“You have to see it to believe it!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hong Kong
Holiday Guest House Chongqing Mansion
Ranked #69 of 259 Hong Kong B&B and Inns
Wigan, England, United Kingdom
“You have to see it to believe it!!!”
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

People who have classed this as anything above "terrible" clearly need their heads testing!!

I wouldn't let Osama Bin Laden stay here. It's horrific!! Another let down by booking.com!!

There are grotty "rabbit runs" for corridors, moss growing up the walls, blood on the floor. Honestly, I couldn't even begin to try and put in writing the horrendous state of this place.

We walked in, went up to the room, then got the hell out of there!!

Anyone who stays here and has good reviews I would love to meet you and shake your hand!!

Good luck and god be with you!!!

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Ashley B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Thai first
Stanford, California, United States
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Great location, very clean rooms, felt very secure. I ended up staying here because my first lodging didn't work out.

My room had two exhaust fans, an AC, and a ceiling fan.

My room had tile floors and walls which also kept the room cool.

Even in the middle of an incredibly warm and humid summer, my room was quite cool.

I also had a TV, solid WiFi (strong enough to stream video or Skype), plenty of international outlets, and a mini-fridge.

Bathroom is standard Hong Kong guesthouse style with the shower above the toilet. However, water drained very quickly and the bathroom was well-ventilated. It had lots of hooks and hangers, which I used to drip-dry my clothes.

Bed was decent and the duvet was nice.

• Stayed July 2013
Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Holiday Guest House is a great place to stay in the very unique Chungking Mansions. Located in E block, it is a well kept, clean and organized guest house with reasonable rates. We stayed there a total of 14 days and it quickly became our miniature home away from home. The rooms are small (which is to be expected - this is Hong Kong), but with enough room to move about and rest comfortably. The beds weren't luxurious but were nice enough that I never complained about having a bad sleep (my wife and I both slept on one small bed and used the other to store our suitcases). Most rooms have a small washroom, television, table, mirror, A/C and wifi internet access. Near the lobby you'll find a hot water machine, fridge, iron.

The owners were always around to help out if we had any questions and our overall impression of Holiday Guest House is excellent. We'll certainly stay there again.

Good:
- Location in E block means very short wait times to get into the elevator (unlike A block for example).
- Clean rooms! They cleaned the room everyday, with fresh bedding, towels, garbage bag, etc.
- We always felt safe here. The main door is coded and solid and there was always a person at the desk.
- On our last day, they let us keep our bags in the lobby while we took a quick walk around Kowloon Park and surrounding areas before going to the airport.

Bad:
Nothing.

Stayed at CK Mansions on 3 separate trips and nothing much has changed from visit to visit. It is still the crazy place it's always been. It has received a recent exterior renovation which has done away with the former gritty charm it once had! That said, the interior continues to contain many interesting characters and dozens of small businesses including food stalls, cell phone shops, currency exchange (some of the best rates in HK) and guest houses. To anyone who hasn't been, and is considering it; just try it out! Don't be afraid. It is a fun experience and really isn't as frightening as many make it out to be. I think anyone - whether on a budget or not, should give it a try. At least walk around the corridors and experience a bit of this unique landmark in Kowloon.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank canadian_photog
Osaka, Japan
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Chungking Mansions is a one big fire hazard/trap and with very little means of escape. There are hundreds of unregulated businesses operating within the apartments and there are thousands of people inside this building at any one time, From a fire prevention point of view, safety measures are seriously lacking and ignored. If a fire started and took hold I could not imagine how one could easily escape the building.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Jake H

Travelers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Vienna, Austria
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for a night. Unlike many other guest houses in chungking mansions, this place has a nice reception area which seems modern and clean. At first, the guy at the reception showed us a room with two seperate beds and wanted 600HKD. I had checked their homepage before and saw that the price for a double-bed room was 350HKD, but it was weekend and I had no reservation. It was still too expensive for us and we wanted a double-bed, so we left at first, but then he suddenly offered us another room which he could give us for 350.

The corridor was apparently being renovated and the room itself was a bit shabby compared to what we saw before, but it was quite big and had two double beds, so we decided to stay. We could deposit our stuff at the reception while the room was cleaned.

Overall we had a good stay, bed was clean and comfortable, the guy at the reception and the cleaning staff seemed quite nice and helpful and the atmosphere was very quiet and calm at night. Would have given a better rating if we could have stayed in one of the rooms in the main corridor for that price.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank momon_vince
World Traveller
Reviewed May 17, 2011

The ChungKing Mansions is a massive complex, with a bit of a bad reputation. The street level floor was quite intimidating, but once you get to Holiday Guesthouse it is all good. This guesthouse is in the E block - and was the only block that we did not see lines for the elevator. Do make sure you get the correct elevator though - each block has two - one serves even numbered floors and one serves odd.

We arrived at Holiday Guesthouse after a long flight, and were cheerily greeted by Hari. He was great, always asking if things were okay and greeting us with a big smile.

The room itself is small -- but this is Hong Kong and that is life here. We knew in advance that rooms were compact, so we booked a two-double bed room. Suposedly good for four people... but it was cozy enough with just my husband and I. Before arriving we thought we would sleep in one and put bags on the other, but once we got there we discovered they were pretty small so it was one person per bed. Still, they were comfortable with nice warm duvets. The room also had a small table and a chair so our clothes went there and our backpacks went under the bed. It was totally fine - just remember this is a budget hotel and you get what you pay for.

The best thing about our room was how clean and quiet it was. It was spotless. The sheets lily white, and the floor sparkling. We stayed six nights, so told Hari he did not need to clean every night, but mid way through the sheets were changed and everything cleaned. Plus every day we were given new towels, which was really nice. We slept great here and never had outside noise to deal with. The only bothersome noise was made by other guests that would slam doors or talk loudly in the hall. But the guesthouse can not control that.

We had good internet access in our room and were able to skype home which was nice. There was also a TV. Their was a communal computer at the end of a hall, plus a "kitchen" area that had a fridge and hot water machine. Our shower was over the toilet (very commen in Asia) and had its own hot water control. Just remember to turn it on about half an hour before you shower so enough hot water heats up.

We really have no complaints about Holiday Guesthouse at all. And we would stay there again. The Chungking Mansions are in a great location - really at the heart of the city's action and in easy walking distance to the metro. Most of the buildings in the area have been done up so there are super expensive hotels and shops all around. But the ChungKing Mansion is a throw back to "the projects". The main floor is a bit scary at night, but fine during the day. If I was a single woman traveller, I don't think I would feel comfortable entering after dark, but with my husband (who lived in New York) I was fine.

The only complaint was the overall cost of Hong Kong. My husband and I are backpacking around the world, and HK is expensive. This double room cost us 400 HK dollars (US$ 50) per night, which is actually a great price, especially since we were there over Christmas. Other budget places in the ChungKing Mansions wanted US $80 to 120 for Christmas and three-star hotels wanted US $200 to 300 for the holidays. And they seemed to be getting that as many places booked out. So since the going rate of Hong Kong is quite high, the price at Holiday Guesthouse is reasonable for the area.

Thanks Hari for a great stay!!

Room Tip: Don't judge the guesthouse by the first floor