“Enjoy a snack and a beer at the bar!”

Dan Ryan's Chicago Grill
Ranked #2,059 of 10,174 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Admiralty
Reviewed March 24, 2013

If you're looking for a tasty burger (but nothing rarer than medium), with extra toppings if you like, this is a good place to go. The menu warns that they serve 'American size portions' - sixteen years ago they really were much bigger. The burger comes with a small side of coleslaw, a pickle and fries. Sadly ours were cold. We were also sitting in the back of the restaurant which has very little atmosphere. The restaurant is divided into three main areas. The front, where the bar is, for casual dining, snacks, drinks, etc with small tables, stools and TVs showing sports, has the most atmosphere. The main restaurant can accommodate larger parties, and the back is made up of a series of booths. We were given a basket of mixed warm rolls including muffins and butter when we arrived which were excellent. Unfortunately, the red wine I ordered was too warm, but my husband was happy with his cold beer. We decided to go back on another day for brunch, and my eggs benedict with smoked salmon and my husband's corned beef hash and fried egg (not over easy as he had requested) were good, and the potatoes were hot this time. Again, not big portions. Prices were reasonable for what we got, with wines by the glass tending to be more on the high side, however, this is to be expected in Hong Kong.

This is a great place for kids, who get balloons on special occasions (around St Patrick's Day when we were there), and thoroughly enjoy the variety of foods they can eat with their fingers - nachos with cheese, chicken wings, potato skins with sour cream, etc. It's also ideal for singles who are looking for a snack and a beer at the bar, with a little sports entertainment thrown in. There is also a good selection of English-language magazines and newspapers to read whilst you're dining/drinking.

The service was pretty good, although there is a sort of hierarchy there which made it a little inefficient at times.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

This was the first restaurant I dined in when I came to HK in 1995. Over the years I and my family have dined here many many times and generally found it to be good however they have now refurbished the place and it has lost it's charm and the ambience has gone. I dined here with my son on 16Mar13 to check it out and found the service appalling considering the place was empty and the food mediocre. How can a Philly Steak Sandwich be tough as shoe leather ? Ah we'll will have to find somewhere else. Such a pity as I had fond memories of the old place. Wonder what they have done to their restaurant in Tsimshatsui.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

In Admiralty shopping centre and just by the Star Ferry Terminal in Harbour City, up the escalator. A bit pricey, but large portions with good service. I think it is fair to say this is an American styled restaurant.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

We went to dinner at Dan Ryan's in Hong Kong and has a very pleasant time. There are countless good restaurants in HK, and Dan Ryan's is among the best. Very good variety, very good food and excellent service. We had a large group which can sometimes be a problem but this restaurant covered us with amazing service. That made the meal a wonderful experience for all of us. Thank you Dan Ryan's!!

Reviewed January 26, 2013

There isn't much positive to say about the food here and it is impossible to believe that people come here to eat. What you can do is to drink a few beers and share a lot of greasy, unhealthy bar snacks with friends. Some of the tastier ones are spicy chicken wings and 'nachos' that have little resemblance to what one can find back in the States. The burgers are large.