“Food excellent, price absolutely ridiculous.”

Japanese Restaurant KENJO
Ranked #262 of 7,948 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Tsim Sha Tsui
“Food excellent, price absolutely ridiculous.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2011

Have eaten in top Japenese restaurants for decades but nothing prepares you for one plate of sushi (12 pieces) and some sake for hkd 2000

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
New York
“Overrated, Overpriced, Mediocre Sushi”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2010

This place is totally overpriced and the sushi is just mediocre.

For 8 pieces of sashimi and 4 pieces of sushi, I got a bill for HK$1000

The toro (fatty tuna) was veiny.

The fish quality was above average but not at these prices. There wasn't even that much variety. They had the usual fish, nothing special.
It was totally not worth it.
The other places I go to have just as good fish at half the price.

This place is just overrated and you can find much better value and good fish at other places.

I wouldn't go back again

Providence, RI
“The classic suhi experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2010

This wonderful hole-in-the-wall is a bit of Tokyo smack in the middle of HK. I have eaten there 20 times and it has never let me down. Sure, it's expensive - that really goes with the territory when it comes to high-end Japan-style sushi. When I read the many reviews on Tripadvisor I get the feeling that some of the reviewers are playing the classic one-upsmanship game of "my secret sushi joint is better than yours." Ok, everybody is entitled to a favorite place, but I feel that any objective review must give props to Kenjo.

Hong Kong
“Over priced and food poisoning twice”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2009

Have been to this restaurant twice now. Both times we had food poisoning. We eat out almost every day and Japanese is one of our favorite cuisine, and we don't understand why Kenjo seems to have such good reviews when there are so many better, cheaper, and more authentic Japanese restaurants in Hong Kong.

On our recent visit to Kenjo (after we recovered psychologically from our first visit a year ago), we went all out and ordered the best stuff on the menu. The bill was over 1000 HKD per person. The food was good but not spectacular. When walking out of the restaurant, my wife and I said to each other that now that we have tried it twice we are not going to give it a third chance. Then we had food poisoning again after we got home. That certainly firmed up our resolve never to go back again.

I saw some comments here about Kenjo being as good as any restaurant in Japan. We lived for several months in Tokyo and are quite sure Kenjo is not even close. One minor example is that the fishy smell at Kenjo when you walk in. That smell would make a restaurant owner in Japan weep with shame.

I heard Kenjo is one of the oldest Japanese restaurants in Hong Kong. Don't know whether that is true. If it is, it may explain some of the undeserved good reviews. For what it is worth, we find Nadaman (if you want a formal environment) at the two Shangri-las and Shun Sai Tomo (a few steps from Kenjo) to offer a more better dining experience, not to mention no food poisoning so far after a dozen visits.

This is our first review on Tripadvisor. We were just so puzzled by Kenjo's good reviews and thought our views might be useful to the folks out there trying to find a good Japanese restaurants in Hong Kong.

5 Thank B_Shao
Hong Kong
“Best Japanese in Hong Kong”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2009

This is the best Japanese restaurant in Hong Kong for sushi (Zagat rates top for food score). I have been coming to the restaurant for years and it truely has the freshiest fish! The key is to go for lunch when they have much cheaper lunch set options (i.e. all sets are below HK$200). This looks like a traditional Tokyo sushi restaurant in Tokyo so try and sit at the sushi counter and enjoy watching your meal being made. Also busy on weekend lunch so you should book reservation ahead of time.

1 Thank HKFoodie