After always having the reliable Din Tai Fung (TST) as our weekly meal out with the kids (2 & 13) we thought we would try something different & had a hankering for some tapas.
Knutsford Tce is quite a tourist-y area but there also seems to be lots of locals & expats like us. Having a young child with us we tend to head out for an early meal & arrived just after 6pm & were given a table straight away as they were still quiet at this time. They gave us menus & left us for a while - actually a bit too long as my husband desperately wanted a beer but the wait staff here seem to have a miraculous ability to look busy but ignore the tables at the same time. Eventually drink orders were made with a trainee - this took a while! Oh well, we all have to learn!
Again it was difficult to try & place our meal orders but once we grabbed 'Hugo' (manager?) it was very efficiently done & the tapas started arriving within 5 minutes.
I should be clear on this point, there was nothing wrong with the food but it was quite average & most looked & tasted as if it had been partially cooked then reheated. There was nothing that I could not have made at home. We had:
* meatballs (I think they were pork - bland - the 2 yr old liked them!) with tomato sauce
* mushrooms in garlic (huge serving & tasty)
* bread with tomato, onion & anchovies (as nearly always in HK - cheap tasteless bread)
* ham & cheese croquettes (mainly chicken though - kids liked it but strange!)
* crispy potato with spicy tomato sauce (ok - but again, potatoes tasted reheated)
* potato & onion with serrano ham (disappointing as there were literally 3 very thin, small strips of ham on top...)
* last we had the suckling pig (not tapas but my daughter ordered this; this was really tasty & had yummy crisp skin; chopped in the cantonese way so beware of bones) served with the reheated potato chunks & aioli.
There was nothing wrong with this place but I just wouldn't go back. The meal came to about $1000 including 2 beers, liqueur & a couple of soft drinks. They're about to start renovations on Monday so will be closed until early March '12