“Very Very Bad, really dissapointed”

Hong Kong Tai Wan Hotel
Ranked #133 of 160 Specialty Lodging in Hong Kong
England
“Very Very Bad, really dissapointed”
Reviewed April 4, 2008

Booked my trip through hostels,com, Li's hostel looked really good for the price, check out the pictures on the website, it looks really quite nice, i was really amazed when i arrived, it was through a dodgy indoor market, up a lift (no visible stair access) which we waited in a line for EVERY time for about 10 minutes, when finally getting the key to our room and arrived it was shockingly bad, the room was small, fair play you dont expect much for the price but it was so small you could hardly move, that didnt bother me as much as the cleanliness, it was so dirty, hairs on the bed, no sheets, and stains on the mattress, ended up leaving after 5 nights stay didnt sleep from all the noise from surrounding rooms, definately wouldn't recommend it to lone women travellers, lots of dodgy blokes trying to sell drugs on the doors to the market and overall not pleasant at all!! real shame because hong kong is gorgeous and apart from the hostels in our block it was a fantastic trip and we ended up staying in a beautiful hotel for the last 2 nights (the stanford in kowloon) it was like a 5* hotel, fantastic service, spotlessly clean, slightly out of the way but easy access to everywhere.

• Liked — location was fantastic right in the heart of it all, such a shame for everything else
  • Disliked — pretty much everything!! cant believe they are still in business
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank loislois

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
cuzco
Reviewed March 15, 2008

Please do not make the same mistake me and my wife made...DO NOT STAY IN THIS PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!
The owner tried to charge us extra, we didnt wanne pay and then he threathened us with an iron stick!!!!!!!!
We left the place and went to the police but the said they couldnt do anything about it ...

Anton, Klaartje
Netherlands

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank annie7676

Travelers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Manitoba
Reviewed February 1, 2008

My wife and I just spent a week in Hong Kong. We started out at the Li's Hostel at Block A, 3rd Floor, Chungking Mansions. This place is disgusting - gross. This is by far the worst place I've stayed in my life and I'm embarrassed to have put my wife through hell we went through there. We ended up forfeiting our "pre-paid" hotel costs as we simply could not stay there any longer.

*Dirty awkward entry into "hotel area" (using these words lightly here)
* Arrived at 1:30am and no one to check us in and we had even pre-booked and arranged our arrival at that time
*hotel "manager" was a slime. Snake oil salesman who tried to double our rate.
*Hotel Manager insisted we pay a $100USD fee to be able to use a bathroom on the same floor as the hotel room or face going up 8 floors to use the "shared" one up there
*Ceiling was falling down and held together in some parts with packing tape.
*Walls/windows covered with old burlap bags and shopping bags
*could hear rats/rodents in ceiling at night
*major mold in bathroom and shower did not drain.
*the bed made you itch at night and gave my wife severe rash on her back that she still has one week later.
DO NOT STAY AT any hostel located at Chungking Mansions,
No36-44 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui,
Kowloon, Hong Kong booked through hostelhk.com

Stayed January 2008
4 Thank grandbeachguy
sgp
Reviewed December 28, 2007

I booked there because I saw that the prices were reasonable and that the photos were damn nice. So I booked for a few nights there. When I first reached the recpetionist, they showed me the room that they had prepared for me, but still other traveller's luggage were still there, I almost vomit ! Then, they asked me if I wanted to upgrade my room to a luxurious one, I said yes of course, but when they showed me the room, it was worst then the normal rooms, the beds were so small. I almost fainted. It totally ruined my whole trip. The bunk beds looked as though they were about to collapse anytime. The toilets were so small and the rooms was so cramped. The window grills had tissue papers all over them. YUCK. Refrigerators, HairDryers, FreeInternet, Bicycle, blah blah blah.. think of it .. a hostel so good ? FreeInternet ?? Poey ar !! Like Real .. No refrigerators inside the rooms !! I think the air-con doesn't even work at all .. I decided not to stay and refunded my money immediately . I went looking for a hotel(3star) immediately for 2 hours !! I could do so many things within the 2 hours ! DO NOT BELIEVE WHAT THE WEBSITE SAYS EXCEPT FOR TRAVELLERS' COMMENTS. I was tricked by the hostel . The room looked liked ghosts had haunted it before or whatsoever. JUST DO NOT BOOK THIS HOSTEL . BELIEVE ME .. I HAVE THE EXPERIENCES.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
6 Thank r0cker
United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2007

Stay away from this hotel. The Oriental Pearl is 1 of 6 names for the Tai Wan hotel in Block A, 3rd Floor of the Cheung King Mansions, Nathan Road. The propriotor markets this slumb with the following names all leading to the same address.

Tai Wan Hotel (HK)
Oriental Pearl Hotel
Tsim Sha Tsui Hostel
Downtown Backpackers
Li's Hostel
Hong Kong Star Hotel

On arrival I requested to see the room before handing over my cash, this was met with some reluctance but he showed me the room. A quick glance around and all seemed ok (for the rate). After having paid, the manager then said that I would have to either pay more for this room or move to a smaller room. We did not move rooms or pay any extra but this took an hour of arguing.

