“Very Bad service”

Hong Kong Tai Wan Hotel
Ranked #130 of 159 Specialty Lodging in Hong Kong
Reviewed March 10, 2014

The Chinese manager is horrible. His English is horrible but that is not the worst part. He treats you terrible. If you go the the reception area late at night he don't even open the curtain to talk to you. First he says they are closed but since we had an important thing to say he did talk to me but did not even open the curtain. Very rude. Then they promise me they would have a room for me during Chinese new years without pre-paying it. The day before the Chinese new years they kicked me out of my room and said the only room available was USD$214. And very very small. Do not believe any promises because they don't really speak English the just say yes yes to anything you say. I recommend that you pay in advance for the whole time you are going to be there if it is around busy holidays. But in the end it is not worth the rastle because there are so many other hotels that are very cheap in the same building and will have much better customer service. BTW keep you receipt for you deposit money in this hotel because they will not give your money back without it. Other hotels they just will keep track of it so you will be sure to get your money back in the end.

Room Tip: look at the room before you pay. If you have big luggage choose one that has a high bed so all your...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hong Kong Tai Wan Hotel

Reviewed February 12, 2014

I have never stayed in such a terrible place. The woman on reception has zero skills in politeness, kindness and handling customers. She (the main staff member I dealt with) only cares about one thing, taking money from people and doesn't give a damn about their stay or comfort.
Amongst a number of other things that were offensive and totally dissatisfactory such as their attitude, they couldn't even spare one extra blanket, its winter with no heater in the room and only one tiny blanket on the bed, I was freezing.

This 'hostel' is a disgrace, please don't stay here. I wish I'd read the reviews before I made the mistake of staying here and I hope to save someone else the awful experience.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank catherine a
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Twh tai wan hotel, first of all "confirmed" it's not a hotel, "obviously" not a hostel and definitely it's a dump-yard.

In the reception : one old lady may be 55yrs wearing spectacles (chinese / taiwan) sooo rude and having -0% experience in handling customers. She talks as if you are refugees coming for shelter. I had paid usd.451/- for 6.nights with my family (wife & 2kids) and upon arrival she immediately asked for money first....the time you make the payment, she starts treat you like, she is doing obligation to to by giving a dump yard. Really you will not believe, you see the rooms it's hardly 6ftx6ft for four of us (i can also accept in one way that the accommodation in hong kong is very tough) but the way this mad lady speaks, as if you are on charity home.

I don't know how the management is managing with this kind of staff at the main reception (it seems, the management is weak). Just because of this lady the hostel / dump yard is loosing customers.

As per their policy, we are suppose to pay hkd.100/- as refundable deposit and the same will be refunded one day before you check-out. I deposited the same and since i was checking out at 03:00hrs i reached the counter one day before at 20:00hrs and the old lady reacted "oh refund....go...go (waving hands) no refund now...why take money now...come in the morning" as if she is a lender and i am asking favor and she passes comment in local language and laughing. I was like fed-up and collected my refund at 3am by waiting for almost 25mins at the reception.

On my arrival, one more family was there with confirmed voucher, for triple room and they had a small kid (may be 3-4yrs), this old mad lady was fighting for additional hkd.100/- for the baby per night and the argument was on and on ... Finally they had to pay and stay. This is not the hotelier policy at all, but she is like (really crap).

Room services : we stayed for 6 nights and the lady says the bed sheet / pillow cover will be changed once in 4days.!!!!! We had to stay since already paid and no other option but to accept.

This old lady should be thrown out of hong kong immediately, but for god sake not in the direction of my country (india).

People come on holiday to enjoy and have fun, but in the very beginning this kind of discrepancy happens then they loose confidence on other too and the whole tour gets spoiled just because of such unethical people.

Take some action on this. I have given my review and experience and i will never ever recommend this place to anybody.

Thanks

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank DUNYATRAVELSERVICE
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I already knew about Chungking Mansions so I didn't bother to research this particular hostel first.

I do not rate anywhere one star without good reason as I believe there is always two sides to a story. Here there is not, they are only interested in your money.

I had already prepaid for one night through Wotif.com so I not wanting to throw away money, I put up with it.

Check in was at a Bank Counter type window. After waiting 5 minutes, I was met by a Neanderthal type Gentlemen who quite clearly the social graces of a hamster who spoke monosyllabic English and snatched my booking voucher, said 'no room here' and looked at me like I was from out of space.

I then politely pointed out, that this is the hostel listed on the receipt and that I had already paid Wotif for a room a few days earlier. He then said 'not in my list'. Sensing I was getting nowhere, I proceded to call Wotif to investigate and he then called someone who actually was more affable and found my reservation.

I had booked a Standard En-Suite room, I was given a room the size of a cupboard with a toilet cum shower opposite. I then mentioned that this is not what I had booked. She said we are full and this is all we can give you. Being already tired and frustrated, I just thought okay, leave it.

A few moments later, she knocked at my door and asked for a 100HKD deposit for the key. Okay, I have no problem with that and was given a hastily written illegible receipt.

The bed was like sleeping on a bag of spanners, totally useless and it should have been thrown away long since.

Check out resulted in returning to the Bank Counter and this time I had the pleasure of Neanderthal Woman behind a closed curtain who stuck he arm out saying 'Yes?'. I said I would like to check out and gave her the receipt. For what seemed like an eternity of examination of the receipt she threw the money out of the hole and that was the end of my experience here.

I'm very well traveled but this place even shocked me. Don't bother booking and I don't say that lightly.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank hz88
Reviewed October 30, 2013

The location is very accessible. The elevator and the reception area - a bit scary. When we reached there we heard 3 people are shouting (1 owner and 2 Filipino guests). They had problem with the payment but I didn't know the whole story, good thing that we booked online(Agoda). We arrived at the the hotel early and they did not allowed us for early check-in. We just left our baggage outside the reception area and we paid HKD10/bag (not sure with the price). The room is small and the CR is just ok. If I will go back to Hong Kong i will not stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I went to stay with my mum and aunt back in August 2012. I booked via Asiarooms.com, and paid for 1 room with 4 single beds OR 2 double beds. I went and get scammed. It was a small room with 2 single beds. We were upset and surprised, and asked why? The staffs (a 30+ yrs old lady & 50+ yrs old man) replied that "3 of you are so petit, and you all can fit into 2 beds, no problem. " OMG! I asked to get 1 more room or 1 extra bed for free, as it was different from online photos and initial booking. They refused.
My mum and aunt did not wanted to cause a scene there, and told me to bear with it.
Before my trip, I emailed them about hair dryer. They replied that there will be a hair dryer.
When I asked for it, they asked me to pay a refundable deposit. 0_0|||||
I asked how come they did not mentioned this to me in all previous emails? They kept quiet, and told me off by saying "You want? then You pay? anyway, it is refundable to you. "
In 1 of the nights, there was a power trip and failure.
Overall, this was the worst place to stay, and they all scammed tourists badly especially online.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We are currently backpacking Asia and this 'hotel' was our worst experience in terms of accommodation.

We booked a double bedroom, our 'bedroom' was the computer room, fitted with desks, computer equipment and junk under our specially made bunk beds. I say specially made, as no manufacture would make beds this small, small enough to fit to half size mattresses on each bunk. Also the air con unit was two inches above the top bunk, no physical space in top bunk so one of us had to sleep on the floor.

Staff were unhelpful, the man that appears to be in charge is aggressive, almost every customer seemed to have a run in with him. I was awoken after midnight by an argument outside my room between staff and customers.

I would not recommend this hotel, even to those on a tight budget.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple