“Simplicity at its best”

Neighborhood: Wan Chai / Causeway Bay
Singapore, Singapore
“Simplicity at its best”
Reviewed November 7, 2011

My first impression is clean, simple and family-style decor. There were not many selections o the handwritten menu. We ordered seafood soup, garden salads and grilled squid as appertisers, followed by a main of red shrimp linguine. The food was exceptional, simple yet very delicious. We simply enjoy our lunch. I will recommend this restaurant if you want to enjoy traditional italian family-style cuisines. However, if you are looking for a romantic ambience, this is not the place. Be prepare to spend HK$1000 per person though.

• Indonesian first
“yup. great food, bad service, too expensive. i'll be back.”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Probably the best bowl of pasta outside of Italy i've had in years. The room is an exact facsimile of every mid sized regional Italian town's best restaurant in the 80s - complete with proudly displayed fridge in the middle of the tables (look we can afford one).
the head waiter is knowledgeable if you engage him, but brusque. the rest of the team are just grimacing through to the end of their shift. i'm sure with a little more organisation (ever heard of zoning?) it could be better, but why spoil the fun.
the food is a revelation - fresh, peppery rocket for the salad, good quality bresaola (hard to find in hk) and the pasta - well just try and find better in hk. you won't.
hilariously overpriced, do bring your own - the wine list is an everest amongst a himalayan range of ambitious pricing. 300 hkd for pasta pomodoro. the boldness of it all.

loved every minute. will be back.

1 Thank elchk
London, United Kingdom
“Good food but seriously overpriced”
Reviewed July 7, 2011

I have eaten at lots of restaurants in Europe and honestly believe that they are already very expensive.But this is because it is Europe and usually are in places with atmosphere and character.However Da Domenico really takes the cake.We had 2 pasta and a sea bass to share.Coupled with a bottle of wine,our bill came up to be nearly HKD 3600!
The service and ambience is acceptable but definitely not worth the price we were paying

• Visited July 2011
Hong Kong, China
“Ouch”
Reviewed December 5, 2010

How can Da Domenico get away with serving a slab of meat on a plate with nothing else to garnish it , and still charge top restaurant prices, makes me wonder whether diners in HK have more money than sense.

The average cost of a meal here is so much more than other italian restaurants in HK, for food that is average at best.

There are way better options at these prices.

1 Thank geophilhk
Paris
“WAY over-priced + Unauthentic Italian. Terrible Service.”
Reviewed January 30, 2010

Went here on recent trip to HK. DD was billed as an authentic experience If you want good Italian food. I lived in Italy for a long time, so I think I know what that means. I was warned DD was expensive, but good food often is, and was looking forward to the experience. What we received was beyond diappointing, it was insulting. The pasta sauces are sweetened (probabaly to appeal to the local palate which prefers this), and the noodles were overcooked. The bucatini Amatriciana had barely any bacon / pancetta and were sweet! Horrendous. You'd get better at a school cafeteria.

We ordered a salad, just to have on the side (Salad was USD 25 so we figured it was large). The waiter asked if this was for 2, which I interpreted a "to share?" What we received was a small plate of greens, which I was shocked cost USD 25. When the bill came they had actually billed us for 2 portions. So I paid USD 50 for some greens and small tomatoes. It was not a bad salad, but seriously. I cant believe they keep a straight face serving this.

DD proves that you can run a restaurant in HK based on style over substance. The Owner has done a great job making the local nouveaux riches feel like they are getting a real piece of Rome. Which they are, if you think of the many tourist traps Rome has. Clearly you can get away with anything with good marketing in HK (he somehow got a word spread that many "tycoons" go there.) But I hear he is Italian, and he should be ashamed. DD is an insult to Italian cuisine. I am embarassed to admit I went there and paid what I did for such mediocrity.

3 Thank Teresias