“A menu full of passion but not served with passion”
Review of Bo Innovation

Bo Innovation
Ranked #116 of 8,958 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Wan Chai / Causeway Bay
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I was reading an article from Interiors Magazine way back 2010 where they featured Art in Food and for some unknown reason I clipped this article and just stashed it in my hard drive. When I flew to Hong Kong last month with my husband who was from Hong Kong I suddenly remember this photo of a chef with a lot of tatoos and search the internet for the Demon Chef. When we found it we decided to try to book a reservation and hope we get one. And we did! The venue was not of course the best venue in HK but something I expected when we saw the address. The price was 1 michelin star price. We began to be skeptical if the food will be 1 michelin grade but was absolutely surprise at the details poured on the food cooking and presentation. One thing we did appreciate is the heart and soul of the food was still Chinese or Hong Kong cuisine. Love the fact that the suckling pig has no fat and every cut had a crunchy skin. I love salted eggs and have always thought the only way to eat that was with congee or mixed in tomato and mango salsa. I never thought it will taste so great in Langoutine! The Tea and Coffee was a real surprise. The temperature use of hot and cold - it was a unique sensation to the tastebud. But to be able to incorporate unique cooking techniques was just awesome. The service was totally trained for michelin because I remember dropping one of the buns on the floor and I felt so embarassed for being a "clutz" but the waiter did not show any expression and just took a tissue from the back bar and discretely picked up the bun and threw it out, then he nodded at me as if saying "I have your back covered".

The sad part...
The servers in suites explaining the dishes where just going through the motion and to them it was like this is just something I have to do. Their English was not too good so talking fast did not help. Good thing my husband speaks the Cantonese language and had them re-explain everything in Cantonese so we can better understand them. And am glad we ask because it made us appreciate the food better.

If the servers have the same passion as how the food was made it would have been PERFECT!

Socialize
I believe Chef/ Restaurant owner need to be able to socialize with the people dining in his restaurant. It is like host and guest as well a bit like show business. We were totally satisfied with our wine and dinner (except for dessert which is because we are not fond of Chinese cuisine dessert) and as we paid the tab we asked one of the servers in suite if we can have a photo with the chef because we can see him in the kitchen - am sure he was busy but we got a "no" for an answer which is politely said. Or maybe he does come out of the kitchen at all or he does but we were just not at the right day and time.

There are newer reviews for Bo Innovation

Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

I ahve been to many Michelin Restaurants and have felt barely satisfied each time. ( including Noma) I think what it comes down to is what u deem as the experience. For me a self taught chef who pushes the linits and gets extreme with his food is cool. Respect. The food is fab everytime and everytime i stare at his innovative ways of sending gastronomy to new limits. You know you are appreciating food that has been not just well thought out on taste but presentation. The hosts are well trained to explain the course and the wines.. it goes without saying are perfect pairing. Our 9 year old daughter also apreciates the presentation and different tastes of each course. ;) Never too early to train the open mind to food!

1  Thank huandersens
Reviewed October 3, 2012

In theory it's a five star place, certainly judging by the menu and glitz, but it doesn't quite live up to it in real life.

Location is a little odd in that you're overlooking the back of buildings and air con units (I like a good out the way place, but this just doesn't feel right). Service, not quite sure how to explain it - a mixture between aloof, subservient and disinterested? eg there are three menus, we decided on merit of the dishes that we wanted the 10 course meal, our waiter had been telling us he thought we should have the 13, when we ordered the ten he said "Ok. No, that's fine, you can have the 10". The tone was very much "What? You didn't do as I said?"

Food was nice, absolutely, but no more. Some quite clever 'innovations' certainly, but the innovation aside, the tastes are nothing that aren't being served in good restaurants all over the world. I star? Yeah ok, maybe, just, on a good day.

What did surprise us was the explanation of the food. It's one of those places of course where every single dish and drink is explained in the most minute detail. Nice, good to know what you're eating. However we literally couldn't understand one word that was said. For context, this is an international restaurant in an international city that is one of the most expensive in it's city, where almost literally everyone speaks perfect English, and in a restaurant where only Westerners were eating. I would expect that if they're going to explain the meal in the first place, it should be done so it can be understood. Please don't get me wrong, I speak about 3 words in Cantonese, but I wouldn't attempt to explain anything to a Cantonese person.

2  Thank Dan&Zoi
Reviewed September 15, 2012

The restaurant only had 3 sets of dinner menu available. The tasting menu would be the cheapest at about HKD 1500. However, 3 out of the 5 choice of mains require you to pay additional money; chicken extra HKD 200, beef extra HKD 550. They don't have an ala carte menu fyi.

The food was tasty and fun. But the chicken that I ordered came with a mushroom risotto that I felt was undercooked. And I really should have complained there and then but I was just too caught up with something else then.

Also, there was supposed to be an 8 treasure dim sum at the end of the meal for dessert. These were tiny, bite sized macaroons, truffle, etc. We were served 2 sets of the 8 desserts to be shared among 5 people. But in the menu, it was not written that the dim sums were meant to be shared or any of that sort. I just feel that they should explain this clearly to the customers from the very beginning or at least leave a note in the menu about this. We were stuffed anyway at the end of it.

Overall, this is a great experience but I would rather go elsewhere for that price.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Probably the most innovative Chinese cuisine in Hong Kong. The difference between that and most other Chinese restaurants in HK is like the difference between dining at Thomas Keller's French Laundry compared with having a meal at Outback Steakhouse.

2  Thank Flora C