“Was not Wowed me...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Bo Innovation
Ranked #73 of 7,786 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Wan Chai / Causeway Bay
Singapore, Singapore
“Was not Wowed me...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

Tables are placed closely with many tables in a small area. Toilet is reachable outside. We are seated beside the service table which should be allocated somewhere away from the Dining area, considering this is a 3 Michelin star restaurants. Improvments need to be made to the dining space.

There isn't much to order from the lunch menu. Which means, that even if I want to come back again to try other dishes as the menu is not as extensive as I would like it to be. Well, in a way its good as the chef can perfect the dishes as it becomes a routine.

Service feels amateurish. The menu brief given by the waiters was not so good as they did not explain the additional signature dishes that we could order with set lunch. And we felt like he was rushing to complete all the explanation. The service was not as attentive as I would expect like from all the other 3 Michelin stars in Hong Kong or other michelin restaurants overseas. Service was a true disappointment!

Bo Innovation has just been awarded 3 Michelin stars for 2014 and I have been wanting to try for a long time. My friend also mentioned that she likes this place. So I made a lunch booking. The lunch is much better value for money than dinners but I think its only available on weekdays. Correct me if I am wrong!

Besides, Alvin Leung seems like a pretty demanding chef on himself and his staff so it cant possibly go that wrong.

The food is truly fusion. What I like about the food is that its tasty. And he uses different spices, a mix of some south east asian herbs with european herbs combined with Cantonese food.

But to be considered a restaurant that is worth a detour, its good, dont get me wrong but its nothing spectacular and did not knock my socks off.

And some items need improvement, like the har gow skin is pretty sticky and a bit dry, nevertheless its very tasty.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney
“A Worthy Culinary Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

My daughter had raved about Bo Innovation and insisted on taking me there. We had the Chef's Table Menu. Together with the Amuse Bouche, we had a total of 16 interesting courses. This included the molecular "xiao long bao" which other reviewers have mentioned in this forum. Did not look like your regular xiao long bao but certainly tasted like one.

I enjoyed the hairy crab souffle with aged chinkiang vinegar followed by "ginger tea". The "ginger tea" was actually a ginger foam directed into liquid nitrogen. It was made in front of us and served as a lolly - slightly hard and cold on the outside and warm and soft on the inside. Magical! The White Truffle dish consisted of a yummy duck egg yolk, "cheong fun" and yak milk cheese - one of our favourites for the evening. 2 other outstanding dishes for me were the Red Fish and also the Saga-Gyu beef, both cooked to perfection with a "melt-in-your-mouth" sensation.

The service was great. The waiters were very attentive, gave clear explanation of each dish and changed many plates and cutlery during the course of the evening including the decorative pieces on the table which were there to enhance our experience. For example, the second dish was Caviar on top of a quail egg wrapped in taro. It was shaped like a bird's nest and served perched on top of a silver tree.

My daughter had ordered an extra dessert strongly recommended by her friend. Called "Sex on the Beach", it consisted of fine granules from biscuits depicting the sand. There was hot chilli oil under the "sand" suggesting heat and passion. On top of the sand, was a pink jelly like soft lolly
which is supposed to be a used condom! Quite an interesting experience with this dessert although we would not order it again.

Our bill with wine and service charge of 10% was approximately AUD 380 per head. Pricey but definitely worth the culinary experience. Recommend that you try it at least once.

• Visited November 2013
Hong Kong, China
“Blows innovation”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

Went last year with colleagues; we had the chefs table menu with wine pairing. Did not enjoy the food at all, it was chemical city, gimmicky for the sake of being gimmicky, not to enhance the natural flavours of the food. Had the (dis)pleasure of having the one and only demon chef(whatever that means), Alvin Leung tell us all night how great and creative he is. Definitley a salesman trying to sell what his culinary skills cannot cover. His mouth writing a cheque his a** cannot cash.

Service was ok.

Bill was insane for the portions and quality (lack of), not to meniton the pedestiran atmosphere. Defiintely taking themselves too seriously and need to lighten up.

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Singapore, Singapore
1,039 restaurant reviews
“Bo didn't quite blow me away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Went there for lunch as it was close to my hotel Indigo and of course, because it has 2 michelin stars

Was empty when i arrived at 1215pm ( it was full when i left at 115). They had a set lunch at HKD288, but many items have HKD50-150 supplements. Decided on 2 starters and a main, and a champagne which they recommended

So the starters were their takes on traditional HK food like cheong fun (rice rolls) and har gao (shrimp dumplings). Basically they put black truffle on it and charge you HKD50 each. They were good, but not over the moon

My main of stuffed pigeon was a tad undercooked i feel

The dessert was a chocolate mousse which was ok

Overall this is probably 3.5 and i may return for dinner to get a better feel

Cambridge
“A great foodie experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

Astounding culinary tricks all beautifully presented in a an atmospheric setting outdoors. Not usually a fan of tasting menus but having just arrived earlier that day from UK the taste sensations kept me more than just awake. Clearly top end and, thankfully, the casualness not what unusual for a 2* rstaurant - but a wow.

• Visited September 2013