“TERRIBLE !!!!”

Ranked #129 of 157 Specialty Lodging in Hong Kong
Amphoe Muang Lamphun, Lamphun, Thailand
“TERRIBLE !!!!”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I was there on 29th October, I went to Hongkong with my colleague. When we check-in, young guy staff asked 200 HKD for key deposit from us. He gave a receipt with written down 200 HKD there. When We check-out, old guy staff(he told us that young guy will come to work late). He erased 200 HKD in a receipt and wrote down 100 HKD for key deposit.
Then we asked him about the wrong price there, he was so rude, impolite and very aggressive.
He talked with us like a badly, like we are cheating with him.
Moreover, we had the argument each other and he said rude with us. that was so bad with the tourists.
Finally, we can't do anything, so we accept money back just 100 HKD because we had no time to wait for money.

Before we leave, The old guy staff said very rude with us again
I promise that I will never come to this hotel ever.
If he does like this with the tourists, he will not success in his life EVER!

Room Tip: Don't go there, please choose other choices!!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank Jirattikan L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Puebla, Mexico
Reviewed October 19, 2012

WORST HOSTEL EVER...!!!... the websites look totally different to the room they give you, off course we all know this is not a place where you can expect a big and nice room but the pictures are a total lie, the staff went inside our room and scream at us, offended us because we ask to pay 1/4 of the rest of our bill later because we had no more cash. PLEASE STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE.... we are from Mexico.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank maribelco

Travelers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Baguio
Reviewed October 18, 2012

The old staff are very rude. They don't give new towels everyday and they don't change the beddings everyday. They don't have cabinets. The bathroom is very small. The towels and coverings have stains and holes and some smell very bad. Found in a building, not actually a big hotel. If you ask for assistance or for supplies they get mad. The pictures found in here do not resemble the actual room. Good location though, because the train station is very near and lots of shops are found outside. But despite this terrible stay in this hotel, two of their staff are very nice which are JACKY and HIS SISTER. They are very hospitable especially Jacky who assisted us. He was patient enough and friendly. :) when we tried getting a deposit, the old man did not give our receipt back. We told him that they don't give a good service and he even got mad at us and said many bad things. The elevator is so narrow.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Xtille Y
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This was an one-and-only experience! The Hotel call itself also as "Tai Wan Hotel". They ask for 100 HK$ key deposit-keep the receipt or don't get the money back. To reach the room I needed to find first another tower entrance in this busting melting pot of cultures. The room was without window and small but with AC. The so called "shared bathroom" was the smallest i ever saw so far- approximatly 80x80 cm / 30x30 inch. Takíng a shower was absolutely not possible their... or maybe doing so while sitting on the toilet.
Attention. Even i was away from thei room just 1,5 hours i got thieves in the room. They broke the number lock of the suitcase and slashed a bag. Since i was aware off this i kept ALL things of value and importance with me. my verdict: AVOID ALL so called hotels in CHUNGKING MANSION.

Room Tip: Either take ALL valuables with you and block the entrance over night or DO NOT stay at any of the Ch...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank JollyBee2012
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed August 21, 2012

i am a budget traveler that is the reason i chosen this hotel. this hostel is actually under HOSTELHK GROUP but mostly occupy the chungking mansion. this is the cheapest that is why i got this hostel. before i book this i already expect most of the problem from this hostel that is why i was not shock with what would be happening. i don't know if i was lucky because from sharing they transferred my room to a private room with bathroom for the same price, i was so happy... they give me a room at 11/f block E it is actually exceeded my expectations when i was there. but the unexpected problem came while i was sleeping... BED BUG, omg i was inform by this from other reviews but really annoy me. the staff is very friendly and kind enough to change the linen and sheets of the bed and spray some bug killer spray, although it lessen but not totally gone and wake me up by their bites. i just don't want to spoil my vacation that time that's why i tried to be patient and pray every night for a free bug-bites hehehe... overall this hostel is good and fit for a budget traveler. it is also clean and secured. if they remove the bed bugs - it is a definite "excellent" rate...

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank George Q
Homewood
Reviewed July 21, 2012

This hostel apparently changes names often. It was known as "Tai Wan" or "Taiwan" when I stayed there.

A group of friends booked a dorm room and since I was staying with my girlfriend, booked a standard double for us. My friends were all Filipino while I am Caucasian and our experiences are different though we both seen the same things relating to the management.

My Experience:
The room is small (didn't expect much, but it was tiny). no window. reasonably clean (slightly dusty and only seen a couple small cockroaches) during the 9 days or so that I was there. the bed was ok. wide enough for two and slept ok. I prepaid the full amount online (Paypal) and there was one line which said it didn't include Paypal's 5% fee. Sure..ok..whatever. I ended up changing my reservation and ended up with a small balance. I confirmed I could pay that at checkin and the total balance due. I also confirmed that my girlfriend would be able to check in (with all proper docs) prior to me as we were arriving separately but I would settle everything when I arrived. So, they wouldn't let my girlfriend check in as she didn't have the money due. There was no mention of the 100HKD key deposit and that 5% paypal amount was due when I checked in. That's a slight problem when I only exchanged enough at the airport to get to the hostel (exchange rates are better at Chung King). It worked itself out. One note: there are no refunds so if you don't like it there, you loose anything paid. (I've included pictures of my standard double)

My Friends experience:
They were put in a room which was for 8 (they booked 11). That was resolved then they were offered a room with a private bath for a small fee. they took it. For some reason, they were moved yet again (not their request). During this entire time, at least one of the beds had bed bugs which feasted on them. A horrible experience for them. There was only enough room to move between the beds sideways (or simply crawl over them) let alone any place to put things like luggage.

Other things of note: It was a common thing to hear arguments in the reception area. These mostly took place between the old guy and customers usually about money. Common words used by the guy included "stupid" and "crazy" in reference to the customer and being spoken to the customer. Oddly, he joked around with me. The younger lady and man are easier to deal with but still stiff on money (and I quote, "it is our money" in reference to someone asking for a refund). The older lady is ok to work with as she tends to just give up and refer you to the younger ones when they are available.

Chung King is full of Hostels (I heard Block B has some nice ones, though I don't have names) and there simply are better options for the same money.

Room Tip: The standard double I had was ok. The dorm type of room was just crazy small. a room for 3/4 was 2 b...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Ben S
Exeter
Reviewed July 11, 2012

After seven months travelling the world I can safely say this is the worse place Ive ever stayed in! It cannot even be called a hostel as there are no facilities at all just tiny rooms in a skyscraper. The room was so small with child sized beds, dirty blankets and the room smelt of farts. There was no window and although there was a bathroom it was like a cuboard with the shower over the toilet so you got the toilet wet when you showered. The staff were unhelpful and noisy and one of them stole a lot of money from my sisters backpack! The actual building is horrible as well, you enter a scabby shopping centre to go up in the lift and it is full of creepy men which is intimidating as they always approach you. The only good point is the location is brilliant but still I would never ever go back here! eughhhh!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends