Tripadvisor
Hong Kong
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews tin hau boutique hotel le labo minimalist design causeway bay interesting hotel victoria park full length mirror cool hotel electric road premier room marble bathroom mini bar reception area great shower local eateries mins walk away
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I had an amazing and outstanding stay at Tuve. Staff was incredibly helpful and friendly. Location was great and convenient. My room was comfortable and spacious with complimentary one-night mini bar. Worth staying and will definitely return again!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

the tuve is one of the most gorgeous hotels I've stayed in. I loved the sleek modern entrance with hanging red tassels that brush your shoulders as you make your way down an incense scented hallway. the reception glows with star-like lights. the rooms are spare, all polished concrete. the marble bathroom is luxe with a rainy day shower and clean white towels. just my taste, and the spa-like calm so appreciated after a week in crazy Bangkok.

sadly, that ended at 8:22 am when we were shaken out of bed by the sound of a jackhammer on steroids. we waited for it to end, but it didn't. it thumped so loud my husband and I couldn't hear ourselves speak let alone think, so we got dressed and headed to the front desk where I had to scream, "hey, what's going on," to the girl at the front desk who could still barely hear me over the din. after a five minute back and forth, she basically told me the hotel didn't know there would be construction, sorry, and "this is Hong Kong."

without missing a beat, I said, "so it was just our bad luck that today was the first day of construction noise, it didn't happen yesterday?" as she looked like a deer caught in the headlights. I pushed and she finally admitted it had been going on the past few days. side note: when we left the hotel for the day, we walked past the construction site and the work had clearly been going on for weeks, probably months.

so, a hotel for which I had prepaid a reservation in advance knew there was deafening construction noise that would start well before 9am and go on all day until 6pm, let me check in and didn't say a word, didn't give me a chance to stay somewhere else, just thought it was ok to subject a guest to that?

I immediately contacted Expedia and told them I'd expect my first night comped and would like to be moved to another hotel. they came back to me within an hour and agreed to a refund for the first night and told me it would be processed within 8 days.

when we returned to the hotel around 5pm, the noise, and let me be clear, I'm not talking about noise off in the distance, I'm talking about jackhammering by a giant machine that made the whole building shake, that made conversation or sleep or relaxation impossible, was still rocking the hotel. as I got into the elevator, the manager, clearly having heard from Expedia, chased after me, followed me to my room and offered to move me to another room farther from the construction (please note, we were on the 22nd floor already). so, we packed up our suitcases and moved 9 floors up where we could still hear the noise, but it was not quite as deafening. she also agreed to refund our money if we preferred to leave, but I pointed out a last minute hotel can cost double or triple a prepaid rate and if that was the case, I'd expect her to cover the difference and make the arrangements. her response was unclear, but it was a moot point as we'd decided to give it the new room a go.

when we arrived in the new room, there was a xeroxed note on the bed explaining there would be construction noise from 9am to 6pm and two bottles of pear juice, an odd gift for our inconvenience. we could still hear he pounding, but rather than feeling like it was in our laps, it sounded off in the distance and we agreed to stay the night and make up our mind in the morning if we were to remain for our final night or move to another hotel.

all good. until, on the subway home from a day on lanna island, I got a message from Expedia. oops, the hotel was not refunding that first painful night, because, well, they didn't want to.

so, let me backtrack here. when searching for hotels for my three week trip in Asia, I had considered several places in Tokyo, but changed my mind when reading the description where they described ongoing construction in the area. what? the hotel disclosed up front there might be construction noise? how civil. there was another Hong Kong hotel I'd reserved, but cancelled after they sent an email telling me there would be significant construction in their lobby and it might impact my stay. you mean the hotel understood a guest on vacation might not want to deal with being shaken out of bed by construction noise?

I get it. business in Hong Kong right now is tough. with the protests, there are few tourists and everyone I meet tells me how hard it has been on their wallets. but the only thing a hotel has to offer a guest is a pleasant stay. and quite frankly, not telling me as I'm checking in that there is construction that will severely impact my comfort and ability to enjoy myself just reeks of greed. and then to have them lie and say they didn't know when the very same thing had been going on for days is just dishonest.

