“Authentic Cantonese cuisine”

Neighborhood: Wan Chai / Causeway Bay
california
“Authentic Cantonese cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

A local favorite; call ahead for reservation. We (2) dropped in at ~11:30am, and have to share a table without having to wait. Avoid local lunch hour (1pm-2pm).

Visited March 2012
2 Thank t0pgun

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
“Ruined by its reputation”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

This used to be a restaurant we loved to patronised. But it has become complacent and the standard no longer is what it was.

2 Thank Wing L
europe
“Good?!?!?! Are u kidding me?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

My friend, a local expat, told us that this is like one of the places to go for a great meal.

This is located at Hip Sang Building along Hennessy Road. For a first timer, you would probably miss the entrance totally.

This place is supposedly very famous with good, authentic cantonese cuisine. We ordered the popular dishes like lotus pancake patties, sweet and sour pork and stir-fried beef with mushroom.

The food came like 5 mins after we ordered! That was fast! And it tasted horrible!

MSG laden food. Exactly like those american chinese fast food joints! It was bad! Never would I ever expect to eat such low quality food in HKG. Extremely overrated. After losing mhy appetite. I looked around and saw many still enjoying their meal with a glassof wine. Maybe its just me.

Would I go back again? No :) For all the effort, to have such lousy food, I don't think so.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank happybutnotsosolucky
Sydney
“Inconsistent”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

I had four meals at this restaurant within three weeks and three of them were enjoyable. The last time my family had dinner there, the meal was below par. Not just 'not as good' but the quality of the food and the cooking was poor. That was mighty disappointing. Also the waiter tried to tell us that the salt and pepper squid was eaten before it crisps up and made us stop eating it to see - of course it did not improve. Another dish we enjoyed previously was also badly cooked, soggy instead of crisp.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank OutOfSydney
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“great classic cantonese food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2011

For home cooked classic cantonese food, Sang Kee at Wanchai is highly recommended. I had a great meal here recently with a group of friends. Food here are classic non frills type such as sweet and sour pork, fried minced pork patties, salted chicken ect. My favourite is the crab cooked with plum sauce,which i think is extremely good. Definitely on my list of favourite restaurant in HK.
Reservation strongly recommended, as it is packed at dinner time.

Sang Kee Seafood Restaurant