, I think) is not nice, but the interior is very comfortable and inviting. Service is excellent. Some of the entrees are best divided by two and they elegantly split them for you at the table. Enjoy!

Visited November 2012
2 Thank Babzkk

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong, China
“The food is good but the ambiance is a little too quiet”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

This spanish restaurant is good. I recommend the paella which was good and their wine selection is OK.
You can find many really good spanish dishes and tapas. The taste is what you expect!
The price is also tasty ;-) but it worth it, how many times have we paid too much for bad food ?
Finally, the only thing that i regret is the lack of ambiance and i wish we could feel a litlle bite more the spanish vibe. Of they play the guitar but that doesn't make every thing.
I will come back for sure, to try other dishes!

“Great service and food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

I visited Ole on a Saturday evening for a birthday event – with around 40 of us taking up around half the restaurant.

The place itself is very nice, with a Mediterranean feel to it, and we were greeted with very tasty sangria and a couple of “Spanish” guitarist/singers, who played a mix of Latin classics and some Beatles and more modern songs throughout the evening. Very nice.

As a vegetarian visiting a Spanish (read meaty!) restaurant, I was slightly nervous about what would be served up to me, even though we’d informed the restaurant beforehand. But I had no need to be concerned. For each of the starters/tapas served to the “normal” diners, I had my own equivalent, including garlic mushrooms and spinach/ricotta rolls. For main course, I followed the advice of my server (who I think was the manager) and chose, from 3 options, the stuffed eggplant, which was both huge and delicious. Dessert was a very tasty birthday cake. I felt that they really went out of their way to take care of my preferences, which is slightly unusual in restaurants.

I can’t directly comment on the restaurant from a normal dining perspective, but I would infer from the level of service we received during the party, that it should be very good. I certainly look forward to going back there again.

Singapore, Singapore
“One of the best Spanish culinary experience outside Spain”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

Known Ole for many years.
Standards are top: Service, Food, Wines, Ambiance
Extremely good value for money as food is simply delicious and authentic.
Excellent range of reasonably priced spanish wines
Owner Carmelo is a pleasure to be with and is a great singer.
A must while in Hong Kong

1 Thank Jet18
Hong Kong, China
“Pricey but very good indeed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

It's not easy to find, this place, and you'll need a cold drink after walking up the hill to get here, but it's worth the effort.

Staff were welcome and helpful. I arrived with a lady having not first made a reservation and the place was full. At first we were offered a seat at the bar next to the restaurant's garrulous owner, which would have been okay, but quickly they found us a table which we could have - we were told - providing we were done by 9pm. Not unreasonable, so we accepted.

We ate only tapas, and it was good. Highlights were the anchovies (my favourite), the grilled peppers with a fantastic sauce (it was a special, and it was so good we ordered it again), and the cuttlefish. Wine was excellent but expensive at HK$110/glass for the decent stuff. Service was attentive but not overly so, and a couple of complimentary shots of liquor finished our meal very nicely.

The bill was slightly eye-watering. This is not a cheap place to eat.

The atmosphere was great: very vibrant and lively, and there was an unobtrusive guitar band providing the background music.

Now, at no point do you feel like you're in Spain. This is obviously a HK restaurant, and anyone looking for Spanish informality will be disappointed. However, I reckon this is the best Spanish restaurant in HK and I will certainly be back for more. I might make a reservation first, next time.

• Visited September 2012