I am a small business owner and my business has def been impacted by the hostile climate the current US administration has created--the flow of foreign, high spending tourists has slowed to a trickle and I feel it every day. but my financial problems are not the problems of my customers. and, neither are the financial problems of the tuve, mine. before I checked in, I should have been notified about the construction and been allowed to decide for myself if it was tolerable.

moving us to a bigger room was a nice gesture, but the nicest gesture of all would have been to inform me (and all their guests) that their stay would be majorly impacted by factors out of the hotel's control and to offer a refund, help finding another hotel or some other creative solution. interestingly, as we were moving out of our original room, they were showing a new guest to the room right next door. the hotel was literally shaking. it was impossible to have a normal conversation and yet they were still welcoming guests as if nothing was happening. absurd.

this whole thing makes me sad. the tuve is a lovely lovely property. but for whatever reason, they don't understand a hotel stay is more than a bed and a bathroom, that guests want to feel cared for when they are far from home and at that, the tuve failed massively.

in conclusion, the manager tells me the construction noise will continue for at least two weeks, maybe more. but since there is still a giant hole in the ground at the construction site, I'd imagine it will be much longer than that. if you are hell bent on staying here, I'd double check on what's happening before I booked. (when I made my booking, there was really no option for cancellable reservations. I now understand why.)

Room tip: until the construction next door ends, at another hotel
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The hotel doesn’t disappoint us again. It’s always great to see familiar staff who knows you well. We loved the food recommendations and they quite a lot of choices near by which are very nice.

The room has some new features. I am happy that they are still maintaining a good standard of cleanliness and services.

We are did some hiking close to the Hotel. Highly recommended if you haven’t planned your itinerary.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2020

Tuve is a true design hotel experience. I use the word experience instead of 'stay' very consciously as 'experiencing' Tuve is a genuine opportunity to live in art - a minimalist space brimming with naturalistic philosophy and meditation.

Located in Hong Kong's quieter, more authentically-Cantonese Tin Hau neighbourhood, Tuve acts as a beacon of calm in what has turned into a restless city. If you're visiting during the protests, the incredibly friendly staff are on-hand to give you to-the-minute updates, ensuring your plans don't coincide with any of the planned civic volatility.

Beyond route planning, knowledgeable receptionists are very happy to give you recommendations on the best eats in the area. Ask for directions to visit the nearby egg waffle shop for breakfast or a lunchtime snack, washed down with a coffee from local roastery NOC Coffee Co. For lunch or dinner, visit the wallet-friendly Michelin-starred joints of Sister Wah for curried brisket or Cheung Hing Kee for crispy pan-fried soup dumplings.

The design aesthetic of Tuve beautifully plays with the notion of light, dark, life and peaceful nothingness. The dramatic lobby is sparsely lit by a grated wall pierced with white light in stark contrast to the gleaming all-white corridors and neutral concrete rooms.

In the premier suit you'll find an incredibly comfy and spacious king-sized bed, fitted with thick, gloriously soft sheets and pillows. Floor-to-ceiling windows flood the space with sunlight and offer fantastic views across Hong Kong bay. A cute puzzle box made of pine, houses delicious gourmet snacks, Antipodes water and a miniature bottle of Martin Millers gin. The bathroom is fitted to a spa-like standard and the palatial rain shower has got to be one of the biggest ever constructed.

Tuve is perfect for couples, solo travellers and all fans of art and design. I would not hesitate to stay again as my memories of the space are some of my fondest of the city.

Room tip: Ask for a room facing Hong Kong bay from unparalleled views across the city.
Date of stay: December 2019
MarinaT2398, Communications Manager at TUVE, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2020

Dear mel_omotg,

Thank you very much for highlighting the gems at TUVE and having taken your time to share your memorable experience with other viewers on TripAdvisor.

We were also very pleased to learn about your recent stay was a high satisfying one and you would definitely return to stay with us again. Please feel free to book direct on our hotel website or contact our very friendly and helpful services team to confirm your future visit.

Once again, thank you for choosing TUVE and we look forward to being your host in Hong Kong again soon.

Best regards,

Marina

Reviewed January 9, 2020

The city is very busy and it’s lucky that we booked this hotel...the neighbourhood is very laidback. No breakfast in the hotel...the room is very clean and tidy....shower was fantastic. There is no central heater in the room but a portable one is stored underneath the tv. We felt like walking into a secret path when we entered the hotel. The lobby music is fabulous. We had a good time in Hong Kong and TUVE.

Trip type: Traveled with family

Dear PetersonG67,

Thank you for your wonderful review.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel as well as the impeccable service provided by our service team. We are meticulous about every detail in our service in hopes of creating unique and memorable stays for our guests.

Best regards,