“Bad food, bad service.”

Nha Trang Vietnamese Restaurant (Wellington)
Ranked #642 of 9,446 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Based on a variety of dishes ordered by the four people in our group, the owners and cooks have clearly never eaten actual Vietnamese food. Though I suppose they tried to do what they could.

Pho was served without the requisite hoisin and chili sauces. We might have forgiven that as an oversight -- though quite the egregious one, but what was unforgivable was that it took three separate requests to three different servers before they finally brought them, more than 20 minutes later.

Curried beef brisket was tender enough, but lacking in flavor.

Spring rolls were served without dipping sauce.

About the only thing there that was good was the lime soda.

1  Thank Kent F

Reviewed April 30, 2014

I come here very often and I have tried a few things on the menu. Yes the starters are probably more expensive than the mains but they are good portions and tasty so get to share. My family all have their favourites but none of us have bad taste ;)
Finally, these are remember all my opinions and personal tastes. This means it will only include the things I HAVE PERSONALLY TRIED. I will try to make everything as comprehensive as possible because I don't see the reason of leaving a review with nothing in it.

The things we normally order (i.e. We recommend) are:

STARTERS
- $80 Grilled beef wrapped in pandanas leaf - The family/my sister's favourite! They recently downsized from 6 to 5 pieces with the prices remaining the same but they still contain tasty, oozingly moist and fragrant 4.5cm cubes of deliciousness when you unwrap them. Again I appreciate it's quite pricey but a well worth treat :)

- $98 Deep fried soft shell crab - My favourite. I'm a sucker for soft shell crab and they give three crabs (maybe 12 cm including leg width with 5cm diameter) with this portion which is halved. Plenty for all though sometimes, I think it's a little indulgent but we always order it.

- $60 pork and shrimp spring rolls - My father's favourite. Good and they give LOADS of mint, coriander, lettuce etc. to wrap your spring roll.

- $65 Vietnamese steamed rice ravioli - My mother's favourite. Not bad (means it's nice btw) but in my opinion the other stuff is better ;)

MEALS (see note below for 'mains')
-$52 Pho with thin slices of beef (medium rare) - My mother loves her beef noodle soup. She likes only the well done bits so she steeps her pieces in the soup for them to cook themselves. Big bowl that will definitely fill the hungry and more.

- $78 Curried beef brisket stew - My sister's boyfriend's favourite. This is mild but very well flavoured. Served with their excellent garlic baguettes slices (or rice if you choose). A joy to eat.

- $52 cold vermicelli bowl with stir-fried lemongrass beef - I love this dish with any of the toppings (besides prawns, see below). I normally get this one or the grilled version of either beef or pork. Though to warn you, this is a COLD meal and I drench this in the sauce which they provide in bottles (I have no idea what that sauce is called but it's the fish sauce mix one with flakes of red in it and is a mild sweet flavour)

Things NOT to order
- $78 Pan-seared stuffed squid. - Dry and not very nice tasting

- $58 soft shell crab rolls - don't beat about the bush and try get the cheaper option. There is barely any crab in comparison and tbh, the filling is just rice flour sheets and cucumber.

- $70 broken rice platter - I don't know whether this is really authentic tasting or what in Vietnam but I really did not enjoy this dish. It's just fried rice, not very nice. Go anywhere else in Hong Kong to eat tasty fried rice and order something else

- $76 barbecued cha hanoi - it's quite nice but the beef wrapped in the leaves mentioned above is better. Go on, spoil yourself and pay the $4HKD more to get more meat. This I think only gives you three skewers. it's probably 9x4cm but the lemongrass stick is quite wide.

The $48 sandwiches are if you want something different. Quite pleasing when you want something fresh and light without paying for an extortionately overpriced salad, which can be surprisingly hard in HK. However, when I go there, I tend to gorge. These are better for a light lunch. My sister actually thoroughly enjoys these, especially all the coriander she puts in there herself

In terms of mains, I tend to avoid them. I only remember trying the:

$126 braised pork belly in coconut juice but I have no idea how that tasted. Obviously wasn't the most mind blowing of tastes

$98 fried fillet of sole with tomato salsa - to be honest, I only think I've tried this dish as we never ordered it and they gave us this instead of my usual soft shell crab order. It was okay, don't get me wrong as most of the stuff is nice, here but didn't quite cut the mustard compared to the ones above.

-$80 sizzling saigon crepe - I don't really remember this dish very well besides having a general feeling of well that wasn't the best.

- $58 Hanoi tomato and crab noodle soup - our most recent try due to a mishearing of our pho order. Didn't wow me. Reminded me of that dish of tomato with egg in it that I always have in China. Have the latter instead if you want a home-y, warm dish.

Note. For some reason, their prawns are really insipid.

GENERAL POINTS
- Yes the queue is stupidly long. We wait it out though (and stare at the people who bring all their obnoxious kids who play with their food as they take up 7 seats in the cramped seating area)

- They don't really listen to your order. It's busy and they have no idea what the dish names are. Make sure you point it out with your fingers as some of the dishes (mostly disappointing ones) have been tried due to them mishearing our order.

- They give a little pot with chili etc. which I find personally way too hot. It's great though and they give you the pot of sweet fish sauce mix thing which I can't remember the name of right now but it's quintessential vietnamese.

- The one in central, you can't book but the new branches apparently you can.

Hopefully this was useful and I didn't miss anything out! :)

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Was super eager to try some Vietnamese food in Hong Kong. Saw huge lines coming from Nha Trang, and of course needed to try from there. I should have left it at that, as the noodles were pretty tasteless, and the pork stuffed squid was inedible. I was honestly scared that I would become sick if I ate it, so we got the check and ran. Had the soft shelled crab rolls too, and while they were edible, they were just average (soggy, oily)...and not delicate as soft crab shell should be.... I honestly WISH I had a better experience here as everyone else seemed to be enjoying their time. After leaving I had a great dinner down the street.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

If you want to eat Vietnamese food in Hong Kong, Nha Trang is the best place : it's delicious, fast and not expensive. I like their rolls, salads and bo bun!

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Love the softness of the soft shelled crabs, the fried spring roll is very good also. service is also not bad.