On closer inspection the room was very dirty and the bathroom had clearly not been cleaned since the last guests. There was hair in the bath, the toilet was discusting and the floor had never been cleaned. The beds were thankfully clean and fairly comfortable but only a sheet was provided, I had to argue with the manager to get blankets.

The 'shower' was just a shower attachment, no hook or screen was provided so showers were taken kneeling down in the bath.

All in all this hotel should be avoided unless you can put up with the stress of dealing with the owner.

On the plus side the location in Kowloon was great.

Stayed November 2007
4 Thank Darv
Macau, China
Reviewed November 27, 2007

This hotel is the worst place I have ever stayed in my entire life. It doesn't even deserve the definition 'hotel'. The word that would best describe it is 'dump'.
It is located in a building which is full of cheap shops which are mainly owned by Indians and Arabians and you are constantly approached by creepy people trying to sell you fake watches and drugs as you make your way to the elevators. Some of them also pretend that it is them you have booked a room with and try to rip you off. It is not exactly the place where you feel safe.
On the floor where the room was located we saw (and smelled) that someone had urinated next to the elevators.
The rooms are tiny, dirty (the bedsheets have probably never been washed) and full of cockroaches and other creatures with more than 4 legs.
When we talked to the owner about the parasites in the room he found excuses like 'some other travelers must have brought these insects in their suitcases' and so on.
We left the hotel sooner than expected because we couldn't stay in this unsafe, unhygienic place for the entire time of our trip to Hong Kong.
The owner of the 'hotel' only refunded us one night and also made more than sure that he would get really mad if we shared our experience of the 'Oriental Pearl Hotel' with any other travelers coming to Hong Kong.
My suggestion is to stay away from this place and any other hotel/hostel located in this building (Chung King mansion) because it is likely that they are all run by the same owner.

• Liked — N/A
  • Disliked — Cleanliness, behavior of owner towards guests, ...... the list goes on
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank nikkizinha
Berkshire
Reviewed September 14, 2007

Firstly Hotel Tai Wan is not a hotel, it is a hostel / guest house with a choice of single / shared rooms.

Internet Booking
------------------------

After looking at the pictures displayed on the internet I booked a standard single room via an online hotel broker for 6 nights for a price of around £14.45.

The rooms appeared to be basic but clean, and as I was intending only to spend a small amount of time in the hotel I thought that I could save some money on the accomodation and put it into other areas of the trip. There were no negative reviews on the hotel booking web site, so I thought that I would take a chance, go ahead and book it.

After all, it couldnt be that bad.....could it???

Location
-----------
Hotel Tai Wan is located within a large block of retail and residential units called Chung King Mansions based on Nathan Road in Kowloon. Now, I use term `residential` rather loosely because the only occupants who would choose to live here are the rats and cockroaches which seem to roam freely along the refuse ridden corridors.

Chung King Mansion
-------------------
Basically, Chung King Mansions is the epicentre of drugs, crime & prostitution in Kowloon & HongKong.
It`s a huge warren of cheap shops, budget accomodation (doss houses) and restaurants.

The sheer volume of people crammed into this place,
poor air conditioning and sanitary conditions all combine to make this one of the most sqaulid places I have ever encountered. There is also an intense aroma of sickly sweet incense which overwhelms you, presumably to mask the underlying smell of sweat, food and human excrement.

ANYTHING can be obtained here ranging from hashish / fake rolex (being sold by the asian grifters) on the Chung King Mansion steps, through to street prostitutes.....its all here

Hotel Tai Wan
--------------------
When arriving at "Hotel Tai Wan" I was obviously rather concerned by my choice of accomodation and asked to see the room before paying for it.

The old lady on reception told me to sit down and wait. I sat down for 20 minutes, which was a rather unwelcome delay after 16 hours of travel. Unable to wait any longer, I asked to see any room so I could get a taste of what I was letting my self in for.

She showed me a double room on the left of the reception. It looked like a prison cell, completely decked out in claret red ceramic tiles
(presumably to mask the blood spatters).

At the far end of the room there were two barred windows, boarded up with what looked to be
road signs. The mattresseses were thin and stained with some human fluid. The toilet had not been cleaned and there was urine from the previous occupants, still in toilet bowl.

The grand finale was when she demonstrated the "Air Conditioning" which consequently bellowed plumes of white smoke....

At that point I realised that there are several things could happen.

I`m either going to be

a) Robbed
b) Raped
c) Murdered
d) Asphyxiated by the aircon
e) Any combination of the above

I thought I`m going to GTF out of there, right now.

The owner insisted that I paid $300 hk as a "cancellation fee" and I didnt argue.

Advice
------------
Just dont do it.

• Liked — The cat which lives in the hostel, probably to keep down the rodent population
  • Disliked — Prostitutes hanging out on the stairs
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo